It’s that time of the year - CFB coaching changes

kane

EOG master
Okay, so Miami has a new head coach, Manny Diaz. Miami and Temple agreed to a buyout allowing Diaz to become Miami's coach, and this has been one crazy day for me trying to keep up with all of this, but I think it's a good move

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
O
Miami coach Manny Diaz has three names on his short list to be the new OC, Applewhite is one of them
Omg let this happen. Unders paradise. No team has made their teams worse offensively than Applewhite as a coordinator. He has the smallest playbook in the nation.

kane

EOG master
O

Omg let this happen. Unders paradise. No team has made their teams worse offensively than Applewhite as a coordinator. He has the smallest playbook in the nation.

Another name mentioned is Larry Fedora, no one knows who the third guy is. I saw the offensive rankings of the team's Applewhite was the OC for and the numbers weren't very inspiring

kane

EOG master
Canes insiders are reporting Applewhite will be the new OC, Miami isn't confirming anything, but more than likely he's the guy

kane

EOG master
Okay, it's official, the new OC at Miami is Alabama's QB coach Dan Enos, he turned down an offer from Georgia to come to Miami. Let me know what you think Milkshake.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Okay, it's official, the new OC at Miami is Alabama's QB coach Dan Enos, he turned down an offer from Georgia to come to Miami. Let me know what you think Milkshake.
Terrible head coach at CMU even when they had above Mac level Qb play from Rush. He was a horror show at end game. He developed Allen at Arkansas which got him these paydays. He is obviously a much better developer than recruiter or coach. He has a serious task on his hands with Perry who has shown us nothing to believe he was a 4* besides of his scrambling ability which I know Diaz will not allow. Much like Allen he will be asked to only throw on 3rd down and when trailing. I imagine finances were thrown at him that UGA didn't feel necessary to match otherwise he needs his head examined for picking Miami's current mess at the position compared to Fromm and the 2 NFL ready backs. It will be conservative in year one but I give it a solid B of a hire. Fedora would have been my A+ choice as he knew every opposition and thinks exceptionally outside the box.
If he get Hurts to come to the U watch out

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
Also should note that the ACC will be much more offense driven in 2019 with Wake, BC, FSU (briles) UNC (Longo) GT (switching from option) and Funtes at VA tech with now his recruits. The U will need to score much more regardless of scheme or OC. Goodluck Kane. I like Diaz alot think hes a upgrade currently

kane

EOG master
Thanks for the feedback Drink, I also think Diaz was a good hire, he's from Miami and knows the area well, hopefully he can keep a lot of the South Florida kids home, I'm tired of watching the top recruits from here go to other schools, he's a fiery guy and I know the defensive players love playing for him, he has said being the head coach at Miami is his dream job, really hoping things work out, other than the monster Dabo has built, the ACC is pretty much up for grabs, there should be no reason why Miami's program can't become the second best in that conference. They really need to find a QB, Miami hasn't had a good one since Ken Dorsey, and that was a long time ago, if Diaz doesn't land Hurts, there's a kid from SMU who's name escapes me that Miami has shown some interest in, but I don't think Perry is the answer. I saw where Parry was the third rated dual threat QB coming out of HS behind Tua and Mond from A&M, but for whatever reason he hasn't developed, I know he's also had some off field issues, nothing too serious, just some immature stuff that you don't want from your QB. Anyway, always good talking to you Drink, can't wait for next season to get started.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32552130/schools-spent-5336-million-dead-money

