In the news: Starbucks purchasing farm near Volc?n Po?s to conduct coffee research

Starbucks is purchasing a 240-hectare (593-acre) Costa Rican farm to convert to global agronomy research and development center, the coffee firm said Tuesday. The center also will conduct research on climate change mitigation and long-term crop stability programs.

The center also will conduct research on coffee rust that is affected more than half of the country's coffee farms.

The Seattle, Washington, firm has been a big buyer of Costa Rica premium coffee.

Read the full story here: http://www.amcostarica.com/morenews3.htm

Re: In the news: Starbucks purchasing farm near Volc?n Po?s to conduct coffee research

The damage caused by the "roya" to coffee crops in Costa Rica and Central America this year is overwhelming. My uncle has a coffee farm and had to tear it down entirely. Once replanted, you're looking at 3 years at least before the new coffee trees can bear fruit. Fortunately, in his case, he has other crops that will pull him through, but many farmers will need to find other ways to cope with the massive losses.

Re: In the news: Starbucks purchasing farm near Volc?n Po?s to conduct coffee research

Yeah man, sad shit about the coffee. Cool that starbuks is doing something about it but it is clearly an act of self preservation. Having said that I dont know why ticos hate starbuks so much, you can bring it up around your average jose without getting some hateful remarks about those american imperialistic pigs.

SeaDawg

EOG Veteran

Interesting, never heard them snivel about Starbucks, but they love that one at Avenida Escazu. I hate Starbucks coffee, but they seemed to be the forerunner of Fair Trade, Organic, and better then market crop prices but maybe like Howard Shultz and the Seattle Sonics they are pinche verde viejo gringos to the end.........:LMAO

RealSlimShady

EOG Dedicated

Is Costa Rican coffee as good as they say? How does it compare to Jamaican blue mountain?

macau

EOG Addicted

starbucks coffee sucks , went there about week ago ordered a large coffee - took my drink - sat down -tasted it - left it on the table - fucking horrible it was .. 2 other people i know said the same thing.

was not as bad as this about a month ago