Going to visit New York for the first time ever.....need help with places to stay, things to do, eat, etc.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated
title pretty much says it all....

gonna be there for a week....what kind of stuff is there to do....where should we stay....what should we eat.....should I go anywhere outside of New York?

just gonna be me and the lady.

Re: Going to visit New York for the first time ever.....need help with places to stay, things to do, eat, etc.

Some Yankees or Mets tickets to start with would work! :cheers

shdw01

EOG Dedicated
Re: Going to visit New York for the first time ever.....need help with places to stay, things to do, eat, etc.

september....giants? jets?

yankees > mets...hehehe...they don't make mistakes!

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Where you staying, Manhattan? What part of NY?

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

that is part of my queston....all I have are plane tickets....i can stay anywhere, do anything....but I know nothing about the city (especially from a tourist standpoint)

ChuteBoxe

EOG Master

NYC has soo much to offer. It's all about your ages/interests. Could you see yourself going to some fancy restaurants, that celebrities visit? Nightclub hopping at some famous venues? Concerts at MSG? Touristy things like visiting 9/11 hole, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building (can go to the top with a ticket), etc... Musuems (Art/History ones are great), Broadway Shows, NYC Sports - Yankees/Mets/Giants/Jets/Rutgers that time of year, Helicopter Tours of the city, Dinner Cruises, the Village, SoHo, ChinaTown, If you're a Beatles fan - The Dakota (where Lennon died & Rosemarie's Baby was filmed), Central Park Horse and Carriage rides, Soprano's tour right over the bridge, Hoboken (Sinatra's favorite place), sooo many things to do.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

NYC has soo much to offer. It's all about your ages/interests. Could you see yourself going to some fancy restaurants, that celebrities visit? Nightclub hopping at some famous venues? Concerts at MSG? Touristy things like visiting 9/11 hole, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building (can go to the top with a ticket), etc... Musuems (Art/History ones are great), Broadway Shows, NYC Sports - Yankees/Mets/Giants/Jets/Rutgers that time of year, Helicopter Tours of the city, Dinner Cruises, the Village, SoHo, ChinaTown, If you're a Beatles fan - The Dakota (where Lennon died & Rosemarie's Baby was filmed), Central Park Horse and Carriage rides, Soprano's tour right over the bridge, Hoboken (Sinatra's favorite place), sooo many things to do.

this sounds AWESOME!

-that week(end) Tenn Titans @ Jets and Red Sox @ Yankees.....didn't even bother looking up NYM....would love to do both but doubt I will get a pass for both

I'm good without the heli tour and gf would not like a dinner cruise

not a fan of beatles (I'm pretty young in that aspect....29)

Would the restaurants, 9/11 hole, statue of L, ESB......

GF would love museums

Not sure what the fascination w/ chinatown and SOHO is but might be worth a look

i know nothing about the city.....

1) what part of the city is best to stay? would like to feel safe and in a decent place but not willing to spend 1k/night

2) what is the mode of transportation? (I hear walking is big....but other than that....taxi? Subway? car?)

3) Places to eat? any suggestions?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

this sounds AWESOME!

-that week(end) Tenn Titans @ Jets and Red Sox @ Yankees.....didn't even bother looking up NYM....would love to do both but doubt I will get a pass for both

I'm good without the heli tour and gf would not like a dinner cruise

not a fan of beatles (I'm pretty young in that aspect....29)

Would the restaurants, 9/11 hole, statue of L, ESB......

GF would love museums

Not sure what the fascination w/ chinatown and SOHO is but might be worth a look

1) what part of the city is best to stay? would like to feel safe and in a decent place but not willing to spend 1k/night

2) what is the mode of transportation? (I hear walking is big....but other than that....taxi? Subway? car?)

If you stay in the city, there are a ton of great places to eat, food won't be a problem. A 'cheap' hotel might be hard to come by, depends on your budget. There are a zillion taxi's, so getting around won't be a problem for you. The Jets actually play in NJ, so you would have to leave the city and drive to NJ to see an NFL game.

Another option would be to stay in North Jersey in much cheaper hotels, you'd have great access to NFL games and you could rent a car and drive into the city (10 minute drive, if you stay in Secaucus or someplace near Giants Stadium)

Next time I go (assuming I don't have friend who lives there) I'll stay on the lower east side, little bit of everyone and everything NY. A ton of bars and retaurants and you are walking distance to SOHO, Battery Park, Brooklyn Bridge, etc. and a $10 cab ride to more touristy stuff like Times Square 5th Street, and Central Park.

