Great Hire by Washington State Football

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
I've never really gotten into the Mike Leach story on here, but I have written two articles in the past about the ordeal - they were rather long, so I won't waste your time with them.

In summary, Mike Leach was a very good head coach at Texas Tech and he took on the son of a former NFL player, and ESPN personality, Craig James. Inevitably his son wasn't very good and didn't work hard, but felt privileged. He ended up making things up about Leach and using his fathers power to spread the rumors.

For all wondering why Feldman left ESPN for CBS (He's one of the best NCAAF writers in America) it's because he wrote a book with Mike Leach, and ESPN approved it. Then when they read it, they didn't like it and fired him because he exposed Craig for being the clown and coward that he was. Craig James hired a PR firm to defame Mike Leach and his name publicly - this was exposed in the book. They did their best to black list Leach from college football, but he now has a job. I would be shocked if he didn't succeed. He's a bit bizarre, and not your normal human being, but he's a hell of a football coach.

newport2

EOG Dedicated
Re: Great Hire by Washington State Football

I had a few beers with him his one year in Norman(1999). He is a unique individual.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Agree, brilliant hire. Wash St might become my second team.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I've never really gotten into the Mike Leach story on here, but I have written two articles in the past about the ordeal - they were rather long, so I won't waste your time with them.

In summary, Mike Leach was a very good head coach at Texas Tech and he took on the son of a former NFL player, and ESPN personality, Craig James. Inevitably his son wasn't very good and didn't work hard, but felt privileged. He ended up making things up about Leach and using his fathers power to spread the rumors.

For all wondering why Feldman left ESPN for CBS (He's one of the best NCAAF writers in America) it's because he wrote a book with Mike Leach, and ESPN approved it. Then when they read it, they didn't like it and fired him because he exposed Craig for being the clown and coward that he was. Craig James hired a PR firm to defame Mike Leach and his name publicly - this was exposed in the book. They did their best to black list Leach from college football, but he now has a job. I would be shocked if he didn't succeed. He's a bit bizarre, and not your normal human being, but he's a hell of a football coach.

We agree on almost NOTHING. But here - we do. FABULOUS hire by WSU. They aren't exactly a program people are talking about and this brings some "pizzazz" to their program. He can't go anywhere but UP and in the Pac 12 he could succeed. Stanford will take a few steps down after this season. Oregon will not be this good forever. Cal is so-so at best. Oregon State is the same and Washington isn't anything to write home about. He is in a very winnable division in a few years once Oregon slides down

As for Feldman - he didn't leave ESPN - as you said - ESPN left him. The bastards who run that place sent him packing because they are the biggest MoFos on the planet - I have enough stories to prove it.

tripp

EOG Master

Probably the best hire of the past few years by any team. Not calling him better or even near the same level as a Saban, Meyer etc type, but those guys went to top level schools that had their choice of coaches. This is a dead program that has been getting two conference wins in a good year. They haven't been to a bowl game since 2003.

Leach will turn things around and is a perfect fit for this conference. Pac 12 is gonna look very good in a few years imo with the coaching additions they've made. I will be interested to see who UCLA lands (although not a very desirable program to me).

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

We agree on almost NOTHING. But here - we do. FABULOUS hire by WSU. They aren't exactly a program people are talking about and this brings some "pizzazz" to their program. He can't go anywhere but UP and in the Pac 12 he could succeed. Stanford will take a few steps down after this season. Oregon will not be this good forever. Cal is so-so at best. Oregon State is the same and Washington isn't anything to write home about. He is in a very winnable division in a few years once Oregon slides down

As for Feldman - he didn't leave ESPN - as you said - ESPN left him. The bastards who run that place sent him packing because they are the biggest MoFos on the planet - I have enough stories to prove it.

That was what I said. I said he was fired, which was absurd. I have a close friend with CBS sports, and Feldman told everyone the story. ESPN is one of the scummiest organizations in the world. The fact that they supported the scumbag Craig James is unreal - especially when Feldman brought so much more to them than James. No one even likes Craig James... That guy ran for Congress too I believe - typical congressman (In the eyes of the public) right there. Hired a PR company to destroy a guy because he didn't play his son on Saturdays - you can't make this shit up.

