i spent the day in a veterinian hospital

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated
one of my dogs is really sick, started to go into renal (kidney) shutdown this morning. they're now treating him for addison's disease and hopefully he'll pull through. i know that they're just dogs and not people, but i really got attached to my little buddy.

Re: i spent the day in a veterinian hospital

Best wishes for you dog, gopherbob. I've never been to a vet hospital. I'm sure it has to be very emotional.

gosh gopher - i am so sorry to hear this. my prayers are with you and your family.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

for a lot of people, their pets are like family....so i can feel your pain....good luck with the little guy, hope all goes well:thumbsup

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

There are four people in my family that if I had to pick life or death that I would take over my dog.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

best wishes, gopherbob. pets and dogs especially bring a lot of joy to our lives, and if they aren't treated as part of the family, they should be.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

It sucks to say the least .... been there ... done that and certainly know the feeling

Hang in there as I know it is stressful and a situation ya wish one had more control over

www.theanimalrescuesite.com I pass along to everyone and its free and a very nice cause

In the final days ... the Bible says the 4th Seal is broken and the fear in animals is taken away and they attack and devour human beings ... I know a bunch of assholes that might want to get a head start

I don't know you, gopherbob, but I feel your pain. I had to put my best friend down on March 25th. I still cry just about everyday. I got him as a pup when I was 12. I'm still lost without the big stinky beast. As someone above said. There are people in my family that I would trade for just a few more years with that dog. Best of luck. PM me if you need to talk and don't want to look like a sap in front of the boys.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Sweded:

Go to the pound ... adopt a dog .... it will fill your void and you have
saved an animals life

Been there ... done that ... picked out one that looked like my previous
one

It will make ya good

Well, I'm in a tiny apartment right now. The loss of my dog actually effed me up enough to sell my home because I couldn't stand looking down the hallway and not seeing him laying there (there were other reasons, but that was a big one). My BF and I are looking for a house. When we find one, I'll think about another dog. Max was a Golden Reteiver. I simply cannot get another one. I'll never be able to look at a Golden without thinking about him. But yes, when I do get another dog, it will be a rescue dog. The only tiny shred of joy I got from Max passing away was donating all of his extra medications, toys, food and treats to the local animal shelter.....and by joy, I mean I smiled when I walked in, then sobbed all over the donation form....then sobbed for another 20 minutes in my car.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

Sweded:

Go to the pound ... adopt a dog .... it will fill your void and you have
saved an animals life

Been there ... done that ... picked out one that looked like my previous
one

It will make ya good

don't get me started, that damn george bush, at $4.00 per gallon who could afford to drive to the pound, by the end of the summer mccain will be president, gas will be $8.00 per gallon, unemployment will double...
:finger004 :LMAO

had to get you going this morning....

Tuckman

Uh Poster

this kinda thread has always made me wonder... when is enough, enough to just put the animal down? i'm not saying u should Gopher, but i was in a similiar situation about 8 months ago where my pet was extremely sick and was in the hospital for almost 2 straight weeks and the bills got outrageous (with no definate that he was gonna be okay)...it was a stray animal and i had it for like 3 years before this issues arose, so i was pretty attached to it and refused to just put him to sleep like i was advised by alot of people, including the vets...he was suffering greatly the whole time he was in the hospital and for awhile after he got out... isn't that considered selfishness by me for not wanting to deal with the loss of the pet while the pet is inconstant pain and suffering? when is it okay to justify putting the animal down?

Tuckman, it is selfish...not that I can blame you or would judge you in any way. But sometimes we can't see past our own pain. I should have brought my dog in to get checked much sooner, but I didn't want to hear that there was nothing they could do. His hips went on him. He got on meds and was fine for a while, then they stopped working. He couldn't even get up to drink his water. Finally, I brought him in to try the steroids, but it was too late. He wouldn't keep his food down. He gave up. It all happened so suddenly, that I could not convince myself that it was the end. I'm glad I listened to my family and ended his suffering. Look at it this way: if that animal were in the wild....would it go off to die in peace? If you answer yes, it's time.

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

this kinda thread has always made me wonder... when is enough, enough to just put the animal down? i'm not saying u should Gopher, but i was in a similiar situation about 8 months ago where my pet was extremely sick and was in the hospital for almost 2 straight weeks and the bills got outrageous (with no definate that he was gonna be okay)...it was a stray animal and i had it for like 3 years before this issues arose, so i was pretty attached to it and refused to just put him to sleep like i was advised by alot of people, including the vets...he was suffering greatly the whole time he was in the hospital and for awhile after he got out... isn't that considered selfishness by me for not wanting to deal with the loss of the pet while the pet is inconstant pain and suffering? when is it okay to justify putting the animal down?

if otis were an older dog, i probably would've put him down, but he's only 20 months. from my understanding, addison's is a treatable disease. the problem is if we caught it in time and can reverse his renal functioning. if he can;t live a normal life, like if he needs renal dialysis, of course i'll put him down. i wouldn't force him to live a painful life just for my family's benefit. i consider myself a responsible pet owner, and in the past i've put down animals that were old and it was impractical to keep them alive. right now my family is just going through a painful time and i thought i'd share it with my "on line" friends at eog.

Bol man

Wife had a cat that was like 15 and had to have a thyroid removed and lived to be 20. Hope it all works out

Angelsfire

EOG Dedicated

I am so sorry gopherbob it is never easy to have one of your own sick. I pray he dose ok...

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

i just got back from the pet hospital, i got to sit with otis for 45 minutes.
he seemed a little more perkier, and his lab values are falling back into the normal range. hopefully he can come from late sunday or early monday.

djefferis

EOG Veteran

best wishes and prayers for a quick recovery..hope things continue to improve.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Clay:

Speaking of Bush and animals ...

he got his fun from blowing up frogs as a kid .... did anyone notice a pattern
early on?

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

my dog came home today, i'd like to thank everybody for the kind words and support.