Tesco Vee

EOG Veteran

you have to stay in the city. no reason to go to Jersey. it would be akin to saying you are going to vegas but getting a room in Jean NV.
I was there end of April and my room was $200 at a modern spot in mid town (The Royalton). Rooms will seem small the first time you go but why would you be in your room long anyways? if you want swankier i have stayed at The London and W in Midtown before. If you want cheaper Holiday Inn Express near MSG isnt bad.

i love to walk there, subway or cab it. the city is a big grid and if you ever get lost just get in a cab. So many touristy things to do so depends on your style. I like just walkin around the Village for shopping and dining.

subways are safe all hours although maybe a bit sketchy after 3am sometimes.
make sure you dont hop on an express as i have done on accident.

J

joeybagadonuts

you have to stay in the city. no reason to go to Jersey. it would be akin to saying you are going to vegas but getting a room in Jean NV.
I was there end of April and my room was $200 at a modern spot in mid town (The Royalton). Rooms will seem small the first time you go but why would you be in your room long anyways? if you want swankier i have stayed at The London and W in Midtown before. If you want cheaper Holiday Inn Express near MSG isnt bad.

i love to walk there, subway or cab it. the city is a big grid and if you ever get lost just get in a cab. So many touristy things to do so depends on your style. I like just walkin around the Village for shopping and dining.

subways are safe all hours although maybe a bit sketchy after 3am sometimes.
make sure you dont hop on an express as i have done on accident.

Chute's write up is great and he knows the city. I'll also second the W. Hotel in midtown, 43rd and Lex, I think. Stayed there last time I was in NY. Good central location and a decently nice hotel. ( I think it was around 350/400 a night. ) Check out the "meatpacking" district as well for hotels/clubs for the younger crowd. (I'm your age as well and spent lots of my nightlife around there)

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

Boat cruise-near the Intrepid is great.South Street seaport is cool.

Hoboken is fun to break things up.Football games,whether its Jets,Giants or Rutgers are tough tickets.

Peter Lugers steakhouse is a great place to eat(as is Arthur Avenue)

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

not sure but I think i'm there for 7 nights.....

at $400/night I'm looking at $2800 for just my hotel!

at $200-$300/night, I'm looking at $1400-$2100 for my hotel....

I was hoping for the $200-$300, but I think I can live with $350/night ($2450)

$400/night is pretty costly for my spending patterns (I"m stupid and used to free rooms in vegas)

Tesco Vee

EOG Veteran

you can always try for a discount. I work for a big corp and have called up hotels before and said I work at ---- but am coming out for vacation and was wondering if i can still get the corp discount rate. some places are cool about it. doesnt hurt to ask.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

so are NY hotels on the average $350-$400?

I can ask for discounts, but I think I need to understand what is normal so my expectations are in line....

for example, in vegas, at $400/night, I can go to the bellagio (and get some upgrades)......

Tesco Vee

EOG Veteran

if you want cheap, roll the bones at Hotel Chelsea. thats where Sid Vicious killed Nancy and Thomas Dylan died also . dont know anyone that has stayed there tho.

looks about $110 a night.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

Boat cruise-near the Intrepid is great.South Street seaport is cool.

Hoboken is fun to break things up.Football games,whether its Jets,Giants or Rutgers are tough tickets.

Peter Lugers steakhouse is a great place to eat(as is Arthur Avenue)

holy shit, I didn't even think about Rutgers......well....maybe I'll keep it that way....:LMAO

I guess if I wanna see the Jets play I have to be willing to sit in the nosebleeds.....

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

if you want cheap, roll the bones at Hotel Chelsea. thats where Sid Vicious killed Nancy and Thomas Dylan died also . dont know anyone that has stayed there tho.

looks about $110 a night.

I'm good without rolling the dice on my safety....hehehe....

thanks though TV

J

joeybagadonuts

so are NY hotels on the average $350-$400?

I can ask for discounts, but I think I need to understand what is normal so my expectations are in line....

for example, in vegas, at $400/night, I can go to the bellagio (and get some upgrades)......

I'd say 200-400 is avg if you want a room bigger than a closet and no flea bites. You'll be shocked how small the rooms are even in the 400-500 range if you are used to vegas...

Check hotels.com, hotwire, etc. For decent deals. You can also ask for the AAA rate at most places for an easy discount. Or call and ask for the "rack rate" and nego down.

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

I'm good without rolling the dice on my safety....hehehe....

thanks though TV

Rutgers games are a blast.Its a little far(1 hour),but I would
go to a RU game over Jets/Giants.

Last edited:

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

Greetings Shdw01:

If you like Chinese food, the Munchkin Man recommends the Shun Lee Palace, located in Midtown Manhattan:

http://shunleepalace.lanteck.net/index2.htm

Happy dining!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

If I mention the Munchkin Man, do I get special treatment? Or will it be like the time I went to the poker room, mentioned Munchkin Man, and got thoroughly beaten and on the verge of death for the next 3 days!

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Hotels run the gamit depending on what you want. Staying anywhere from Midtown down to Soho/Tribecca should work for you.

