Help the Kids of Costa Rica

It's that time of the year folks, if you are feeling it in your heart to help out some of the less fortunate children of Costa Rica we will be collecting formula and diapers for a local orphanage. Used baby and children's clothing is also acceptable if it is in good condition.

If you arent in a position to drop off the donation yourself Im sure some sort of easy payment method can be arranged and I will personally go and buy the items that you would like to pledge. Current diaper and forumula prices will be posted as soon as I can get to Pricesmart.

Re: Christmas Formula and Diaper drive for the orphans

Zack from America's Bookie just pledged $250 to get the ball rolling.

One at a time people, one at a time!

macau

EOG Addicted

hello Nes - i will match Zachs donation, lets meet up :btj:

Very generous of you Macau. Im going to have a sit down with the administrator today tas well as getting a look around at their facilities to see what they need the most. Although I have been involved with helping the children of CR for the last decade is my first time helping this particular group of children whom are mostly disabled and all taken away from abusive households.

Im on the santa ana side of town but can travel as well as take BCR transfers. Looking forward to meeting you.

Nes, I'm sure I can come up with a few shekels. Stop on by at some point.

Nes, I'm sure I can come up with a few shekels. Stop on by at some point.

Nice, thanks Loman you always do. Even though Im focusing a good percentage of my attention to a new cause this year I still plan on doing my standard contribution to Open Arms as well. I have been very fortunate this year on many levels, and am looking to hooking up the children and attempting to do my part.

"You cant change the world but you can make a dent"

- Sheldon Mopes

You are a good man Nes.

BUMP for thecentaur

I finally got to know the place a little better today. There are 8 houses with about 8 kids in each one and about 60% of the kids are special needs and have urinary incontinence issues and like most of these children's homes they need to get their vitamins wich usually comes in the form of a shake type supplement similar to Ensure. Their playground is also in rough shape in quite a few places and pose a risk to the kids in a couple places(exposed screws, rusty nails, hooks etc) and they are missing nets off their Soccer and Basketball courts. One thing that stood out for me was that the baby swings looked like torture devices, since there was only a couple babies I went ahead and got replacements today out of pocket. We are shooting to fix the rest of the playground by mid January and hopefully one day of reaching our goal on keeping these kids supplied with dry diapers and a healthy diet year round.

From the Iron Maiden

View attachment 11591

View attachment 11592

to the sultans of swing

View attachment 11593

Lloyd Christmas

EOG Senior Member

NES,

I'd like to help out. Being a new father myself, it's tough to think about how little they probably have. Contact me and let me know how I can contribute.

NES,

I'd like to help out. Being a new father myself, it's tough to think about how little they probably have. Contact me and let me know how I can contribute.

thanks and congratulations on becoming a father, it really does change your perspective doesnt it. So thankful that my kids are healthy and have everything they need.

Re: Help the Kids of Costa Rica

paypal, moneygram, western union and costa rica bank transfers can be arranged for anyone looking to contribute. I will cover all transfer fees out of my own pocket.

yeah for sure. I dont want to show up empty handed so give me a few days to do some shopping for open arms.

Also big ups to Macau whom I met up with today to pick up his very generous contribution.

It's incredibly gratifying to see good hearts all around this season! Blessings and much success to all! Good job Nes! (;

Thanks payperheadagents, should I write you down for a hundred ;) :btj:

I had a nice conversation with one of the sponsorbooks yesterday and lets just say there is some serious hope for this playground yet. More info to come.

Ezio Auditore

EOG Member

Just an FYI NES, diapers are cheaper at WalMart. They sell the same box size that PriceSmart does, but for I think 12k vs 14k at Price. Dunno about formula, haven't had to buy that.

The adult diapers too? Tena I believe they are called. These arent for babies they are for bigger kids.

BTW How much should I put you down for?

degengambler63

EOG Senior Member

what a gift you are giving , Nes. easy to give money. what you do with your time,
well you're a hero. i wish i spoke fluent spanish so i could offer my time to orphanages
and senior citizen homes. it's a fucking shame how little the government does in C.R.
to help those who cannot help themselves. i guess they are just too busy lining
their pockets then to share with the handicap and elderly.
PM me with an account at BCR or we can meet in Belen--santa ana is torture.

what a gift you are giving , Nes. easy to give money. what you do with your time,
well you're a hero. i wish i spoke fluent spanish so i could offer my time to orphanages
and senior citizen homes. it's a fucking shame how little the government does in C.R.
to help those who cannot help themselves. i guess they are just too busy lining
their pockets then to share with the handicap and elderly.
PM me with an account at BCR or we can meet in Belen--santa ana is torture.

I wish I had more time to really get involved with these kids but unfortunately I work full time and a family that demands a good chunk of my free time. I'd say my gift to these kids more than anything is being able to rally the troops, fortunately despite(and also thanks to) my big mouth I have made some good connections and met some very generous souls who have helped out tons over the years. I can probably make it to Belen on any Thurs or Friday (week of your choosing). Just tell me when and where brother.

