Great hire by Illinois

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Wisconsin didn't lose those game because of the system they play, they lost because most of their skill position players were out, they were down to their 3rd string true freshman center and had a freshmen quarterback with very little prep time. In fact, the run up the middle strategy is most likely what kept the Indiana and Northwestern games within 1 score. If only passing systems win games in the big ten, explain why Scott Frost has done diddly at Nebraska since he's been there? Jeff Brohm at Purdue?

Being a defensive minded coach, my assumption would be he's going to build up that side of the ball for Illinois. I would think he's going to run power football, but who knows.

He's going to be at a recruiting disadvantage right from the start as C/U may be crappiest of all the big ten cities.

Why do you keep glossing over the fact that Indiana is built on pass and are in a position to win going forward? Iowa passed twice as much per game than in 2017. Frost isnt pass first, hes a run 1st using rpo. Brohm had a bad year because he made a shit hire in Diaco. The offense wasnt broke that's for sure. Mich state just got Russo from Temple and will be pass first. When everyone is geared up to stop the run, smart people adapt. If Mertz can develop and they adapt no way around it Wisconsin will be a juggernaut again. Illinois has a real talent at QB who will be a soph next year. Will they utilize him properly with bilema? I dont think so was my point.
Runs up the middle kept Wisconsin scoring 7,6,7 against NW, Indiana, Iowa and 20 total in OT against the worst D in the B10 in Minny who was down 4 starters on D.

Why do you keep glossing over the fact that Indiana is built on pass and are in a position to win going forward?

Because Indiana has always been built on the pass and they've been shit until this year when they actually had a defense. Their offensive system has nothing to do with their new found success

When everyone is geared up to stop the run, smart people adapt. If Mertz can develop and they adapt no way around it Wisconsin will be a juggernaut again.

Which goes to my point about Harbaugh at Stanford. Pac 12 defenses were built to stop teams from slinging it around the yard. Then Stanford came in a smashed them in the mouth. It would actually be an advantage to be the 1 team that plays power football. It's the reason Joe Tiller had success initially at Purdue. None of the big ten teams were prepared personnel wise to stop that offense

Runs up the middle kept Wisconsin scoring 7,6,7 against NW, Indiana, Iowa and 20 total in OT against the worst D in the B10 in Minny who was down 4 starters on D.

You do know Wisconsin out gained Northwestern by over 100 yards and was within 1 score even after committing 5 turnovers. You do know Wisconsin outgained Indiana by over 100 yards and was within 1 score even after committing 2 turnovers. They did all this without any of their stating skill position players. Garrett f'n Groshek, a walk on qb converted to running back was their starting tb against Minnesota., 2 of their starting OL were out, they started a 5'6" walk on at wide receiver. You keep dismissing the fact that Wisconsin was decimated by COVID, injuries and any chance at some continuity but were able to stay competitive in all but the Iowa game by . . . running the ball up the middle.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Because Indiana has always been built on the pass and they've been shit until this year when they actually had a defense. Their offensive system has nothing to do with their new found success

Which goes to my point about Harbaugh at Stanford. Pac 12 defenses were built to stop teams from slinging it around the yard. Then Stanford came in a smashed them in the mouth. It would actually be an advantage to be the 1 team that plays power football. It's the reason Joe Tiller had success initially at Purdue. None of the big ten teams were prepared personnel wise to stop that offense

You do know Wisconsin out gained Northwestern by over 100 yards and was within 1 score even after committing 5 turnovers. You do know Wisconsin outgained Indiana by over 100 yards and was within 1 score even after committing 2 turnovers. They did all this without any of their stating skill position players. Garrett f'n Groshek, a walk on qb converted to running back was their starting tb against Minnesota., 2 of their starting OL were out, they started a 5'6" walk on at wide receiver. You keep dismissing the fact that Wisconsin was decimated by COVID, injuries and any chance at some continuity but were able to stay competitive in all but the Iowa game by . . . running the ball up the middle.

