Happy 90th Birthday to the best baseball player that I have ever seen in my lifetime...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
1620312706795.png

One of the first library books I ever checked out.

Credit the Giants organization for the address of the team's ballpark now named Oracle Park.

What's the address?

24 Willie Mays Plaza

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
He was at the ass end with the Mets when I started watching baseball. Sucks I missed his prime. But if I hadn’t then that would make me as old as VD, that’s no bueno either

ouch

EOG Dedicated
I remember the first time I saw Willie Mays play in person.

It was at Connie Mack Stadium in the early 1960s against the Phillies. I was just a little kid.

I remember walking up the tunnel with my dad into the stands, gazing out onto the field......and there he was..........#24.

It was like looking at Zeus.

For people of my generation, it is hard to convey the "it" factor that this guy carried around with him. There was something magical about it.

That night, he hit a home run, stole a base, and made several basket catches (his trademark) in the outfield.

It sounds ridiculous to say.....but it was absolutely thrilling.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I met Willie at a memorabilia show. He was one of the biggest pricks. Gave him a pass because he dealt with a lot of racism in the past. Gibson and Frank Robby were like this also.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
a long time ago in baseball land -especially New York- there used to be a continuous argument/discussion -
who's better Mantle or Mays
that was considered serious.
Seems ridiculous now.

mr merlin

EOG Master
a long time ago in baseball land -especially New York- there used to be a continuous argument/discussion -
who's better Mantle or Mays
that was considered serious.
Seems ridiculous now.
Not ridiculous, i would say micky was better for his peak years.

Brayden11

EOG Dedicated
I only remember seeing him late in his career but he still had a presence on the field. I had a chance to get his autograph when he was the honorary captain for the NL All Star game in Milwaukee in 1975...me and couple buddies went to the Pfister hotel were all the ball players stayed back then and he was a class act. Signed autographs for every kid after he came out of the restaurant and there was probably 30/40 kids hounding him.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
I agree that Willie was the best. He only won once and Trout has never won it all. Goes to show you that great centerfielders are fun to watch but don't make that much difference, unless you hit like Mantle in the Series and have a strong supporting cast.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I wonder what memories Bigrunner would share about the "Say Hey Kid."

Stop it, JK.

Stop it right now.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I remember the first time I saw Willie Mays play in person.

It was at Connie Mack Stadium in the early 1960s against the Phillies. I was just a little kid.

I remember walking up the tunnel with my dad into the stands, gazing out onto the field......and there he was..........#24.

It was like looking at Zeus.

For people of my generation, it is hard to convey the "it" factor that this guy carried around with him. There was something magical about it.

That night, he hit a home run, stole a base, and made several basket catches (his trademark) in the outfield.

It sounds ridiculous to say.....but it was absolutely thrilling.

Guaranteed that I was there...My Dad took me there for every time the Giants were in town....My pops was a NY Giant fan before the move to San Francisco....

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Mays, Aaron, and Clemente....NL all star outfield for many years in a row....Frank Robinson when he played for the Reds was always the fourth wheel....

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
Mays, Aaron, and Clemente....NL all star outfield for many years in a row....Frank Robinson when he played for the Reds was always the fourth wheel....
It's actually an interesting question with no wrong answer- If you were a manager and you could have only one on your team who would you choose -Frank Robinson or Roberto Clemente ?
FWIW I'd choose Frank Robinson

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
It's actually an interesting question with no wrong answer- If you were a manager and you could have only one on your team who would you choose -Frank Robinson or Roberto Clemente ?
Wonder who Rail would choose? I would take Clemente....

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

You are correct....there is no wrong answer....