Hot stove thread

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
I think the Linder trade curbed the Mets enthusiasm for Springer. He was not coming cheaply and the Mets, looking for a CF upgrade, were skeptical. whether the 31 year-old Springer would need to be shifted to a corner position shortly into his contract.

Bad job of vetting by the Mets, but I truly doubt that Porter’s firing had anything to do with Springer’s decision.

I do like the signing by the Jays though. That's the kind of team that needs a free agent at a semi-reasonable price. Teams that are on the fringe of playoffs get a lot of value out of the extra theoretical wins they get from a free agent, especially one who upgrades a position as much as Springer can. Making the playoffs is huge for the team's bottom line in normal times. Teams that are not realistically getting to the playoffs or teams that are already there are wasting their money with big name FAs.

Valuist

EOG Master
Jameson Taillon acquired by the Yankees. He has hardly pitched the past 2 years and also has beaten cancer but he could be solid with a huge improvement in supporting cast.

Heim

EOG Master
Arenado to the Cards is mind boggling however there was word he could opt out after 2021....why
he would opt out on a 260 million extension is also mind boggling? But it does give Rocks some
financial freedom. Geez he made up 27% of Rockies payroll.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Arenado to the Cards is mind boggling however there was word he could opt out after 2021....why
he would opt out on a 260 million extension is also mind boggling? But it does give Rocks some
financial freedom. Geez he made up 27% of Rockies payroll.

Wrong. Read more details. They will pay 50m of the current contract over the course of the next 7 years. They literally traded a HOF player got nothing in return and paid out of the ass to do so. It's the worst trade in the history of MLB. Theyll never spend a dime in Free agency and will trade Story, Marquez etc by ASB. Worst ownership in sports.
They literally stated that they felt this was the best offer out there. Are you fucking kidding me?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The only MLB team that plays in the Mountain time zone hits a new low.

How can you trade the best player in franchise history during his prime years?

Reading the Denver Post this morning, the fans are ready to revolt.

As I understand it, Arenado and the team's general manager (Birdich?) were engaged in a bitter feud.

Sidenote: Only 7% of the country's population lives in the Mountain time zone.

MrTop

EOG Master
barstool sports and mets owner went at it on twitter.... mets owner cancels twitter.. barstool sports owners does not like what hedge funds and robin hood did to the small investors.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Wrong. Read more details. They will pay 50m of the current contract over the course of the next 7 years. They literally traded a HOF player got nothing in return and paid out of the ass to do so. It's the worst trade in the history of MLB. Theyll never spend a dime in Free agency and will trade Story, Marquez etc by ASB. Worst ownership in sports.
They literally stated that they felt this was the best offer out there. Are you fucking kidding me?

BINGO!

If they were gonna pay $50M I am sure the Dodgers could have offered a lot better but no way you want to trade him to a team in the same division and see him come to your place 9-10 times a season.

Same reason Texans won't trade Watson to the Jags - don't want him in the same division (among many more reasons)

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Not so fast....let's see how he does in a pitcher's park.
I'm willing to wager he hits 30 home runs if he plays 140 games and wins at least one gold glove in the next 2 years if he stays in st. Louis. That's for everyone not just Heim. Dm me here or Twitter for serious inquiries.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I'm willing to wager he hits 30 home runs if he plays 140 games and wins at least one gold glove in the next 2 years if he stays in st. Louis. That's for everyone not just Heim. Dm me here or Twitter for serious inquiries.
And he's either batting right behind or in front of Goldschmidt. Can't figure out Rockies ownership on how they couldn't add to that team.

Seems insane but that's Boras. Word is that if the Rockies traded Arenado they might have to adjust a deal to reflect how much he makes. He's got a market salary with player option less than Bryant. No way teams will pay more for Bryant than Arenado considering the defensive differences.

Exactly as I said months ago. The world is changing fast for these guys on free agent contracts, about half the teams are going to stop paying for any of them and the players and agents are going to cry out collusion. But at the end of the day, if you aren't winning then having a guy who in theory wins you 3-5 more games a season is of little utility value.

Rox fans are outraged, but the outrage has been going on for years. This offseason has just been worse. You'd normally say they were tanking but the system is so bad and devoid of big league talent that it doesn't even take an effort to tank, just trade off a few good MLB pieces and the prospects for the team are scary bad. Top it off with this GM who seems worthless and gets taken out to the woodshed in every trade he makes is still around. That to me is unreal. If you are going to lose, get rid of all the guys that put you in this position and install new people who understand it will be rough for a bit, but they can come up with a plan to bring better times sooner.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
barstool sports and mets owner went at it on twitter.... mets owner cancels twitter.. barstool sports owners does not like what hedge funds and robin hood did to the small investors.
Is that exchange anywhere? I was looking for it.

Valuist

EOG Master
How much has Arenado's numbers been pumped up by Coors?

Lifetime road numbers: batting average: .263 slugging pct: .471.

I wouldn't worry about his home/road splits too much. He may not be quite as productive offensively, but he's a good team leader and the glove on that guy is incredible. I do think there is concern about if he's reached his peak and how long he can stay there. The last 2-3 years of the deal might be painful, but the Cards have the resources to figure out how to deal with that. The Rockies don't, they would be like they are with Blackmon, just say well that money we pay him is money we don't spend elsewhere and not deal him or do anything about it. The owners are literally like accountants, they say here's how much money we brought in, we said we would spend xx% on our payroll so this is what we spend. Its a horrible way to run a team because what happens is the GM then spends to those amounts every year. Guys who don't deserve deals get them and then when they blow up, guys you really do need to spend on don't get brought in or retained as it has been this year. They walked away from Dahl this year, almost walked away from the Jon Gray deal too which is still not at free agent level. All because revenues are down, of course, so they told their GM you have to spend whatever percentage less this year. Its insane and everyone wants them to sell the team, but they just see it as an investment that has to follow their fiscal discipline.