K let's get a wager going.
Here is Illinois next year schedule.
N- nebraska
H- UTSA
A- UVA
H- Maryland
A-Purdue
H- Charlotte
A-PSU
H- Wisconsin
H- Rutgers
A- Minnesota
A- Iowa
H- NW
I'll give you or Rail 4.5 over RSW. How much would you like? Let's just act like we have been here before and just bet.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Also Indiana was never pass first before Debeor. Wilson was definitely run heavy and they had a now pretty good NFL RB. Anyone remember his name?

railbird

EOG Master
N- nebraska
H- UTSA
A- UVA
H- Maryland
A-Purdue
H- Charlotte
A-PSU
H- Wisconsin
H- Rutgers
A- Minnesota
A- Iowa
H- NW
I'll give you or Rail 4.5 over RSW. How much would you like? Let's just act like we have been here before and just bet.
its not basketball where you can flip a team in 1 year.

N- nebraska
H- UTSA
A- UVA
H- Maryland
A-Purdue
H- Charlotte
A-PSU
H- Wisconsin
H- Rutgers
A- Minnesota
A- Iowa
H- NW

LOL - if you can find a sucker to take that one. . . There is maybe 1 win on that schedule. I never stated that Illinois would be good. I'm merely refuting your incorrect comment that a team can't win with a run first system.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
LOL - if you can find a sucker to take that one. . . There is maybe 1 win on that schedule. I never stated that Illinois would be good. I'm merely refuting your incorrect comment that a team can't win with a run first system.
There are 3 or 4 games where they will be favored on that schedule sir. I'll take over 3 if you guys wanna do that?

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

I dont believe that was my sentiment at all. I dont believe a I formation with a FB with a neck roll vanilla 2007 system will work today is all. Especially when you have a 4* track star at QB and you lost Bonner to transfer portal and Epstein is meh. However you have some talent at WR as well. If they get 20 pass attempts a game and some RPO reads I'd gamble on 3.5 pure speculation it could happen alone.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. called Jamarcus Russell "John Elway-like."

Still laughing at that comparison.

Russell was the top overall pick of the 2007 NFL Draft.

The Raiders made that mistake.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Jamarcus Russell lasted three seasons in the NFL.

Eighteen touchdowns against 23 interceptions and 15 fumbles.

Yikes!

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

It took Indiana a very long time to embrace the pass. The problem with NU, IU, U of I etc is they should have done this years ago. It is far easier to get a qb or wr transfer than five big linemen like Wisc, OS, Iowa, Mich does. The same applies to other conferences. Now if you want to win a national title, you’ll have to be able to score 35 against Bama or Clemson. Running it down their throats is tough without a lead. Ask ND how that worked vs Clemson last week.

railbird

EOG Master
I forgot about him being a Hoosier. I was thinking of Jordan "Juice" Howard.
My qb flop was paxton lynch from Memphis. I thought he was amazing. When he started crying on the sideline I knew I had possibly gotten that one wrong:)
you were very wrong on josh allen too

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
you were very wrong on josh allen too

Lol you got me there. He was who we thought he was first couple years ago.
About to be dead wrong about Jalen Hurts too it looks like.

I'll give you one in the NBA I was insanely dead wrong about while we are at. Tyler Herro. Its embarassing but I told ER I was fading Miami this time last year because they refuse to bench that slow white kid and hes messing with their veteran presence.

Ben simmons I got wrong as well said he would be a journeyman who wasnt coordinated enough to be a 1 and didnt guard well enough to be a 3. I'm stubborn too. No matter how many chips the lakers win I will stand by my statement that New Orleans won the AD trade:)
Merry christmas to all

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Josh Allen has had a great year. Before we built a bust for him in Canton, let’s see how he does next season. I hope he does great but history spits out qbs like him when teams get the book on how to beat him. The best thing that Buffalo did was get Diggs. He’s far better than I thought.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Bielema named Tony Peterson his OC this morning. Peterson is a experienced QB coach/OC who specializes in passing and developing tempo attacks.
His previous stints were at marshall where he worked Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich to the NFL. He then went to La tech and work with Jeff Driskell and La tech averaged 49 ppg. His last stint was in 2018 at ECU where things were rocky.

Bielema told football focus they will play with a offensive scheme that will be built on pace and tempo. They will play with a physicality and have balance in passing and running the ball.

Im gonna say with this hire. The fullback neck rolls will stay on the VHS for now.