FBS schools spent over $533.6 million in dead money over 10+ years​

7:42 AM ET
  • Paula Lavigne
  • Mark Schlabach
November can be a cold and expensive month in college football. A number of coaches nationwide remain on the hot seat two-thirds of the way through the season, which has already seen eight Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches out of a job and owed dead money -- money owed to fulfill their contracts.
From Jan. 1, 2010 to Jan. 31, 2021, public universities in FBS conferences paid out more than $533.6 million in dead money to head coaches and assistant coaches in football and men's and women's basketball, according to an analysis of financial records obtained by ESPN through state open records laws.
The total does not include tens of millions of dollars in severance payments to coaches who have been fired or resigned since then, including head football coaches at Georgia Southern, LSU, TCU, Texas Tech, Akron, UConn and USC. LSU football coach Ed Orgeron, who guided the Tigers to a College Football Playoff national championship in 2019 and was then dismissed last month, is owed about $16.9 million, which will be doled out in 18 installment payments through December 2025, according to the university.
Washington State's firing of Nick Rolovich for refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine was for cause, meaning he is not owed a buyout, although Rolovich has expressed his intent to sue the university over his dismissal.
The total also does not include any payments that were made to coaches who had previously been fired beyond Jan. 31, 2021. Of the 130 FBS programs, 86 provided records, four had no responsive records, 22 are private institutions and 18 either provided no records or incomplete data.
During his tenure as Nebraska's chancellor from April 2001 to June 2016, Harvey Perlman signed off on the Cornhuskers firing football coach Frank Solich and the hiring and firing of Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini and Mike Riley, who was fired more than a year after Perlman left.
"We have a lot of football coaches on our salary," Perlman recently told ESPN, chuckling. "Yeah, it was horrible. I didn't like it. And of course you get a lot of public flak for it, which I did. But as I say, it's part of the competitive context in which you're operating. If you're not going to do it, you're not going to get coaches."
Steven Leath, the president of Auburn University from 2017 to 2019, negotiated giving then-football coach Gus Malzahn a seven-year, $49 million contract extension in December 2017. Malzahn was fired in 2020, and Auburn committed to buy out the remainder of his contract for more than $21 million. At the time, it set a record for the largest buyout paid by a school.
"You're in a public relations disadvantage," said Leath, who is now executive director of the Council to Advance Hunting and the Shooting Sports. "No matter where you end up on a contract, there will be some people who think the coach should be gone and shouldn't be renegotiated at all. And there will be some people who think you didn't pay him enough because he walks on water. It's hard to win the public relations battle no matter where you come down."
Auburn ($31.2 million) and Nebraska ($25.8 million) led the way in dead money payments, followed by Texas ($21.5 million), Ole Miss ($20.4 million) and Kansas ($20 million).
The Cornhuskers also hired and fired men's basketball coach Doc Sadler, and women's basketball coach Connie Yori resigned under pressure during Perlman's tenure. He said the obligation of a coach's buyout never figured into whether or not he or she should be terminated.
"I regarded the payouts we made as we changed coaches as just the cost of doing business," Perlman said. "It was just built into the deal."
Perlman said competitive forces and public image forced the university to agree to larger and larger contracts with more generous buyouts for coaches. He admitted the salaries and guaranteed contracts were out of line, but said "competition drives you to do what you have to do."
"There were both the terms of the agreement and the message that it sent," Perlman said. "They both were important if the coach was going to be successful. ... It's about where you sat in the Big Ten because you were going to have to recruit. Recruits would look at this and say, 'They're not paying you very much and they must not respect you very much, so you must not be a good coach.'"
The dead money paid to coaches is an example of the broken financial structure of big-money college sports, said Amy Perko, Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics CEO.
"Institutions threw away more than half a billion dollars -- allegedly to maintain their competitive advantages -- on richly-compensated coaches, instead of using the money to support the education, health and safety of college athletes," said Perko. "This is exactly why we released our 2021 C.A.R.E. model report. If far-reaching steps aren't taken soon to control runaway spending on coaches, hundreds of millions of dollars will just continue to be wasted."
Power 5 programs included in the survey of public universities -- those in the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC -- accounted for 88% of the dead money. The SEC led the way with $151 million, followed by the Pac-12 ($114.1 million), Big Ten ($106.8 million), Big 12 ($58.8 million) and ACC ($40.0 million).
Among the Power 5 programs included in the survey, football coaches ($354.9 million) were paid more than three times as much as men's basketball coaches ($103.5 million), while women's basketball coaches received only $12.5 million in severance pay.
Groups of 5 schools -- those with football programs in the American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, Mountain West, Sun Belt and independent UConn -- paid $62.8 million in dead money, including $47.4 million to football coaches.
Leath said he worked directly with Malzahn's agent, Jimmy Sexton, in part because the school was in between athletic directors at the time of his negotiated extension. Leath said the use of agents in coaching contract negotiations "is huge." Pretty much gone are the days of a coach coming in to discuss an employment contract in the same way a vice president of student affairs or a chief of police would.
"It's changed to this dynamic where the agent would prefer you don't even talk to your own employee," Leath said. "And sometimes you have to put your foot down and say, 'Listen, this person works for me. I don't have to go through you.' It's a very difficult, cumbersome process. It's easy for it to get somewhat adversarial. It changes the team spirit of working together for the common goal of advancing the program to much more of an unfun business negotiation."
The Tigers had recently upset rivals Georgia and Alabama, who were both ranked No. 1 at the time, to reach the 2017 SEC title game. Arkansas had also expressed interest in hiring Malzahn.
With Malzahn's contract extension, Leath said the buyout provision was "unpalatable from our side, but necessary because of the playing field everybody was in at the time. So you take a risk that he'll perform well for two or three or four years and the buyout thing will go away. That's what you're hoping for."
Leath said he did push back on Malzahn's buyout provision and got it reduced from having to pay 100% of the remaining salary to paying 75% of what was left on the deal.
"We made it more favorable for the university," Leath said. "They were still tremendous terms for Gus, don't get me wrong. But they were certainly better for the university than when we started out."
Leath said he got there by adopting the attitude of, "Just, c'mon, let's be reasonable here," and having some individual meetings with Malzahn. "It would have been far better if no agents were involved and you could just sit down and say, 'What's best for the university? What's best for you? What's best for the program long-term?'"
In June 2019, Leath and Auburn mutually parted ways as well. His separation agreement called for him to receive $4.5 million over three years.