MrTop

EOG Master
Is that exchange anywhere? I was looking for it.

Rough crowd on Twitter tonight.Hey stock jockeys keep bringing it
— Steven Cohen (@StevenACohen2)January 27, 2021

On Thursday, Cohen got into a heated Twitter exchange with Dave Portnoy, founder of Barstool Sports, who blasted Point72, hedge fund Citadel and brokerage platform Robinhood for their roles in GameStop trades.

Cohen tweeted back to Portnoy, saying, “Hey Dave, What’s your beef with me. I’m just trying to make a living just like you. Happy to take this offline.”

“I don’t do offline,” Portnoy replied.

Dave Portnoy
@stoolpresidente

·

Only absolute assholes threaten family and children. But that doesn’t change the fact it would be idiotic not to question Steve Cohen’s involvement in the $gme fiasco. His career and ties to the major players involved demand it. He unequivocally denied it. So has everybody
Quote Tweet

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman
· 6h
STATEMENT FROM STEVE COHEN “I’ve really enjoyed the back and forth with Mets fans on Twitter which was unfortunately overtaken this week by misinformation unrelated to the Mets that led to our family getting personal threats. So I’m going to take a break for now. Continued...

MrTop

EOG Master
Theo Epstein Joins Private-Equity Firm That Is Buying Stakes in Teams
The former Red Sox and Cubs executive has joined Arctos Sports Partners, a firm that is dedicated to buying minority shares of pro clubs

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Dodgers paid too much....

Not really. A 3-year deal and for around the same price as they are paying Kershaw who is in the last year of his deal. The way I look at it: We are getting Bauer in 2022 and 2023 (unless he opts out for around the same price as Kershaw and I don't know one person who would rather have Kershaw over Bauer in 2022 and 2023.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Not really. A 3-year deal and for around the same price as they are paying Kershaw who is in the last year of his deal. The way I look at it: We are getting Bauer in 2022 and 2023 (unless he opts out for around the same price as Kershaw and I don't know one person who would rather have Kershaw over Bauer in 2022 and 2023.

Bauer will make more this year than the entire payroll of three MLB teams....he is not worth 40 million...

Jameson Taillon acquired by the Yankees. He has hardly pitched the past 2 years and also has beaten cancer but he could be solid with a huge improvement in supporting cast.
More than the supporting cast of players behind him Taillon is going from arguably the worst franchise for pitching development to one of the best. If Taillon is healthy he could become a solid # 3 type SP

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
Angels still shopping at the 99c store. Bauer too high.....Alex Cobb?....well at least he'll eat up some innings.

hard to compete vs the dodgers when they throw that type of money around.

The LAD organizational development is on an entire different level with the rest of MLB. Through proper coaching and scouting at all levels they've grown endless prospects from their farm and turned around careers with cast offs like Muncy, Jacob Turner, Kiki Hernandez, Chris Taylor etc.... Doing so has allowed them to save a boatload of cash and provided the luxury to pay for a horse like Bauer. I'm not normally in favor of big contracts for pitchers 30 or over but Bauer is an exception. He's stayed healthy being able to rack up high pitch counts with proper mechanics mimicking Licecums delivery. Bauer keeps his elbow below his shoulder through every point of delivery.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
The LAD organizational development is on an entire different level with the rest of MLB. Through proper coaching and scouting at all levels they've grown endless prospects from their farm and turned around careers with cast offs like Muncy, Jacob Turner, Kiki Hernandez, Chris Taylor etc.... Doing so has allowed them to save a boatload of cash and provided the luxury to pay for a horse like Bauer. I'm not normally in favor of big contracts for pitchers 30 or over but Bauer is an exception. He's stayed healthy being able to rack up high pitch counts with proper mechanics mimicking Licecums delivery. Bauer keeps his elbow below his shoulder through every point of delivery.

BINGO

How many players are homegrown! A LOT! People always seem to forget that part.

MrTop

EOG Master
BP pecota standings are out ... they have the dodgers winning by 7 games in NL west & the mets winning east by 10 games.

BP pecota standings are out ... they have the dodgers winning by 7 games in NL west & the mets winning east by 10 games.
I’m a fan of PECOTA but there’s one key data point missing from their NYM projection. The dysfunctionality of the organization

MrTop

EOG Master
I’m a fan of PECOTA but there’s one key data point missing from their NYM projection. The dysfunctionality of the organization

new owner..he is also a long time met fan.. hedge fund CEO.... 2nd richest owner of the 4 major US sports. ... this guy wants to win. I think he will get it right..probably not this year.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
i don't bet anything futures... they ran their record.. i think it hit 70%
What sample size? I have to look at this because seems insanely far fetched.
Win projected by division that seem crazy. Bump either way at end of year.
Nym 96
Atlanta 82

Milwaukee 94
St. L 81

Toronto 86
Boston 80

Angel's 87
Oakland 80

These all seem far fetched and numbers I'd prefer to bet at than speculate. I'm still a couple weeks away from being ready to bet RSW's but there is too much cieling and floor in these imo.