Hawk Harrelson Day

Pickman Jones

EOG Dedicated
Yesterday the Chicago White Sox had Hawk Day in honour of Ken Harrelson. The ceremony before the game was real good. I don't really know a lot about him but I enjoyed watching him speak. It was good for a few reasons, I never really get to see to many retirement type ceremonies from other teams. Some of the highlights were the praise he heaped on his wife for helping him with his temper. Talking about the 1983 team. The team from like 1994ish when the strike wrecked that teams chance at winning. The rebuild around the 2005 team that won it all.

they chose the Red Sox game to do it i think because of his connections with them playing and he spoke about Chris Sale on the Red Sox now. Sale was sitting at the top of the dugout watching and clapping for the whole ceremony.

Red Sox play by play man Dave O'Brien from NESN said they were talking before the game and Hawk said I didn't wright anything down im just going to wing it.
​​​​​This was good stuff. They got it on YouTube, I suggest checking it out.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Not my kind of announcer but "Hawk" has a loyal following in Chicago.

A homer who never apologized for rooting for the White Sox.

Also has a history of criticizing umpires.

I prefer Steve Stone's cerebral approach to baseball commentary.

Pickman Jones

EOG Dedicated
One other thing was when he was talking about his wife and when he was done playing. He was going to try and be a pro golfer and his temper was getting in the way of his game. Dave O'Brien on Nesn was saying that Hawks temper helped him as a baseball player but you can't have one in the golf game.

Pickman Jones

EOG Dedicated
John Kelly;n7453483 said:
Not my kind of announcer but "Hawk" has a loyal following in Chicago.

A homer who never apologized for rooting for the White Sox.

Also has a history of criticizing umpires.

I prefer Steve Stone's cerebral approach to baseball commentary.

seems like the kind of guy that if he wasn't in the booth he would be in the stands cheering them on.

Pickman Jones

EOG Dedicated
FairWarning;n7453485 said:
His last game will be vs the Cubs.

My aunt is big Cubs fan and she went out for Cubs games at beginning of the week and this day for Sox game. When she got back this morning she was just saying that about she thinks that is his last game. She wishes she planned it around that.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Pickman Jones;n7453488 said:
My aunt is big Cubs fan and she went out for Cubs games at beginning of the week and this day for Sox game. When she got back this morning she was just saying that about she thinks that is his last game. She wishes she planned it around that.

Unless he changed it, his last game is 9/23 vs the Cubs.