How George H.W. Bush Helped Saddam Hussein Prevent an Iraqi Uprising

How George H.W. Bush Helped Saddam Hussein Prevent an Iraqi Uprising | World | AlterNet

Interesting little article taken from the book.

Amazing what our country is involved in and what we are told.

This devastating passage from Barry Lando's book on the history of American and British imperial lies about Iraq exposes the efforts that the first Bush president made to keep Hussein in power after the first Gulf War.

Basically, we told the rebels to fight the regime. Then when Saddam used chemicals against them, they came to the americans for weapons to fight back and we said.."nah,that's ok. we will just destroy all the guns." ALL the weapons we got from the regime we destroyed instead of helping the rebels fight saddam.

Re: How George H.W. Bush Helped Saddam Hussein Prevent an Iraqi Uprising

Not only did they permit Saddam's use of attack helicopters in no fly zones, American troops disarmed rebels wanting access to captured Iraqi arms dumps.

"The rebels wanted aid, they wanted medical treatment, and some of the individuals wanted us to give them weapons and ammunition so they could go and fight. One of the refugees was waving a leaflet that had been dropped by U.S. planes over Iraq. Those leaflets told them to rise up against the regime and free themselves."

"They weren't asking us to fight. They felt they could do that themselves. Basically they were just saying 'we rose up like you asked us, now give us some weapons and arms to fight.'"

The American forces had huge stocks of weapons they had captured from the Iraqis. But they were ordered to blow them up rather than turn them over to the rebels. "It was gut-wrenching to me," said Gonzalez. "Here we were sitting on the Euphrates River and we were ordered to stop. As a human being, I wanted to help, but as a solider I had my orders."

Rocky Gonzalez,a Special Forces warrant officer serving with U.S. troops in southern Iraq because he spoke Arabic, he was detached to serve with the Third Brigade of the 101st Infantry when the ground war began.

Anonymous government figures were making statements such as, "It is far easier to deal with a tame Saddam Hussein than with an unknown quantity."

The repression when it came was as horrendous as everyone knew it would be.

"Women were being raped. People were being shot in the streets and just left to rot there." Zainab al-Suwaij recounted. "The citizens were forbidden to bury the bodies. Many of them were eaten by the dogs. The government ordered people out of Kerbala to take the road to Najaf. They were slaughtered and executed along the roadway. Many of those killed were teenagers."

Saddam could have very easily been taken out along with his regime.You have H.W.Bush to thank for that not happening.

Indeed, some in the Bush administration were recommending that he do just that: support the revolt he had called for. They were overruled.