Is Jeremy Lin untradeable?

pbovi

EOG Dedicated
Re: Is Jeremy Lin untradeable?

I was waiting for the first idiotic post like this. You're the winner of least knowledgeable basketball mind at EOG, congratulations.
I knew my comment would bring out the haters/naysayers. It was just a matter of time. Most of the early haters...i.e. Pretty Boy..have went into remission as the guy has done nothing but lead his team out of the abyss while stepping up and delivering in pressure packed situations, and showing a level of unselfishness that is rare. The haters harp on the only weak spot in his game, that being his turnover ratio while ignoring the fact that his productivity has not waned over the last 2 weeks, as most expected. The early detractors can't admit that they short changed the guy for fear of admitting they were wrong, so they either say nothing or fire away at the guy with a near empty chamber. I know you were one that trashed the guy a few weeks ago with his 9 turnover outing. At the end of the day the Knicks are winning, excitement has infused the Garden, while he has single handedly taken the popularity of NBA to levels not seen in some time, but the haters will still hate.

Integrity

EOG Master

well to be fair, timely also picked Lin over Rubio so i dont see him as a hater

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Uh bovi, I've been saying Lin was good for a while. You just called him the MVP of the NBA - or worthy of consideration. He is not the best player on his team STILL. If you want to call him better than Carmelo Anthony the Kooliad you're drinking is mighty. He's turning the ball over 7 times a game. D'Antoni's system is built for PG success. It has inflated plenty-o-numbers. The fact that people mention Steve Nash and MVP in the same breathe as a kid though 8 games is laughable and embarrassing. It's called sensationalism... what's next? He's better than Rose? :shoot:

Go back and read my posts on him in the past. I said I'd easily take him over Ricky Rubio just 3 games ago. Just as was the problem with the Tebow loves; your over hype is just as bad as the detractors. You have misjudged my knowledge and liking of Lin. I point to his turnovers because that's a pretty big deal. He's put up guady numbers at the expense of ball security. He's a good player, no doubt. MVP and Steve Nash? GTFO

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

Uh bovi, I've been saying Lin was good for a while. You just called him the MVP of the NBA - or worthy of consideration. He is not the best player on his team STILL. If you want to call him better than Carmelo Anthony the Kooliad you're drinking is mighty. He's turning the ball over 7 times a game. D'Antoni's system is built for PG success. It has inflated plenty-o-numbers. The fact that people mention Steve Nash and MVP in the same breathe as a kid though 8 games is laughable and embarrassing. It's called sensationalism... what's next? He's better than Rose? :shoot:

Go back and read my posts on him in the past. I said I'd easily take him over Ricky Rubio just 3 games ago. Just as was the problem with the Tebow loves; your over hype is just as bad as the detractors.
This brings up back to a decades old debate as to who is worthy of the MVP. Is it the best player stat wise or the player that means the most to his team. The Lakers are 18-13. If you removed Kobe from the lineup for these 31 games how many fewer games would they have won? I would submit that it would be 3 or 4 at most. Bulls are 18-5 with Derrick Rose and 7-3 without though I do realize 10 games is a small sample. I see it this way. The Knicks are 8-1 with and 8-15 without. As such, the numbers suggest to me that his presence in the lineup is more valuable than anybody at this time. That may change going forward but he has been the sole catalyst to the resurrection of NY basketball.

biggamer3

EOG Master

This brings up back to a decades old debate as to who is worthy of the MVP. Is it the best player stat wise or the player that means the most to his team. The Lakers are 18-13. If you removed Kobe from the lineup for these 31 games how many fewer games would they have won? I would submit that it would be 3 or 4 at most. Bulls are 18-5 with Derrick Rose and 7-3 without though I do realize 10 games is a small sample. I see it this way. The Knicks are 8-1 with and 8-15 without. As such, the numbers suggest to me that his presence in the lineup is more valuable than anybody at this time. That may change going forward but he has been the sole catalyst to the resurrection of NY basketball.
The MVP has to come from a team thats near the top spot in its conference, I am as big a lin fan as ther is and to even mention MVP and lin is Linsane.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

The MVP has to come from a team thats near the top spot in its conference, I am as big a lin fan as ther is and to even mention MVP and lin is Linsane.
Obviously he is only 9 games in and the season is less than half over. Thus nothing is decided. However, my point is that if you made an assessment over the last 9 games he would be worthy of strong MVP consideration. While I cannot speak for the future I can speak for what is.

Integrity

EOG Master

i understand your point bovi.

mvp is a bit much.

but being excited about him and recognizing how valuable he is for the knicks isnt.

LMAO at all this Lin talk, the onlny decent team they have beaten was dallas and dallas isnt exactly top notch this year. Lin came in at the perfect time to get the most credit he could. Guy is a turnover machine. He would have over 600 turnovers if he played all 82 games. Not exactly the type of guy any decent tem would want at PG. but then again he is on the knicks who have never been relevant.

But he plays in NYC where no matter what the hype will be unreal. If he played for new Orleans or some other team no one cares about you wouldnt even hear about his kid.

His 'rise' is basically proof of how ESPN and A.D.D. has taken over the planet.

I would lay -200 that next year at this time people will be saying "knicks should have traded him when he had 'value'". The stupidest thing I hear on the radio out here is people already saying he will get the most All Star votes next year. THAT shows how dumb people really are, and these are guys on sports radio. it also isnt like theyre saying it for effect they actually debate and argue it.

As far as MVP goes it is a popularity contest nothing more, winning it is basically meaningless. because guys win it that shouldnt and others dont win it that should.

Chris Paul is hands down the MVP of the league this year because Clippers will go from a 'nice' team with a sub 500 record to maybe the 3rd or 4th best record in the whole NBA this year. He wont wwin because lebron james is the guy on the supposed bes team witht he most hype. Once Lin stops being 'fresh' <Miami will take over the headlines again.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

LMAO at all this Lin talk, the onlny decent team they have beaten was dallas and dallas isnt exactly top notch this year. Lin came in at the perfect time to get the most credit he could. Guy is a turnover machine. He would have over 600 turnovers if he played all 82 games. Not exactly the type of guy any decent tem would want at PG. but then again he is on the knicks who have never been relevant.

But he plays in NYC where no matter what the hype will be unreal. If he played for new Orleans or some other team no one cares about you wouldnt even hear about his kid.

I would lay -200 that next year at this time people will be saying "knicks should have traded him when he had 'value'". The stupidest thing I hear on the radio out here is people already saying he will get the most All Star votes next year. THAT shows how dumb people really are, and these are guys on sports radio. it also isnt like theyre saying it for effect they actually debate and argue it.

As far as MVP goes it is a popularity contest nothing more, winning it is basically meaningless. because guys win it that shouldnt and others dont win it that should.

Chris Paul is hands down the MVP of the league this year because Clippers will go from a 'nice' team with a sub 500 record to maybe the 3rd or 4th best record in the whole NBA this year. He wont wwin because lebron james is the guy on the supposed bes team witht he most hype. Once Lin stops being 'fresh'

<miami will="" take="" over="" the="" headlines="" again.[="" quote]<="" html=""></miami>

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

Chris Paul is hands down the MVP of the league this year because Clippers will go from a 'nice' team with a sub 500 record to maybe the 3rd or 4th best record in the whole NBA this year. He wont wwin because lebron james is the guy on the supposed bes team witht he most hype. Once Lin stops being 'fresh'

<miami will="" take="" over="" the="" headlines="" again.[="" quote]<="" html=""></miami>
Not sure I would consider the Lakers indecent at this point.

Not sure I would consider the Lakers indecent at this point.

huh? Have you watched this team? Theyre dog shit. fakest record in history. they have played one of the weakest schedules in the league had a ton of home games against those shit teams and have been life and death to simply win by a possession. Their 18-13 record or whatever it is could just as easily be 12-19. It will show here for the res of the month. April will really be the back breaker. Guys all worn out playing a very tough schedule, theyll be lucky to win 6 games in April.

But as it is lakers at 12-19 ATS tells me they are very over rated just like they always are.

tripp

EOG Master

James will be the mvp this year and it will not be close

Nor should it be. He is having an historically good season if you use metrics to determine value. His numbers are off the charts and that is while not playing many 4th quarters due to the Heat blowing teams out so often. Wade got hurt and this team didn't miss a beat. He is so versitile that the guy can play PG at an MVP level, then also post up and defend a guy like Dwight Howard on occasion. It's mind-blowing how good the guy is.

This should be his 4th or 5th MVP by now, but we will see if people try to screw him out of his 3rd simply because they don't like him.

Nor should it be. He is having an historically good season if you use metrics to determine value. His numbers are off the charts and that is while not playing many 4th quarters due to the Heat blowing teams out so often. Wade got hurt and this team didn't miss a beat. He is so versitile that the guy can play PG at an MVP level, then also post up and defend a guy like Dwight Howard on occasion. It's mind-blowing how good the guy is.

This should be his 4th or 5th MVP by now, but we will see if people try to screw him out of his 3rd simply because they don't like him.

the old argument, best player versus most valuable. James is and has been the best plyaer for a few years now, but Miami would still be good without him. Obviously not as good but still good. How good would Clippers be without Paul? Or even OKC without Durant, both teams have a bit of talent but those guys make the difference.

For all of james talents he has never been accused of being the difference maker on a team. it is usually the opposite and he is always underachieving in comparison to his talent/skill level.

If the guy could grow a killer instinct or stop being afraid of failure he could be the best ever.But he never matured the 'right' way and simply hasnt been taught how to play the game that way. He is basically an opportunist and when it is going well he goes with the flow, when it isnt he passes it up and doesnt want to be involved, rather than trying to push through the bad spell. Thats why he wont ever be 'legendary'. Because he simply doesnt do what it takes to get there.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

huh? Have you watched this team? Theyre dog shit. fakest record in history. they have played one of the weakest schedules in the league had a ton of home games against those shit teams and have been life and death to simply win by a possession. Their 18-13 record or whatever it is could just as easily be 12-19. It will show here for the res of the month. April will really be the back breaker. Guys all worn out playing a very tough schedule, theyll be lucky to win 6 games in April.

But as it is lakers at 12-19 ATS tells me they are very over rated just like they always are.
As I have the Lackers under 39.5, I hope you are right. But that said I would gladly relinquish my wager and take 80 cents on the dollar.

tripp

EOG Master

the old argument, best player versus most valuable. James is and has been the best plyaer for a few years now, but Miami would still be good without him. Obviously not as good but still good. How good would Clippers be without Paul? Or even OKC without Durant, both teams have a bit of talent but those guys make the difference.

For all of james talents he has never been accused of being the difference maker on a team. it is usually the opposite and he is always underachieving in comparison to his talent/skill level.

If the guy could grow a killer instinct or stop being afraid of failure he could be the best ever.But he never matured the 'right' way and simply hasnt been taught how to play the game that way. He is basically an opportunist and when it is going well he goes with the flow, when it isnt he passes it up and doesnt want to be involved, rather than trying to push through the bad spell. Thats why he wont ever be 'legendary'. Because he simply doesnt do what it takes to get there.

That part can't be serious. Rest of the post is good, but c'mon, never a difference maker?? He took a bunch of scrubs in cleveland to 66 wins!! Nobody else in the league could possibly do that. Van Gundy was spot on when he said in the Magic game when James was on the floor with Battier, Chalmers, Miller, and haslem I beleive it was that if that five was the starting roster on a team it could win 60 games because of James assuming a decent bench.

Cleveland went from 66 wins to what, 17 wins last year without Lebron? Was it even lower? I'd call that a difference maker.

I just pray that no business decisions or trade agreements are made before the NBA League Office has had a chance to review the insight offered freely on this thread.

BEANTOWNJIM

Banned

JEREMY LIN WILL BE WORKING IN A CHINESE RESTAURANT BEFORE THE YEAR IS OVER HE HAD 7 GOOD GAMES THATS NOT A CAREER.WAIT UNTIL HE GOES INTO A SLUMP AND LOSES HIS CONFIDENCE AND MELLO GETS IN HIS FACE IN THE LOCKER ROOM.HE WILL NOT BE IN THE NBA NEXT YEAR HE WILL BE WORKING AT THE CHINA GOLD AS A WAITER.

JEREMY I WILL HAVE A #3 CHICKEN CHOW MEIN,EGG FOO YUNG,AND AN EGG ROLL

railbird

EOG Master

Mello should be traded he hurts chemistry, Mello the reason USA got 4th place in 2008 olympics. Melo makes players worse not better

BEANTOWNJIM

Banned

RAILBIRD YOU CANT BLAME MELO FOR THE 2008 OLYMPICS CAN YOU TELL ME WHY IN THE OLYMPICS THEY USE COLLEGE COACHES WHAT THE F-CK MIKE KRZYEWSKI WAS THE HEAD COACH WE FOUND OUT WHY HE NEVER WENT PRO HE COULDNT CONTROL THE ANIMALS IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.THE POLOCK HAD NO DISAPLINE THE PLAYERS WERE OUT ALL NIGHT BANGING WHITE BROADS AND BOOZING IT UP IF PHIL JACKSON WAS COACHING THE USA WOULD HAVE WON THE GOLD IN 2008.

COACH K SHOWED US WHY HE WOULD NEVER BE A PRO COACH THE NIGERIANS WOULDNT EVEN TALK TO HIM THEY MADE UP THERE OWN PLAYS :3dgros13:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I did a little research on Jeremy Lin's college career at Harvard.

I assumed Harvard would have been a moneymaker for gamblers who backed the Crimson during Lin's four-year career there.

Not the case.

Harvard was 34-45 against the spread during Lin's time in Cambridge.

snoopol

EOG Addicted

Mello should be traded he hurts chemistry, Mello the reason USA got 4th place in 2008 olympics. Melo makes players worse not better

Dude what olympics are you talking about??? For once check the facts before you write something.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

What's so funny about this is how far from the truth it is. Good catch snoop...

Melo was arguably the best player on that team, with Wade being the only one more valuable, and they won the gold.

Alright guys, all we can do is wait and see. Today Lin had a decent game 17 points 9 assist 4 turnovers.

Tomorrow they will be on the national scene and everybody will be watching the Knicks take on the Heat. Lets see if he chokes or floats. Then you GMs can talk!

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

Lin's impact is felt even before tonight's game has even started in that the Heat will be keying in on stopping him, which of course should open up opportunities for other players. Lin's success will in large part depend on how much time LeBron spends guarding him, who at 6'8" 250 with 8 years experience, is a tall task for anybody let alone 6'4" 200.

if they started using turnovers instead of assusts thyey could hang 30 on those props. Guys is an absolute turnover machine, he is getting worse. But that isnt a surprise since now peopel actually have some tape on him and e isnt some unknown enigma anymore.

he is basically a guy at a poker table you have never played with before. takes about 20 minutes to figure him out then his little streak or what little bit of respect you have to give him is all done.

product of hype and anonymity nothing more. Now that people can actually see stuff about him he has been become more liability than so called talent. While the heat are the heat and they make everyone look bad he has always been a turn over causing guy. they just made his inability to make plays more apparent. No assists, no points and he looked like some undrafted guy shoud look. Apologists will blame it on the stage, they hype, the drain it has been. But t is just reality catching up to him.

He does have more than enough to not go undrafted but it isnt like he is michael jordan and no one noticed it before.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

After numerous stellar performances, let's call them record breaking, the guy has one bad game of course the haters/detractors come out of the woodwork. Very expected. I did expect a sub par showing and stated it here in advance and did bet the under 18 on his point total as I knew
the Heat would put all of their effort into stopping this guy...double teams/traps...and were successful in rattling him. He was their number one priority which speaks volumes in and of itself. But still, he got to the paint several times and his shot did not fall; many of which were a few feet from the basket. Got to the line 6 times.This is what I call rites of passage. You don't advance up the ranks in the NBA without ever throwing in a bad game and this guy is basically 12 games in facing a bunch of 8th year all stars. The reason this kid will be a keeper is called 'attitude'. Besides the talent he has the work ethic that will allow him to elevate his game unlike many who make it to the NBA who figure they can skate by on what they got. Haters have their day.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

The Knicks are 8-1 with him and 8-15 without him which suggests that at this point he should merit MVP consideration if the team were to continue winning at a 75 or 80% clip with him in the lineup. Un f%#*&n tradeable.

