How do you define exactly what a 'bad number' is

mofome

Banned
A line you could have beaten earlier?
A line a little too close considering your own capping?
A line that is better at another shop?

Re: How do you define exactly what a 'bad line' is

A bad line is an obvious error either as a result of a clerical error or transposing of numbers.

Ex. Every shop has Texas Tech -14 smu

Shop B has smu -14 Texas Tech

Ex. B. K. Rambis is between +800 and +1500 to be MVP.

Shop B has K. Rambis +15000 to be MVP.

The examples you cite are A) weak line, B) difference of opinion, C) stale line.

mofome

Banned

Should I call it a bad number? Betting a bad number instead of betting a bad line.

janus

EOG Dedicated
Re: How do you define exactly what a 'bad number' is

a line that is obviously out of whack with the market. anyone who shops knows exactly which ones are bad, without question. anyone who doesnt shop doesnt bet enough to matter.

mofome

Banned

a line that loses

Like Brown. Better play 90% of the nights but tonight that miss fts and 3s, which isnt the norm, so i lose in OT.

:houra

Like Brown. Better play 90% of the nights but tonight that miss fts and 3s, which isnt the norm, so i lose in OT.

:houra

2938u4ji23

well get them tomorrow!

mofome

Banned

2-1 tonight. should have been an easy 3-0, but thats how things go right now. It will swing back.

I think of a "bad number" as when the line has already moved against you in something you want to bet. Like in the NFL when a line stays at -6.5 all week but is -8 on Sunday and someone still wants to bet it.

A "bad line" is when a book has a pretty obviously wrong line on something compared to what other books are hanging. Usually it's pretty noticeable - especially by people here in forum-land. Then it's a matter of how the books handle it. Most will want to cancel the bet, some will want to freeze your account to go off on your for betting it, etc. I find it best to just report the mistake if you can and move on.

J

joeybagadonuts

Bad # = you could have gotten a better one at another shop, waited longer, acted quicker, etc

Bad line- what GD said.

A bad line is an obvious error either as a result of a clerical error or transposing of numbers.

Ex. Every shop has Texas Tech -14 smu

Shop B has smu -14 Texas Tech

Ex. B. K. Rambis is between +800 and +1500 to be MVP.

Shop B has K. Rambis +15000 to be MVP.

The examples you cite are A) weak line, B) difference of opinion, C) stale line.

And I've seen some pretty bad clerical errors over the years! :doh1

ballwonder

EOG Master

How often has that happened to eveyone here? Monthly? Weekly? Was a stretch for me one time where it felt like every day for a week straight.

mofome

Banned

If i like a team tomorrow and they open at -5, the line quickly moves to -7 and stays there till tip. is the -7 a bad number if thats where every book closes?

janus

EOG Dedicated

i thought the thread was about bad lines... sorry.

as far as bad numbers go, if your book allows you to buy/sell points, there are only bad prices. i was under the impression that capping came down to assigning a value to a particular side... i'm not sure how anyone could cap a game without assigning an appropriate price break over which it wouldn't be worth betting. in that context, how could there ever be a bad number? its either bettable on one side, bettable on the other, or priced squarely in the juice range which you wouldnt bet.

like i said, i dont cap so i may be out to lunch on that.

J

joeybagadonuts

If i like a team tomorrow and they open at -5, the line quickly moves to -7 and stays there till tip. is the -7 a bad number if thats where every book closes?

In my mind, yes.

Than again, what do I know? I prefer to not bet #s that move that much against me, b/c if they do happen to land in that range that turns a win to a tie/or worse a loss, it's a harder mental hit on me than just losing. I know it's not completely logical, nor mathematically sound, just my way of doing things.

mofome

Banned

i thought the thread was about bad lines... sorry.

as far as bad numbers go, if your book allows you to buy/sell points, there are only bad prices. i was under the impression that capping came down to assigning a value to a particular side... i'm not sure how anyone could cap a game without assigning an appropriate price break over which it wouldn't be worth betting. in that context, how could there ever be a bad number? its either bettable on one side, bettable on the other, or priced squarely in the juice range which you wouldnt bet.

like i said, i dont cap so i may be out to lunch on that.

I asked the wrong question originally.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

Any number that you took and the line closes 1/2 point or more against you.

:maniac:

In MLB the equivalent would be a RL or ML price moving some amount against whatever you get (or got) it as. I’d be interested to hear how many cents movement is considered too much before an MLB line price is considered “bad”: Definitely 15 cents; definitely 10 cents; definitely 8 cents and I don’t even feel good about 5 cents.

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

this is something that has always puzzled me. With that said, I am not your typical wager guy, and I would probably say nobody else gambles my way.

There are all kinds of opinions on bad lines, just ask Winky and his Donkey comments.

I will get laughed at for this comment, but there is not a bad line in my gambling. It's either a play or it isn't. I play into worse lines all the time....meaning the line may be 3 and I may play it at 3.5 or 4 or some scenario like that.

My games ALWAYS fall into line slots, so I don't care if it moves with or against me as long as it fits my slot.

Some people will say that I lose more because of that and I would tell that person they are 1000% incorrect because nobody keeps records as accurate and indepth as me. I have the data that shows me it doesn't effect my bottom line enough to make me change it.

So to answer the thread question, I guess my answer is I can't answer it for you typical gamblers.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

this is something that has always puzzled me. With that said, I am not your typical wager guy, and I would probably say nobody else gambles my way.

There are all kinds of opinions on bad lines, just ask Winky and his Donkey comments.

I will get laughed at for this comment, but there is not a bad line in my gambling. It's either a play or it isn't. I play into worse lines all the time....meaning the line may be 3 and I may play it at 3.5 or 4 or some scenario like that.

My games ALWAYS fall into line slots, so I don't care if it moves with or against me as long as it fits my slot.

Value is value if you can get it. 3 1/2 and 4 are only bad if 3 was avaliable someplace else at the same time. If the 3's were gone and you still have value at 3 1/2 - I see your point.

:maniac: