If Barry Bonds isn't a 1st ballot HOF'er next year....

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
The HOF is more of a sham than the steroid era. Barry Bonds, when he was 170 pounds and a speedster in Pitt, was one of the greatest players of his era. That was well before any steroid speculation began. Barry Bonds was so much better than everyone else who took steroids that he belongs in the Hall for that reason.

Barry Bonds, Pujols, Frank Thomas, Kenny Griffey Jr. and now Miguel Cabrera are the 5 greatest hitters I've witnessed in my lifetime. Add in the fact that Bonds was the best defensive left fielder (not an overly important position) in the game for 8 years, and was one of the greatest base stealers the game had seen.

Barry Bonds is up for voting next year, and if he doesn't get in the HOF is a joke.

J

joeybagadonuts

Re: If Barry Bonds isn't a 1st ballot HOF'er next year....

The HOF is more of a sham than the steroid era. Barry Bonds, when he was 170 pounds and a speedster in Pitt, was one of the greatest players of his era. That was well before any steroid speculation began. Barry Bonds was so much better than everyone else who took steroids that he belongs in the Hall for that reason.

Barry Bonds, Pujols, Frank Thomas, Kenny Griffey Jr. and now Miguel Cabrera are the 5 greatest hitters I've witnessed in my lifetime. Add in the fact that Bonds was the best defensive left fielder (not an overly important position) in the game for 8 years, and was one of the greatest base stealers the game had seen.

Barry Bonds is up for voting next year, and if he doesn't get in the HOF is a joke.

Agree he SHOULD get in. Don't think he will now or for a long while.

I also don't agree he was one of the greatest base stealers. He was good, but far from a 'great' like Lou Brock, Ricky Henderson or Timmy 'Rock-cocaine' Raines.

tripp

EOG Master

Best hitter I've ever seen. I give very little respect and attention to the baseball HOF when they leave guys like Bonds and Rose out (assuming Bonds gets left out).

texansfan

EOG Master

He cheated, screw him and all the others like him. He knowingly cheated, knowingly lied to try and cover it up, screw him. Screw ARod, Clemens, and all the rest of the cheaters.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Yeah, Rose is another joke. The Hit King and HR King aren't going to be in the HOF. That's comical.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Bonds getting inducted any time soon. It's a slippery slope; once they let Bonds in they have to let McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, etc. etc. in as well. With Rose it's different. The HOF doesn't have a single member who gambled on the sport among its ranks.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

He cheated, screw him and all the others like him. He knowingly cheated, knowingly lied to try and cover it up, screw him. Screw ARod, Clemens, and all the rest of the cheaters.

Based on the evidence we now have, you could argue that A-Rod and Clemens wouldn't be HOF players w/o steroids - although both are obviously very talented and we don't know for sure. You can't make an argument, based on the perceived start date by the government, that Bonds wasn't a HOF'er w/o steroids IMO.

As for your point Dough, I don't agree. Those other guys weren't HOF'er w/o steroids in most peoples eyes. Sosa was an above average player before he became a Cub - he was traded for George Bell for god sakes.

tripp

EOG Master

If we aren't going to let steroid users in the HOF then we might as well not let any players from this era of baseball in.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

And whose fault is that TH?

You earn your spot in the HOF by the way you play the game. There are plenty of cheaters in the HOF - spit ballers, pitchers who illegally scuffed the ball, players who were pumped full of "uppers" so they could play at their best everyday. None of that stuff was legal... Bonds was great pre-steroids. He then took steroids and was on another level from all the other cheaters. Bonds is in a class of his own, IMO.

J

joeybagadonuts

I wouldn't hold my breath on Bonds getting inducted any time soon. It's a slippery slope; once they let Bonds in they have to let McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, etc. etc. in as well. With Rose it's different. The HOF doesn't have a single member who gambled on the sport AND GOT CAUGHT among its ranks.

Fixed that for ya.

texansfan

EOG Master

As far as Rose is concerned, I got to watch him play with the Big Red Machine during the 70's. They guy played the game right, if that means anything.

I just don't feel sorry for the guy however. It's posted about gambling, and he knew what the consequences of doing so meant. He chose to do it anyway, then when caught tried to lie his ass off. He signed the agreement banishing him from baseball.

Maybe they should make a separate wing dedicated to the cheaters and bettors.

texansfan

EOG Master

You earn your spot in the HOF by the way you play the game. There are plenty of cheaters in the HOF - spit ballers, pitchers who illegally scuffed the ball, players who were pumped full of "uppers" so they could play at their best everyday. None of that stuff was legal... Bonds was great pre-steroids. He then took steroids and was on another level from all the other cheaters. Bonds is in a class of his own, IMO.

If he was great pre-steroids then why did he choose to use them and then lie about it? Bonds did this to himself, he's the one to blame.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

An asterisk goes a long way. Makes for the inauguration speech at the podium all the more comical.

texansfan

EOG Master

Why don't you start a petition TH to get all the baseball scuffers, sign stealers, amphetamine users, etc. removed from the HOF?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Because these guys are the ultimate competitors. He saw guys cheating around him and setting records - he knew he was a better player and he was right. He also did it because his body was probably breaking down and he wanted to extend his career.

You ignore the "uppers" comment. A lot of baseball players would tell you that's nearly as valuable. The toughest part of baseball is the 162 game grind, and those games in the dog days of August. "Uppers" really helped guys with that.

Why don't you start a petition TH to get all the baseball scuffers, sign stealers, amphetamine users, etc. removed from the HOF?

Why would I do that? You're the one that said you don't want cheaters in the HOF. I was merely pointing out that there are cheaters in there.

J

joeybagadonuts

Based on the evidence we now have, you could argue that A-Rod and Clemens wouldn't be HOF players w/o steroids - although both are obviously very talented and we don't know for sure. You can't make an argument, based on the perceived start date by the government, that Bonds wasn't a HOF'er w/o steroids IMO.

As for your point Dough, I don't agree. Those other guys weren't HOF'er w/o steroids in most peoples eyes. Sosa was an above average player before he became a Cub - he was traded for George Bell for god sakes.

Hate to break it to ya, brother, but Barry was on roids basically his whole career. He only started getting really drastic results when he started using HGH instead of normal anabolic roids.

texansfan

EOG Master

Fwiw, I think Bonds and the others will eventually get in. I don't care either way though, it doesn't have any affect on my life.

texansfan

EOG Master

I doubt seriously "uppers" have the same affect as steroids. Look at the stats from the different eras and that will answer that question.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Hate to break it to ya, brother, but Barry was on roids basically his whole career. He only started getting really drastic results when he started using HGH instead of normal anabolic roids.

I could show you countless studies that say HGH wouldn't help an athlete. They wouldn't make him blow up to that mammoth size - only 'roids could do that. 170 pound Barry Bonds wasn't on steroids - unless you're the guy who was giving him the 'roids, I'm not sure how you know it as a fact.

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernom...about-hgh-in-baseball-and-neither-should-you/

texansfan

EOG Master

Side-Effects of Human Growth Hormone

The side-effects are considered relatively mild, but can be very serious especially in cases of overuse. Inflated levels of hGH in adults can cause acromegaly, a disease characterized by excessive growth of the head, feet and hands. The lips, nose, tongue, jaw and forehead increase in size and the fingers and toes widen and become spade-like. The organs and digestive system may also increase in size, which may eventually cause heart failure. Excessive hGH in adults may also lead to diabetes.

The main attraction to hGH for athletes (aside from the lack of reliable test) is its ability to aid in the recovery and prevention of injuries. Human growth hormone stimulates the synthesis of collagen, which is necessary for strengthening cartilage, bones, tendons and ligaments

J

joeybagadonuts

I could show you countless studies that say HGH wouldn't help an athlete. They wouldn't make him blow up to that mammoth size - only 'roids could do that. 170 pound Barry Bonds wasn't on steroids - unless you're the guy who was giving him the 'roids, I'm not sure how you know it as a fact.

