How unclutch is ARod?

Bottom 7: Yanks down 3-2, 1 out, bases loaded, ARod strikes out
Bottom 9: Still down 3-2, 2 outs, ARod strikes out

ARod's third strikeout in Game 5. 0-4 with a walk. Can this guy get any worse in the playoffs?

rainbow

EOG Master
Re: How unclutch is ARod?

You could blame this game on numerous players last night. Martin, Swisher, or Gardner. ARod wasn't alone...

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

Ten more years of both of them...give or take. You always fear that the Yankees will come back, but it didn't even cross my mind with two outs in the ninth. He's at his best when he's up 5 in the ninth against some mop-up man. Can say ditto for his "sure fire HOF" first baseman, Tex.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Palm tree hit the nail on the head. Detroit would want nobody but AROD at the plate

He should have at least been dropped in the order. Montero should have used too.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Alex isn't a hundred percent he missed a large portion of the season and never really got back into full form. Russel Martin hurt us big time also, he was just overmatched. That happens to catchers late in the year on occasion I was hoping Joe would pinch hit for him because he was just acting like an automatic out when he was up there, weak swings and whatnot. Alex wasn't unclutch in 2009 postseason if you can remember back that far.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Alex isn't a hundred percent he missed a large portion of the season and never really got back into full form. Russel Martin hurt us big time also, he was just overmatched. That happens to catchers late in the year on occasion I was hoping Joe would pinch hit for him because he was just acting like an automatic out when he was up there, weak swings and whatnot. Alex wasn't unclutch in 2009 postseason if you can remember back that far.

RIght in 2009 he was good but ASIDe from that isn't it safe to say he has failed in the postseason? Even die hard Yankee fans and Arod fans will not dispute this (most will not anyway). I am amazed at how inept he has been in the postseason because he is enormously talented.

I don't think he will break the HR record anymore, he looks like 20 a year from now on.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master

It is hard enough trying to hit a baseball but ARod makes it impossible when you go to the plate with both hands gripping your own neck. The last at bat the way he watched those first two strikes you could hear his inner voice screaming "PLEASE BE A BALL"!!

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The postseason careers of most players are so small, it's nit a fair and representative sample of a players true talent. Also, the pitching in the postseason is much, much better than the reg season.

Integrity

EOG Master

The postseason careers of most players are so small, it's nit a fair and representative sample of a players true talent. Also, the pitching in the postseason is much, much better than the reg season.

i pretty much agree but arod has only had one decent postseason

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

i pretty much agree but arod has only had one decent postseason

Alex has 249 lifetime AB's in the postseason (299 plate appearances) and has 69 hits for a .277 average. Alex's lifetime BA is .302.

I'm not stats guru, but i would have to imagine that every .300 hitter in MLB history had a stretch of 250 ABs where they only hit .277. I'm going on a hunch there.

Integrity

EOG Master

Alex has 249 lifetime AB's in the postseason (299 plate appearances) and has 69 hits for a .277 average. Alex's lifetime BA is .302.

I'm not stats guru, but i would have to imagine that every .300 hitter in MLB history had a stretch of 250 ABs where they only hit .277. I'm going on a hunch there.

when looked at that way, it's not bad

however, when each game/big moment is broken down and all he has is a few moments from 09, well, for a superstar, it doesnt look good

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

when looked at that way, it's not bad

however, when each game/big moment is broken down and all he has is a few moments from 09, well, for a superstar, it doesnt look good

It only doesnt look good if you don't know where to look. Alex was in ONE world series and he was amazing, almost the MVP of that series. Without him, we don't win.

For a guy who's as 'unclutch' as Alex, he sure picked the best time TO be clutch.