blueline

EOG Master
Lombardi says a lot of rumbling about Brian Kelly to USC...said Kelly has done all he can at notre dame....will always come up a few players short to win it all there but at USC can get whatever player he wants in and around academic issues

Lombardi says a lot of rumbling about Brian Kelly to USC...said Kelly has done all he can at notre dame....will always come up a few players short to win it all there but at USC can get whatever player he wants in and around academic issues
This is pretty rich. Notre Dame can't get recruits???

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Think that is a lot of wishful thinking. There hasn’t been a peep of him thinking of leaving ND. This year may be one of his better jobs, considering they lost a lot of talent. They will probably get clocked in a bowl game by a more talented team.

blueline

EOG Master
he said his notre dame legacy is set having passed rockne....all thats left is the national title and at notre dame he will always come up a few players short.....he could get those players at USC

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
he said his notre dame legacy is set having passed rockne....all thats left is the national title and at notre dame he will always come up a few players short.....he could get those players at USC
They only build statues at ND Stadium for coaching national champions.

No shock this happened, team is losing, recruiting going bad and then he pulls out his Woody Hayes move. Not a whole lot of people are too upset at this. And just maybe as a society we're ready to move on from the stigma of firing a black coach. Lots of fellow UW alums a week ago told me they thought the Athletic Dept didn't have the nerve to do this, but we should be better than that as a society. Yeah more black coaches deserve all kinds of jobs in sports, but let's stop making skin color a factor that matters in hiring decisions.

Heim

EOG Master
Already 12 coaches sacked after today.

Seasons not over.

I'm sure Oregon guy now rumored for FLA too. 🙄

Multiple outlets are reporting Rhett Lashlee to SMU
Pretty crazy current SMU coach has been a foot out the door all week and SMU has been lining up a replacement. All while they are still playing a game today and a bowl game to come. That plus the way the SMU team has been very mediocre since they got to 7 wins leads me to love Tulsa today. I can't imagine what those kids motivation is, while Tulsa gets bowl eligible with a win today.