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernom...about-hgh-in-baseball-and-neither-should-you/

Timely, you can trust me or not. I've known Greg Anderson since I was in middle school hoping I would be a pro-baseball player one day. The community he trained people in was very small and I had a family member who worked with him and Balco at one time or another. Barry is the most competitive fucker in the world, he was always looking for that next edge.

J

joeybagadonuts

Joey bring the Greg Anderson heat!

Naw, he is a family friend and I'm not going to air too much of his laundry since he is a very private person. I will say I feel horrible for his son. He has had to live with his father in and out of jail the last few years. I can't imagine once he gets to be high school aged how much shit he will have to hear.

Greg is a very good and generous guy who made some dumb mistakes. Barry treated him like dog shit. I remember Greg talking about how he was working with Barry again when Barry came to SF. Greg trained him all the time for YEARS never getting paid a cent. The year barry broke the HR record, I expected him to give Greg a big check or something, he instead gave him an old pos chevy tahoe he didn't drive anymore as a 'reward'. Cheap bastard.

J

joeybagadonuts

The most interesting take I heard on Barry and his issues was probably from his ex-biz parter Steve Hoskin's mother, Domini. She works with Jerry Rice and a bunch of ex-sports players to increase black history awareness around the mostly non-black bay area. I got to know her pretty well and when her son an daughter were testifying in the trail she told me some interesting stuff about Barry growing up as she was a neighbor and friend of Bobby and his wife. I guess Bobby was a huge drunk and a disaster of a parent to Barry. She said she thought thats why Barry become such a prick. She also told me how he long had a bad attitude and completely lacked empathy.

High Times

EOG Master

Bonds was a horrible outfielder that had a horrible throwing arm. He should not have won 1 gold glove. He couldn't even throw the ball to home plate without it bouncing at least 2 times.

And Bonds was doing steriods before he even made it to the Major leagues. He just didn't start them after 30. The guy was always on something and should never get into the HOF.

Guys like Bonds can enjoy thier money, but they should get no fame.

When you make a joke of your sport you need to pay the price.

How far were Bonds, Sosa, and McGuire hitting the baseballs?

There is no way a normal non-steriod using baseball player can hit baseballs that far.

They made the home run records a complete joke.

They ruined the stat.

J

joeybagadonuts

^

Flamingo Times

:shoot:

HT is brutal and stuck in the past, but occasionally he says something that makes sense, FK on the other hand, not so much.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

I might never see another hitter as dominant as Barry Bonds in my lifetime.

Bonds was a cheat. What he deserves is to die because of his steroid use. He is a worthless human being andhis records mean nothing because he had to cheat to obtain them. If he dropped dead tomorrow, it would not have been soon enough for me. This is what 'roid users deserve.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Bonds was a cheat. What he deserves is to die because of his steroid use. He is a worthless human being andhis records mean nothing because he had to cheat to obtain them. If he dropped dead tomorrow, it would not have been soon enough for me. This is what 'roid users deserve.[/QUOTE

What about Sandusky? Pretty harsh comments for a guy who used looking for an edge....

steak tartar

EOG Dedicated

i dont care for bonds but he should be first ballot slam dunk in............wouldnt break my heart if he got screwed but he should be in

tripp

EOG Master

Bonds was a cheat. What he deserves is to die because of his steroid use. He is a worthless human being andhis records mean nothing because he had to cheat to obtain them. If he dropped dead tomorrow, it would not have been soon enough for me. This is what 'roid users deserve.

Jesus christ what a psycho.

Guy does steroids (which half the league does) and he deserves to DIE?

:shoot:

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

They're changing the name from the hall of fame to the hall of nice guys.

steak tartar

EOG Dedicated

poster rage > roid rage