How did Indiana basketball get so bad?

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
Used to be a basketball state. Always saw pictures of guys shooting hoops on side of barn. Did Hoosiers really happen?

Heim

EOG Master
The recruiting sites that rated their '18 class #2 in Big 10 is full of shit. It's basically Langford & Sons....

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Oh, yes. Basketball in urban America was a sport all the kids had a chance at. Coached by high school coaches that were teachers. Now, it is rich kids that their dad puts a traveling team together. There are less and less public school teams at 5th and 6th grade. So, by the time it is offered in middle school the kids who are not on a traveling team do not have much chance.

So, there are a lot of kids that might be developed who don;t even go out. Then the chosen ones who might be mature 6th graders didn't grow and the high school only used a portion of its talent.

The worse gripe I have is if a kid from this school and that school gets to play hot shot ball on some form of all-star team - it does not do much to help his home team. Where are you going to put that trophy? I am all for it if it is from one school and all the kids can try out and hopefully, there is more than just 1 team and a lot of kids get a chance but it just sucks when the only reason a Dad put a team together is so his kid gets to play.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Oh, yes. Basketball in urban America was a sport all the kids had a chance at. Coached by high school coaches that were teachers. Now, it is rich kids that their dad puts a traveling team together. There are less and less public school teams at 5th and 6th grade. So, by the time it is offered in middle school the kids who are not on a traveling team do not have much chance.

So, there are a lot of kids that might be developed who don;t even go out. Then the chosen ones who might be mature 6th graders didn't grow and the high school only used a portion of its talent.

The worse gripe I have is if a kid from this school and that school gets to play hot shot ball on some form of all-star team - it does not do much to help his home team. Where are you going to put that trophy? I am all for it if it is from one school and all the kids can try out and hopefully, there is more than just 1 team and a lot of kids get a chance but it just sucks when the only reason a Dad put a team together is so his kid gets to play.
I live by one of these "college prep schools" that happens to be the top rated HS hoops team in the nation. They recruit all the top talent from three states. A big road game when I was in school was 30 miles, this team Mich City LaLumiere is playing Dematha in Wash DC this weekend. I'm sure the shoe companies have something to do with this also.

College Prep All-Star teams - the white equivalent of AAU ball.

Heim

EOG Master
Archie Miller got smart after the Gopher no show. Now more ball screens and dives for his lottery pick & they've covered every game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Unfortunately for Archie, the Hoosiers are 5-12 in conference play.

His epiphany came with only three games left in the season.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
3 wins in their last 15 games are a sweep of Michigan State and a double OT win over Wisconsin.

Higher seeds beware come postseason tourney time.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
yes, watched the MSU and Wisconsin game. Regardless of their record - they certainly have the ability to beat a good team. So, the Big tournament could be their chance to play their way in. Wonder what happened - it is a night and day difference in their play lately?

ChuckyG

EOG Master
Sweep of MichSt. I'll have to look closely at bubble talk.

People won't like it, but Hoosiers have more quality wins than the other bubble teams.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Sweep of MichSt. I'll have to look closely at bubble talk.

People won't like it, but Hoosiers have more quality wins than the other bubble teams.

They aren’t taking a team that’s 3-12 the last 15 games. Just not gonna happen. Plus they have a terrible record vs quad 2.. which are teams you should be beating if you are a tourney team.

It’s the whole resume.. not just 6 games

Valuist

EOG Master
The Big Ten is a bit upside down. You get teams like Rutgers, Illinois and Penn State who were poor early in conference play, but have all improved while teams like Iowa and Ohio State have regressed.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Yes, I agree - and isn't that what really matters - how good the team is right now. For example- If a team won 20 games and their two best players go down with injury - lose three in a row badly - you don't have the same team that won 20 games - is it fair to keep them out based on that. Is it fair to keep a team out that has got healthy or jelled or whatever? That's the problem with this selection business.