High Speed Train From LA to Vegas

Heim

EOG Master
Most of you know that the project is back on thanks to 12B from the federal government.

Is this thing ever going to be built? There was another attempt in 2005 by Marnel who bought 'The M'...it failed miserably.

Now the CEO of Brightline Rail says a roundtrip tix will cost $400 for a 2+ hour train ride.

Geez, the tax money they waste 🤦

blueline

EOG Master
Trying to separate Californians...and people in general from their cars...tough sell.

Take a look at a McDonalds...drive-thru line wraps around the building...zero people at the counter....just how people are

cheapseats

EOG Master
You can fly in 55 mins from OC, Ontario, LB, Burbank or LAX for half that cost. And there's not that many who fear flying.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Trying to separate Californians...and people in general from their cars...tough sell.

Take a look at a McDonalds...drive-thru line wraps around the building...zero people at the counter....just how people are

Look for that trend to continue.

Youngsters today avoid human interaction.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
The train runs from Vegas to Rancho Cucamonga.

OK - so how do people from Vegas then get from Rancho to SoCal?

Rent a car?

Knowing what the cost of the train is and the cost of renting a car in Rancho to drive around SoCal - this makes NO sense for people coming from Vegas. Going TO Vegas makes some sense but it depends where the train stops in Vegas.

Add it all up and driving to/from Vegas will be the much better - and lesser expensive - trip.

A DUMB idea that is a massive waste of taxpayer money.

railbird

EOG Master
Most of you know that the project is back on thanks to 12B from the federal government.

Is this thing ever going to be built? There was another attempt in 2005 by Marnel who bought 'The M'...it failed miserably.

Now the CEO of Brightline Rail says a roundtrip tix will cost $400 for a 2+ hour train ride.

Geez, the tax money they waste 🤦
400? use to be 39 on southwest

mr merlin

EOG Master
The US has a huge and relatively efficient mass transit system that's nationwide. It's called air travel.

$400 to travel from LA to vegas is insane. I would consider $100 to be too much.

Where I am there are a few light rail lines that are underused and ran huge cost overruns, one of them loses over $100 for every rider, think about that.

blueline

EOG Master

Rent a car?

Knowing what the cost of the train is and the cost of renting a car in Rancho to drive around SoCal - this makes NO sense for people coming from Vegas. Going TO Vegas makes some sense but it depends where the train stops in Vegas.

Add it all up and driving to/from Vegas will be the much better - and lesser expensive - trip.

I read some time ago they plan to go deeper into LA.
I think the vegas station is being built near Silverton area

They are charging $139 mid-day one way from Orlando to Miami for 1st class.

Early and late day less expensive.

If the $200 vegas fare is 1st class its not as bad as it originally sounds.

Heim

EOG Master
I doubt this will ever materialize. Money will go into the pockets of contractors, sub- contractors and politicians. Sure they broke ground, but inevitably some issues will pop up to stop construction, environmental, money, feasibility...

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

Rent a car?

There is a Metrolink train that goes from RC to Union Station. Just transfer.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
There is a Metrolink train that goes from RC to Union Station. Just transfer.

What if you want to go to Disneyland? I know people can take a train (close to) there but with Heim and I living in the area - we have our doubts this ever gets done.

mr merlin

EOG Master
The US has a huge and relatively efficient mass transit system that's nationwide. It's called air travel.

$400 to travel from LA to vegas is insane. I would consider $100 to be too much.

Where I am there are a few light rail lines that are underused and ran huge cost overruns, one of them loses over $100 for every rider, think about that.
I was a little off, they're losing $400-700 per passenger. LOL. In the best of times they lost $20 every time a rider hopped on. Just think about it, it would be cheaper to fly helicopters all over picking people up and dropping them off than operating a failing rail line.

But Northstar’s numbers remain stark: Ridership in May was 1,158, a low point this year that recovered slightly in August, according to the most recent figures available. But it’s far cry from the nearly 57,000 passengers in January, before the outbreak.

From a budget perspective, the council estimates the subsidy per passenger is $62.95 so far this year, which includes a CARES Act infusion from the federal government.

Even before the pandemic, the subsidy for Northstar was among the highest in the Metro Transit system at $19.39 per passenger in 2019.

“Northstar, even on its best days, was under duress, and now it’s close to bleeding out,” said Anoka County Commissioner Matt Look. He says the average passenger subsidy in August was about $794, but Metro Transit says it was about $445 including help from the federal government.

Either way, Look and others in Anoka County are questioning Northstar’s future, especially with the advent of telecommuting and an uptick in downtown Minneapolis crime.