Ivy League cancels fall sports

lastyle7

EOG Veteran
OSU, Wisconsin and North Carolina athletes test positive for Covid 19, all football summer practicing placed on hold.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
NCAA football is scheduled to kickoff on Saturday, August 29th. Just 7 short weeks from this Saturday.

Difficult to envision those games being played,..or any NCAA games for that matter.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Ivy league was also first to cancel college basketball, their plan is football in the spring, see if other schools follow.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Jim Harbaugh from today:

And then there’s Jim Harbaugh. On a Zoom call with the media Wednesday, the Michigan head coach was asked about moving forward with plans for the 2020 football season to be played in the fall. As scheduled. Here’s Harbaugh’s response, from Austin Meek of The Athletic:

"COVID is part of our society. It wasn’t caused by football or caused by sports. There’s no expert view right now that I’m aware of that sports is going to make that worse."

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
They won’t be the last IMO.

Agree

Other conferences and other sports will follow. IF there is CFB it will be in the Spring. If so it will be interesting to see what happens. If I am someone like Trevor Lawrence or someone else expected to go very high in the draft there is a 0% chance I am playing CFB in the Spring. There is not one good reason to do so and an 8-figure amount why it is a bad idea

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
20 yrs ago when someone told me they went to an ivy leauge school i would be somewhat impressed. If some 20 yr old kid told me today he went to an ivy leauge school i would instantly think that kid is a piece of shit until proven otherwise.

Doesn’t surprise me...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Ivy League prohibits its football teams from playing in bowl games or playoff games.

Learn something new every day.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Agree

Other conferences and other sports will follow. IF there is CFB it will be in the Spring. If so it will be interesting to see what happens. If I am someone like Trevor Lawrence or someone else expected to go very high in the draft there is a 0% chance I am playing CFB in the Spring. There is not one good reason to do so and an 8-figure amount why it is a bad idea
I think Michigan HS football will move to spring. It will really hurt kids who are playing for a college scholarship.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
They don't get selected to participate in the organization that run the bowl games. Also, the Ivy league only plays 10 regular season games.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
If ivy league and smaller conferences move to the spring think about the money these conferences could earn off of tv deals if they dont have the power 5 to compete with.

We all know football dominates.

A spring season could be a great thing for the ivy league, the sun belt, the mac to name a few.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
I think no shot they play spring football. No real point, yous till lose a full season. Not like they can play in spring and then back in fall again. Ivy league who knows and who cares, all bets off with them.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I think no shot they play spring football. No real point, yous till lose a full season. Not like they can play in spring and then back in fall again. Ivy league who knows and who cares, all bets off with them.

I can agree with "no shot" they play in the Spring!

I 100% DISAGREE on "No Real Point" to play in the Spring

Most BIIIIIIIG schools: Notre Dame, Alabama, Michigan, THE Ohio State.......etc.

Need the money from CFB to fund almost all other sports on campus. No Football hurts in many, many, many, many ways

They will try and play football for this reason

And if you are the NFL you really can't feel all that confident you will truly have a season this year.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Most BIIIIIIIG schools: Notre Dame, Alabama, Michigan, THE Ohio State.......etc.

Need the money from CFB to fund almost all other sports on campus. No Football hurts in many, many, many, many ways

And if you are the NFL you really can't feel all that confident you will truly have a season this year.
So you think that they can play in the spring and then play again in the fall? I assumed that was basically an impossibility.

Heim

EOG Master
Bigger news to me is a school loaded with money, Stanford shuts down 11 sports including men's volleyball. Yikes!

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
The problem is that smaller conferences and/or mid majors are part of division 1, especially if you are talking basketball. Would it make sense to have a disproportioned season come March madness with a good quarter or third of teams not participating on time as scheduled? Defeats the purpose of competition.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
It's scary, without guarantee non-conference games, anything below Power 5 is fucked.

BINGO!

Mid-major schools rely on the first few games of the season going to a Power 5 school for a large payday to help keep the program alive. Every year Citadel goes to Alabama the week before Auburn. Bama gets the next best thing to a BYE while Citadel gets a 7-figure payday for getting their brains scrambled.

These games will not exist the next few years making it even harder for these lower level schools to still have football and several other sports

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

The big schools have so much in the bank, they can use that. ND has 12 BILLION. Stanford cuts 12 programs and has $30 bil in the bank.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Knowing how much money is at stake - I think they will try and do this
This wont happen.

Player safety is a concern with 11 games. Now you want them to play 22 games inside of 9 months?

The ncaa would have lawyers licking their chops for the chance to sue under the umbrella of player safety.

Pay for play.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
The big schools have so much in the bank, they can use that. ND has 12 BILLION. Stanford cuts 12 programs and has $30 bil in the bank.
Harvard has the country's biggest endowment. It is some ungodly amount that i think is 40 billion.

Not sure why that number sticks in my mind.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
The Ivy League prohibits its football teams from playing in bowl games or playoff games.

Learn something new every day.

You probably know, but just adding, that Ivy League players in all sports don't get athletic scholarships. So that's an expense Ivy League schools don't have.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Bigger news to me is a school loaded with money, Stanford shuts down 11 sports including men's volleyball. Yikes!

They have a 27+ billion dollar endowment. Spend some of it if you have to. Only way they shouldn't is if endowment proceeds and/or contributions are somehow restricted to just academic purposes.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
They have a 27+ billion dollar endowment. Spend some of it if you have to. Only way they shouldn't is if endowment proceeds and/or contributions are somehow restricted to just academic purposes.

Taylor Twellman posted that is the case. Schools are not allowed to spend it wherever they want

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Ivy League was the first to cancel its conference basketball tournament back on March 10.

#Cautious

Just sayin'.