Just a small update, we have new basketball nets and a tetherball set-up on the way courtesy of an anonymous donor

Hey degengambler when would be a good day/time to meet up? Generally Im free in the evenings after 5.

On top of the playground we are going to renovate for them and in my opinion the most important part of this drive here is what the kids need on a monthly basis:

7 Large cans of PROTEINEX ( Vanilla Only)

2 Large Cans of ENTEREX

1 Large Cans of DUOCAL

This is what they use monthly but we are shooting for a year's supply and then to re-up for them next year. To be honest I dont even know where to find these brands yet, but I should know hopefully by the end of the day.

Thanks for everyone who has shown support so far.

First of all I just want to thank everyone for their generosity and give an update of the current situation. Since this a community project that you are all a part of I want to completely open the books for you guys so you can see exactly where your money is going.

Amount Pledged so far $4,290
Playground cost -$3,000 *
Repairs/materials -$1,000
Formula Diapers -$2,556 *

Amount short of goal: 2266*

More Info:

*Playground cost - At this time I only can provide an approximation of playground cost at the moment, I apologize for that but I am waiting to hear back from a couple companies. I could easily be under-estimating the cost of this part of the project but probably not by more than 500-750 USD.

*Repairs Materials - The repairing of the basket ball goals, tether ball installation, swing repair, buidling of new soccer goals and light maintenance on the existing playground. This is also an approximation, hopefully it will cost less, every dollar will go towards the kids if there is anything left.

*Formula Diapers - The budget quoted above is based upon a 6 month goal, if enough support is gained we would like to do a years worth, here is the breakdown:

Item: 1 month 6 months 12 months
formula 210 //// 1260 //// 2520
diapers 216 //// 1296 //// 2592
TOTAL 426 //// 2556 //// 5112

*Amount needed - Things could run a little higher than my estimates, but if the amount isnt raised I will come out of pocket to make sure all projects are completed.

------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately due to schedule conflicts things are not happening at the rate that I hoped, since this is a government institution timing is critical. Having said that things are moving along at a decent enough rate and things are looking very good so far.

Things already accomplished:

• 2 month supply of Formula and dietary supplements dropped off
• 2 month supply of medium sized adult Diapers dropped off
• 2 New basketball nets purchased and ready for installation
• 2 New Little Tyke baby swings purchased and installed
• 1 Tetherball set up purchased
• 1 high quality Soccer ball purchased
• 1 high quality Basketball purchased

Things that need to be done:

• Purchase Another 4-8 months supply of diapers and formula
• Install tetherball
• Bring in a welder to fix basketball and soccer goals
• Install hoop nets/repair 1 broken goal
• Build new soccer goals
• Purchase and install new wooden playground
• Repair existing swingsets and playground areas

More info to come as it becomes available. Thanks again for everyone’s support.

First of all I just want to thank everyone for their generosity and give an update of the current situation. Since this a community project that you are all a part of I want to completely open the books for you guys so you can see exactly where your money is going.

Amount Pledged so far $4,290
Playground cost -$3,000 *
Repairs/materials -$1,000
Formula Diapers -$2,556 *

Amount short of goal: 2266*

More Info:

*Playground cost - At this time I only can provide an approximation of playground cost at the moment, I apologize for that but I am waiting to hear back from a couple companies. I could easily be under-estimating the cost of this part of the project but probably not by more than 500-750 USD.

*Repairs Materials - The repairing of the basket ball goals, tether ball installation, swing repair, buidling of new soccer goals and light maintenance on the existing playground. This is also an approximation, hopefully it will cost less, every dollar will go towards the kids if there is anything left.

*Formula Diapers - The budget quoted above is based upon a 6 month goal, if enough support is gained we would like to do a years worth, here is the breakdown:

Item: 1 month 6 months 12 months
formula 210 //// 1260 //// 2520
diapers 216 //// 1296 //// 2592
TOTAL 426 //// 2556 //// 5112

*Amount needed - Things could run a little higher than my estimates, but if the amount isnt raised I will come out of pocket to make sure all projects are completed.

------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately due to schedule conflicts things are not happening at the rate that I hoped, since this is a government institution timing is critical. Having said that things are moving along at a decent enough rate and things are looking very good so far.

Things already accomplished:

? 2 month supply of Formula and dietary supplements dropped off
? 2 month supply of medium sized adult Diapers dropped off
? 2 New basketball nets purchased and ready for installation
? 2 New Little Tyke baby swings purchased and installed
? 1 Tetherball set up purchased
? 1 high quality Soccer ball purchased
? 1 high quality Basketball purchased

Things that need to be done:

? Purchase Another 4-8 months supply of diapers and formula
? Install tetherball
? Bring in a welder to fix basketball and soccer goals
? Install hoop nets/repair 1 broken goal
? Build new soccer goals
? Purchase and install new wooden playground
? Repair existing swingsets and playground areas

More info to come as it becomes available. Thanks again for everyone?s support.

Also if you count the two baby swings I replaced last month there were a total of 20 swings that either got replaced or are in the process of being replaced. They looked more like BBQ grills than seats, the old chains were also replaced with new coated chains.

View attachment 11591

View attachment 11593