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

Did your stories mention Leach being a drunk and unwilling to smooze with the boosters? Kissing boosters asses, unfortunately, is part of being a coach a major univerrsity. Boosters, not the state budgets, provide the revenue that is necessary to fund a winning program. Leach is an innovative coach but he's not a saint.

Integrity

EOG Master

That offensive hasn't been exciting since Bledsoe/Leaf so it should work out

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Did your stories mention Leach being a drunk and unwilling to smooze with the boosters? Kissing boosters asses, unfortunately, is part of being a coach a major univerrsity. Boosters, not the state budgets, provide the revenue that is necessary to fund a winning program. Leach is an innovative coach but he's not a saint.

I think it would be fair to infer that I mentioned Leach's issues in my articles as well - since I pointed to his different nature in my initial post. Of course he was unconventional - it's what made Craig James' "findings" seem so realistic. Sadly, Leach is just a boisterous and unconventional guy who doesn't like the "system." The good thing for him is that he's an unbelievable coach, and his system promotes offense which recruits love. If boosters are so stupid that they'd rather lose money with a coach they liked, than win money with a coach they didn't then they aren't great business men. Leach was fired because of false and exaggerated claims started by a privileged kid - he was not fired for his association with boosters.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

That was what I said. I said he was fired, which was absurd. I have a close friend with CBS sports, and Feldman told everyone the story. ESPN is one of the scummiest organizations in the world. The fact that they supported the scumbag Craig James is unreal - especially when Feldman brought so much more to them than James. No one even likes Craig James... That guy ran for Congress too I believe - typical congressman (In the eyes of the public) right there. Hired a PR company to destroy a guy because he didn't play his son on Saturdays - you can't make this shit up.

i did acknowledge you said he was fired by The Mothership (What Dan Patrick calls them). Trust me - I can tell stories about that place from 20 years ago and some now. ESPN is a great place to tune in for watching sports. ESPN is a TERRIBLE place to work. I have a good friend who is about to lose his job there because his a**hole Boss treats him like sh*t even though it is the boss who is the a**hole

pvcpipe

EOG Master

agree....Ole Miss should've made an effort. i know he's a better fit in Pac12 play, but he could've done a lot for a program that's just become irrelevant.

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

TH,

What in the fuck are you talking about:

If boosters are so stupid that they'd rather lose money with a coach they liked, than win money with a coach they didn't then they aren't great business men.

I don't think you understand the business of major college football. Boosters pay for the program. If the boosters don't like the coach then they're not going to donate to the program, therefore the program will go downhill due to a lack of funds. It has nothing to do with them being good businessmen... it's a matter of that most people that donate substantial funds to a football program do so because the want access to the coach and be 'in the know'. These same boosters are invited to go on trips with the team, stand on the sidelines, etc. If a coach doesn't want to have any interaction with these people then the athletic dept has a problem. Leach wanted nothing to do with this type of situation and made it clear the boosters and athletic dept. The handling of the James kid was simply the last straw, not the only reason he was let go.

ajaysdreamplays

EOG Addicted

I'm in disagreement with several of you - I do not think Leach can win at WSU at the level he did at Tech.

Reason being, he won't have the Texas HS players to recruit. There are so many D1 quality players in Texas, the 85/25 rule won't let Texas, OU, and others sign them all. Leach got his share of second tier kids who he made into wunderkinds.

He just won't have that base in the Pacific Northwest, and few Texas kids will follow im to Pullman.

mr merlin

EOG Master

I wonder who the first player will be to punch the scumbag out?

railbird

EOG Master

I'm in disagreement with several of you - I do not think Leach can win at WSU at the level he did at Tech.

Reason being, he won't have the Texas HS players to recruit. There are so many D1 quality players in Texas, the 85/25 rule won't let Texas, OU, and others sign them all. Leach got his share of second tier kids who he made into wunderkinds.

He just won't have that base in the Pacific Northwest, and few Texas kids will follow im to Pullman.
he gets tons of players from the IE and Sandiego