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

He was their number one focus? What? Did you watch the game? He got ripped 3 times in 1-1 defense with no doubles. They pressured him full court but rarely trapped him. They simply put great on-the-ball defenders in his face for the entire game and he was shut down. They also rotated well, which they always do. Melo was still their focus. You are very delusional.

Povi living in a delusional fantasy world where NBA players don't work "hard." I bet you Rose and Westbrook have a tougher off season work out regimen than he does, and they're BLACK - amazing....

tripp

EOG Master

wouldn't call this his first bad game either. He was pretty atrocious vs Minnesota, but somehow got labeled a hero because he split a pair of FT's with 4 seconds left to win the game.

He wasn't just sub par last night bovi, he was the worst player out there. Is he all of a sudden terrible because he isn't ready for a team like the Heat? No, but it proves he is not what people are making him out to be. Melo is still by far the #1 on this team. Amare is the #2.

Lin is a nice player that went on a great run vs some poor competition to start off his Knick career. To make him out to be an All star at this point is laughable, let alone a MVP candidate (BTW Lebron is a crazy -180 to win MVP at the All star break. Durant and Paul only other names that should be talked about imo).

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

He's not the MVP of the league - that's not me being critical. It's actually just me laughing at you for overrating him. He's still a formidable starter, but the MVP talk was pretty funny.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

He was their number one focus? What? Did you watch the game? He got ripped 3 times in 1-1 defense with no doubles. They pressured him full court but rarely trapped him. They simply put great on-the-ball defenders in his face for the entire game and he was shut down. They also rotated well, which they always do. Melo was still their focus. You are very delusional.

Povi living in a delusional fantasy world where NBA players don't work "hard." I bet you Rose and Westbrook have a tougher off season work out regimen than he does, and they're BLACK - amazing....
Well, if you think he was not their number 1 priority then you disagree with many experts. You really think the likes of LeBron and Dwayne were going to let some little wet behind the ears kid come in their house and show them up in the face of all this hype? Of course they want to be the ones to shut him down because it makes them look superior to the ones that could not. It is an ego thing. I grew up with the brothers and I have a good idea of how they think about outsiders of a different persuasion coming in and showing them up. Melo? Are you for real? This guy is a 39% shooter this year or are you watching? Nobody cares. He has 4 games this year where he has exceeded 50% from the field. As far as the workout regimen statement, a good gambler would not make such a wager because it is a 'blind' bet. How do you know how much time Lin puts in? The guys you mentioned do work hard but that is far from the norm. Why do you think Dwight Howard's free throw percentage has regressed? Do you think he is genetically predisposed to be a poor free throw shooter or do you think he has opted out of honing that part of his game. Why do you think Sebastian Telfair was one of the greatest players ever to hit Coney Island and is on his way to Harold Miner status at age 26. Money does strange things to athletes (ie Jamarcus Russell) or did you not know that?

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

He's not the MVP of the league - that's not me being critical. It's actually just me laughing at you for overrating him. He's still a formidable starter, but the MVP talk was pretty funny.
I believe that if it were apples to apples, and just took into account those 10 games prior to Miami, he was the MVP for that period. I stick to that assertion. Nobody made his team better than him.

Heim

EOG Master

Bovi says:

"This guy is a 39% shooter this year or are you watching? Nobody cares. He has 4 games this year where he has exceeded 50% from the field"

It's silly to make a statement like the above, setting the bar at 50% for a scorer like Melo. Kobe and Jordan seldom shoot/shot 50% in a game. Their respective game is not predicated on high percentage shots. I put Melo in that class.