Integrity

EOG Master

his 09 playoffs were great

the other years, not so great. 09 sure helped make up for 04 though

Having one good year doesn't justify the $30 million he's being paid every year.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Having one good year doesn't justify the $30 million he's being paid every year.
The dollars paid to A-Rod,and other superstars on the Yankees team limit manager Joe Girardi's flexiblity in who plays.He [JG]can't make any moves,to shake up the team,or mix up his lineup,and use his roster to its full potential.
Had Joe G. sat A-Rod,Tex,and Swish for game 5,and played Eric Chavez,Andruw Jones,and Jesus Montero instead,and the team loses he would've been fried by management,the media,and the fans,instead he did the expected,and the mighty Yankees fell by the wayside anyway.

I totally agree. Nothing good can come from overpaying athletes. Maybe the Yankees and Red Sox organizations will learn that someday.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

Arod is too much maintenance for how little he contributes in the clutch. End of story.

scrimmage

I totally agree. Nothing good can come from overpaying athletes. Maybe the Yankees and Red Sox organizations will learn that someday.
There's a dysfunctional dynamic between high end teams like Boston and the NYY,and the fans who follow them.Payroll goes up,prices follow,along with expectations,and nothing less than a World Series title can satisfy,being good isn't good enough.
Where's the fun?Rooting for teams with lock down talent isn't satisfying in any league because there's no surprising upside,see the Miami Heat, or the Philadelphia Eagles for example.
That's why a Detroit Lions resurgence is something everyone supports,it's a redemption of sorts.
A team winning it all from nowhere has a certain flair,and is appealing to a wide range of the public because it gives hope to everybody's aspirations.The top dogs don't always get the prize kinda thing.

Chuck Sims

EOG Dedicated

A-Fraud never could handle top tier pitchers. Some guys can make a career out of tearing up mediocre pitching.

When you make A-Rod money expectations will be very high. I can't fault him for signing the contract. Now he is falling apart physically and the Yanks are stuck with him for years. He's destined to fill the DH spot that is better used to rest other guys like Grandy, Tex, Montero, etc.

Nobody should be getting these 8-10 year contracts that sign the guy until he's past 40.

scrimmage

well, lets remember the yankees front office is fucking stupid
The Yankee's front office is playing to their customers who support the multi-billion dollar operation which they've become.The NYY are catering to a high end baseball crowd,and that's their market.
When a team competes in the rarefied air,they are handcuffed in many respects,as to what goes on the field.
A more nimble organization can knock off a lumbering giant easily

Integrity

EOG Master

I won't say he doesn't deserve his dough as a) you're worth what someone will pay you and b) while talking about his clutch or lack thereof, championships really arent everything as he still 'performed' and 'entertained' 162 nights a year and helped make the team $$$ so thus, is entitled to his share

championships ARE important and all that but i am a lil tired of whenever yanks/sox dont win they say 'the season was a failure' when thats bogus cuz the fans were treated to 7months of athletic entertainment and got to experience the ups and downs of a teams fortunes

scrimmage

I won't say he doesn't deserve his dough as a) you're worth what someone will pay you and b) while talking about his clutch or lack thereof, championships really arent everything as he still 'performed' and 'entertained' 162 nights a year and helped make the team $$$ so thus, is entitled to his share

championships ARE important and all that but i am a lil tired of whenever yanks/sox dont win they say 'the season was a failure' when thats bogus cuz the fans were treated to 7months of athletic entertainment and got to experience the ups and downs of a teams fortunes
Do Cubs fans still show up?

I think it is reasonable to equate salary to success. If an owner paid $200 million/year (Yankees), I would expect much more success than a team with a $40 million payroll (Rays).

scrimmage

I think it is reasonable to equate salary to success. If an owner paid $200 million/year (Yankees), I would expect much more success than a team with a $40 million payroll (Rays).
What kind of team are they getting for the money?Who's left to win the World Series this year,and where do they rank in terms of payroll?
Sometimes big salaries box teams into a corner.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Why? Salary is mostly based on past performance, it is money that you're being paid for what you have done. It's just a hope that if you have been good in the past you'll be good in the future. It doesn't always work out that way. Seems to me that players who are financially hungry might play harder than guys who just signed for megabucks. Look at Carl Crawford. Awesome player when he was making peanuts, now that he's signed the monster deal, hes got lesser incentive to be as good as he was.