I prefer Soho, West Village, 4th st, etc area for clubs/bars but many prefer midtown (quieter - more business).

You can take a train to NJ for the Jets/ Giants.

Good luck

snowtime

EOG Enthusiast

you'll prolly get the chills from stopping and observe the ground zero area and if you're a big beatles' fan with john lennon as might as well see the monumental Strawberry Fields in the Central Park area. Never been to the Big Apple but close I got to it was visiting Newburgh(West Point) that was when I was 5 doing my first memory of the roadtrip but heard the neat HYC stuff from my nephew that been in the city. I'm sure you'll have a grand ol' good times.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

Il Molino for dinner then take her to the Vault or Trapeze

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

If you're gonna spend anywhere near a dime for the hotel you might as well take her to Per Se for dinner - this trip could get pricey for you

Arthur Ave in the Bronx has great Italian food but the Bronx is a total hole.

roach23

Banned

1) mid-town

2) cabs. the subway isn't that bad though.

3) Buddakan - I've only been to the one in Philly but same owner and the food in Philly is aweome.

Per Se - my sister said she had the best meal of her life here but it was super expensive.

Jean-Georges - ate hear about 2 years ago when my pops took my mom and the fam to a broadway show for her bday. awesome french food. best meal i've ever had in nyc.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

NYC has the best restaurants in the world

ChuteBoxe

EOG Master

A few good places to eat (off the top of my head)...

Peter Luger's (Brooklyn)
Casa Bella (Little Italy)
Ferrara's Pastries (Little Italy)
Butter (NoHo)
Tavern On the Green (Central Park)
Sparks Steakhouse (46th St.)
Joe Allen's (46th St.)
Pasti's (Meatpacking)
Sardi's (44th St.)
Puglia's (Little Italy)
Koi (40th St.)
Norma's at Le Parke (57th St.)
Carnegie Deli (55th St.)
Gray's Papaya (Village)
Serendipity 3 (60th St.)
ESPN Zone (Times Square)
Katz Deli (East Houston St.)

Cannon

Banned

Go stay at JJ Golds place in Jersey.

J

joeybagadonuts

Shdw,

Make sure to call the restuarant early. Some of the places mention can take a month advance reservations (per se, for example). Just a heads up. People are giving some great ideas for dinner, but expect to spend 150-500 depending on wine/booze at most of the high end places.

You'll have a great time. Went for my first time about 1.5 years ago and have went back 3x since. Never feel like I get to see everything I wanted to...

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

A few good places to eat (off the top of my head)...

Peter Luger's (Brooklyn)
Casa Bella (Little Italy)
Ferrara's Pastries (Little Italy)
Butter (NoHo)
Tavern On the Green (Central Park)
Sparks Steakhouse (46th St.)
Joe Allen's (46th St.)
Pasti's (Meatpacking)
Sardi's (44th St.)
Puglia's (Little Italy)
Koi (40th St.)
Norma's at Le Parke (57th St.)
Carnegie Deli (55th St.)
Gray's Papaya (Village)
Serendipity 3 (60th St.)
ESPN Zone (Times Square)
Katz Deli (East Houston St.)

Peter Lugers is extremely expensive, no?

J

joeybagadonuts

Peter Lugers is extremely expensive, no?

Best steak I've had on this earth. Worth the price, imo. Have dined at all the big San Fran, Chicago, and Vegas steak houses and thought Peter Luger was the best. Also to be fair have only eaten at 2 NY steakhouses (lugers and bull and bear) so there may be better.

mofome

Banned

:cheers

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

1) how do these hotels rate?

- Grand Hyatt New York
- Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
- Millenium Broadway NY
- Dylan Hotel
- City Club Hotel

2) What is the f'n diff between midtown, downtown, soho, etc.

Boston

EOG Dedicated

first night I went to ny the wifey and I got steaks at peter lugers and drinks at the rainbow room. I don't care how touristy the rainbow room is that view is amazing I have never seen anything like it but I have also been there on a cloudy night and couldn't see anything

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

<TABLE id=events_table style="VISIBILITY: visible" mode="standard" isData="true" max_events="20" isNextMonth="true" curMonth="4" dataFolder="thegarden" uniqueIds=",747,725,816,774,724,814,832,768,836,770,749,827,740,806,818,821,817,831,773,743,835,843,764,807,847,772,723,820,845,775,811,823,755,758,837,825,760,846,808,833,828,689,753,824,"><TBODY class=active _counted="undefined" last="40" first="21"><TR class=highlight><TD class=small_image></TD><TD class=event_date>Sep 14</TD><TD class=event_name>Aerosmith</TD><TD class=venue_loc>Madison Square Garden</TD><TD class=event_time>7:30pm</TD><TD class=options>Get Tickets</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>