Investment tips?

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated
Re: Investment tips?

Boring pick, but you could do a lot worse than AAPL. Incidentally, they announce quarterly earnings on Jan 17th (i think), and should do extremely well. Strong long-term growth potential too, even as big as they already are. The new Siri software has loads of potential.

GOOG should continue to make money hand over fist as well, especially with all the campaign money ready to be spent on advertising during the upcoming election year. They also figure to catch on even stronger with investors when they finally do split the stock (making shares far more affordable to the individual investor). That might happen sometime in the near future, perhaps this year, and it can only help.

I'm partial to MGM myself, due to mainly the imminent online poker thing. Really think it'll be a huge boon to their bottom line, and will allow them to start eating away at the mountain of debt they currently have. Their stock is quite cheap too, at about $10 per share. Lots of upside there.

The wildcard of course is the European financial crisis, which can wreak havok on the market as a whole. Much more worried about that than i am the companies themselves.

cheapseats

EOG Master

if you are looking to short the market at times, with short term in mind, say less than 4 months....
spxu shorts the s&p, and dug.....short oil.....i have made good coin with these two in 2010 and 2011....fact is a now have a position with spxu at 13 ...

Mammon

EOG Master

Get MFA at 14% at year forever.......... Stop gambling in stocks and take the money.....

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

if you are looking to short the market at times, with short term in mind, say less than 4 months....
spxu shorts the s&p, and dug.....short oil.....i have made good coin with these two in 2010 and 2011....fact is a now have a position with spxu at 13 ...

agree, get short

Plenty of Investment Tips..

1) Buy low, sell high.
2) You can never go broke taking a profit.
3) You can't win if you don't bet.
4) Buy and Hold. It will ALWAYS come back.
5) Think outside the box. (OTBox "thinking" is usually defined by the financial advisor's trying to sell you something.)
6) Do it for your children!

There are plenty of investment tips out there. Best one ever......

THIS TIME, IT'S DIFFERENT!!

LOL.

If anyone has anymore let us know. The only thing I have now is UPS. The rest is in an IRA. Mammon you like the dividended stocks huh? They are good long term as long as the board of directors chose to pay dividends. That can change. Thanks again for the replies gentlemen. Oh... and u too Jeff Jones.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Like ABB Ltd. for 2012

Ticker-NYSE: ABB
[TABLE]
<TBODY>

[TD="class: yfnc_tabledata1"]<BIG>

</BIG>
[/TD]

</TBODY>[/TABLE]

mr merlin

EOG Master

I would simultaneously short materials stocks till maybe mid Feb, and buy NE either now or in a week or so when it drops below $30. Bump this mid year and you'll see what you missed.

railbird

EOG Master

Physical Gold, hide it more than 1 place and non USA
Guns to shoot minoritys who will be coming to suburbs soon.

Physical Gold, hide it more than 1 place and non USA
Guns to shoot minoritys who will be coming to suburbs soon.

Railbird, aren't you one of those minorities?

...Kinger is saying you are one of his cholo buddies.

...I'm saying you're one of Hillcrest's finest.

dividend aristocrats...lump all dividend paying stocks together and scrape dividend off each time and put it into a separate account that you can have at your disposal...

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Via leveraged ETF's with multi-month horizon?

No way, levered ETFs are a disaster. Didn't mean to suggest using those (never even heard of the ETFs mentioned), just generally bearish. I'm short a small basket of equities, short euro, short yen, long dollar.

lap18

EOG Dedicated

If anyone has anymore let us know. The only thing I have now is UPS. The rest is in an IRA. Mammon you like the dividended stocks huh? They are good long term as long as the board of directors chose to pay dividends. That can change. Thanks again for the replies gentlemen. Oh... and u too Jeff Jones.

CATERPILLAR-
Record profits quarter after quarter, and forward looking next year is lights regarding demand. Precious metals prices is driving the demand for mining equipment.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

One more to look at is SLW, which has gotten pretty damn cheap lately after the recent drop in silver prices (and the market in general). Loads of cash reserves, zero debt, and locked into silver at a very cheap price due to their agreements with an assortment of mining companies. If silver spikes up again (as it eventually will), this company will make money hand-over-fist. And even if it doesn't, they're already trading at near their 52-week low. Lots of upside here and probably not a lot of downside, at least not long-term. And btw, they just started offering a nice dividend not too long ago. Good stock; not sure why i didn't think of it originally.

Memo to self:

Keep hard money in coffee can in back yard this year (gold & silver pre-63 coins).

Buy ammo.

Get the fvck outta California.

WINBET

EOG Dedicated

"I'm short a small basket of equities, short euro, short yen, long dollar."

You cant leave your shopping for one minute nowadays, I blame the Parents. :pop:

Ray Luca

EOG Master

One more to look at is SLW, which has gotten pretty damn cheap lately after the recent drop in silver prices (and the market in general). Loads of cash reserves, zero debt, and locked into silver at a very cheap price due to their agreements with an assortment of mining companies. If silver spikes up again (as it eventually will), this company will make money hand-over-fist. And even if it doesn't, they're already trading at near their 52-week low. Lots of upside here and probably not a lot of downside, at least not long-term. And btw, they just started offering a nice dividend not too long ago. Good stock; not sure why i didn't think of it originally.

I bot this over the summer. I placed bid under 30 (29.90) and they hit me. Was a great buy as it never came close until now as I am losing. But I agree with you. GL

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

No way, levered ETFs are a disaster. Didn't mean to suggest using those (never even heard of the ETFs mentioned), just generally bearish. I'm short a small basket of equities, short euro, short yen, long dollar.
That's what I had figured.
Seems like a solid theme to start of the new year.

Ok boys here is what I did based on your advice, and one of my own ALSK.....total investment 3,550

MFA $ 1,000 -----148 shares

ALSK $ 800 ---- 267 shares

F $ 750 -----67 shares

SLW $ 400 -----14 shares need to buy more

SPXU $ 600 ------48 shares

Lets see how this does.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

I have been accumulating a stock; symbol FEEC. Initial purchases at .19 and most recent today at .32.Blue Horseshoe loves it.

Cat, I didn't have enough $ to get apple. Here is another one to look at WNI. It is about 10 dollars. They make vitamins and supplements. They make mega red krill oil. It is thought that it is a stronger, more pure form of omega 3's. Doctors are telling patients it will make arteries and blood vessels have more elasticity, and help heart, brain, eyes, and joints. Check it out.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Another good value play IMO,with lots of upside:

Universal American Corporation
NYSE-(UAM)

Closed on 1/18/2012 at:
11.45 0.18

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Another one worth looking into is a newly-listed company that i read about just last week. It's called InvenSense (INVN). Very interesting stuff, definitely worth keeping an eye on if nothing else.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

I know this stock by the way, and own it. They have a total of 9 employees I believe. They generate revenue by way of royalty agreements which is a very favorable business model

lap18

EOG Dedicated

MFA 1000 148 6.75 SHARE NOW 6.96 SHARE
ALSK 800 267 3.00 SHARE NOW 2.85 SHARE
F 750 67 11.21 SHARE NOW 12.59 SHARE
SLW 400 14 28.57 SHARE

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I hear gas is going to be 5.00 a gallon this upcoming summer....any way to take advantage of that from a stock standpoint?

lap18

EOG Dedicated

Gasoline and Oil prices will follow the economy and stock markets for the rest of our life's I believe. As long as we are willing to pay for 3-3.50 gasoline in tough economical periods, rest assured when the economy comes to life, as the signal s are now in place, we will most definitely be paying 4 plus per gallon of gasoline

lap18

EOG Dedicated

CATERPILLAR-
Record profits quarter after quarter, and forward looking next year is lights regarding demand. Precious metals prices is driving the demand for mining equipment.

Cat was 90.60 dec 30....now 105 .64 today...only going up more this year. I believe it easily tops 150 by years end. An unbelievable year in the bag and forward looking is lights out, they cannot meet demand in the heavy equipment industry.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Boring pick, but you could do a lot worse than AAPL. Incidentally, they announce quarterly earnings on Jan 17th (i think), and should do extremely well. Strong long-term growth potential too, even as big as they already are. The new Siri software has loads of potential.

GOOG should continue to make money hand over fist as well, especially with all the campaign money ready to be spent on advertising during the upcoming election year. They also figure to catch on even stronger with investors when they finally do split the stock (making shares far more affordable to the individual investor). That might happen sometime in the near future, perhaps this year, and it can only help.

I'm partial to MGM myself, due to mainly the imminent online poker thing. Really think it'll be a huge boon to their bottom line, and will allow them to start eating away at the mountain of debt they currently have. Their stock is quite cheap too, at about $10 per share. Lots of upside there.

The wildcard of course is the European financial crisis, which can wreak havok on the market as a whole. Much more worried about that than i am the companies themselves.

Updating this thread. Surprised it hasn't been bumped, as well as the market has been doing this year. A few posts here...

On Dec. 30, AAPL closed @ $405 per share. It closed today @ $568.10 per share. :houra

On Dec. 30, GOOG closed @ $645.90 per share. It closed today @ $617.78 per share. :shoot:

On Dec. 30, MGM closed @ $10.43 per share. It closed today @ $14.39 per share. :houra

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

On Dec 30 (market was closed on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1), SLW closed @ $28.96 per share. It closed today @ $35.00 per share. :houra

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

Another one worth looking into is a newly-listed company that i read about just last week. It's called InvenSense (INVN). Very interesting stuff, definitely worth keeping an eye on if nothing else.

On Jan. 19, INVN closed @ $14.51 per share. It closed today @ $19.99 per share. :houra

there has been some great picks here cat. Even mine (ALSK) went from 2.97 to 3.19 per share. The only one that went down I think was SPXU. Come on Tim we need a winner.