Greetings from Louisville

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Goodbye Reno, hello Louisville.

Just completed the 2,100-mile drive from "The Biggest Little City in the World" to the home of Churchill Downs, a legendary racetrack since 1875.

Can you tell I'm a gambler?

Hooking up with EOG contributor PARLAYNOW this morning to attend EQUESTRICON, a celebratory convention for horseplayers by horseplayers.

Former track announcer Tom Durkin shares memories of the first-ever Breeders' Cup in less than an hour.

Back later today with a full report.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
Have a good time JK, you going to the races on FRI/SAT?

Never heard of Equestricon.

Is it geared towards the horse industry or horseplayers?

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Have a good time JK, you going to the races on FRI/SAT ?

Never heard of Equestricon. Is it geared towards the horse industry or horse players?

I'll attend the races at Churchill Downs on Wednesday and then hit the road before the masses arrive.

This is the Second Annual Equestricon.

Grossly overrated.

Not many horseplayers in attendance.

It's more of a trade convention where attendees are looking for attention and employment.

Some call Equestricon a "fan festival."

I paid $80 to attend the two-day event and I wasn't even afforded a seat for yesterday's post position draw.

Bah humbug.

Never again.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Enjoy JK....if you get a chance, take a drive and check out the great horse farms....

I'm a horseplayer, not a horse enthusiast.

I've traveled past the farms on my way to Keeneland but I have little or no interest in visiting the breeding farms.

Besides, I'm allergic to hay.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
You really should go....it's world class.....how long will you be in the Ville?

https://www.jeffruby.com/louisville

I dined yesterday with EOG contributor PARLAYNOW but he selected a smokehouse in downtown Louisville.

Bad handicap.

PARLAYNOW mentioned Jeff Ruby's and if he's around today, I'll treat him to dinner there.

Thanks for the recommendation, Screw.

I leave Louisville Wednesday night.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Almost wish I was there...I'm in PHX

Drove more than 1,000 miles last Sunday so I was exhausted Monday.

I'll be fresh to attend the handicapping seminars scheduled for today.

Dink will be a featured speaker.

I'm eager to hear his presentation.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If Iowa wins this week at Purdue, will be in Iowa City for NORTHWESTERN game...………..stop by.

Hard to believe but Northwestern controls its destiny to make the Big Ten Championship Game.

Iowa tried hard but failed last Saturday in Happy Valley.

Quarterback Nate Stanley with a costly interception late in the game.

Iowa needs to win its last four games and needs Wisconsin to stumble at least once to win the Big Ten West.

A good source whispered in my ear that Iowa will close a favorite this week against Purdue.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
NW tremendous football program

After years of struggling, the program is in good hands with Pat Fitzgerald at the helm.

The Cats play a smart brand of football under Coach Fitz and that's a quality sorely lacking at many FBS schools.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Enjoy the trip and good luck JK

Need to do more flying and less driving as I get older.

My body can take 12-15 hours of driving but my eyes bug out after logging more than 1,000 miles.

Quick story: On Saturday night, I was listening to Game 4 of the World Series while traveling through Nebraska on Interstate 80.

I was exhausted but I had a play on the Red Sox +1.5 runs so I wanted to hear the end of the game.

The game was scoreless heading to the bottom of the sixth inning so I figured I had nine Dodger outs to survive (Bottom 6, bottom 7 and bottom 8).

Things were looking good until Yasiel Puig came to the plate.

Puig hit a three-run homer to cap a four-run inning and I went from a sizable favorite to a massive underdog.

I was just about to pull over and find a Motel 6 or Super 8 when Jackie Bradley hit a three-run shot to put the Red Sox back in the game and put me back in the role of the favorite.

I went from driving exhaustion to driving exhilaration.

I drove another three hours soaking in the bask of Boston's come-from-behind win.

Can you say gambling adrenaline?

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
For anyone interested in learning more about Equestricon. Here are links to their website and Twitter.
Looks like a Horse racing fan convention where you get to pay to interact with people working in the industry.
Started Monday, ends today.

https://equestricon.com/

@EQconvention

Bigrunner

EOG Master
I dined yesterday with EOG contributor PARLAYNOW but he selected a smokehouse in downtown Louisville.

Bad handicap.

PARLAYNOW mentioned Jeff Ruby's and if he's around today, I'll treat him to dinner there.

Thanks for the recommendation, Screw.

I leave Louisville Wednesday night.
Jeff Ruby good person with a good heart. Questionable ideology. Hope you get to go to Ruby's.

Last edited: