Jack Sock...

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
I don’t watch or bet much tennis these days, but the downfall of jack sock this year has been truly amazing.

At the end of last year, he had a huge breakthrough.. wins the Paris masters and the makes the semifinals of the year end tour finals, which you earn by being in the top 8 of ranking points for the year. He ended up closing 2017 in the top10.

Fast forward to this year.. his record is 7-23. He has losses to people with the ranking of: 211, 127, 138, 316, 80, 143 twice. He has yet to win two matches in a row at any point this year, and after being in the top 8 in ytd ranking points last year, he is currently 152st!

More importantly though, his rankings is about to take a downward spiral. Because of the way tennis calculates points, he has still been ranked in the top 20 all year. This is because of all the points that he accrued last year in the last month of the season.

If you break down his current ranking, he has 1760 ranking points: 1000 of them are for next weeks Paris masters championship, 90 were for this weeks basel tournament, which will be gone on Monday since he lost today and 360 more of them are for year end finals semifinals.

The 360 are already gone cause there’s no chance he is qualifying for the year end finals.

He lost 70 in Basel (20 were gained due to first round loss)

The masters tournament next week is the big one. If he continues to play like he has, and he has shown no ability right now to right the ship, he could lose 975 points if he loses in the first round or 955 if he loses in the 2nd round.

You will probably never see a healthy player drop this many points again.

If he loses in the 2nd round next week, that would leave him with just 350 rankings points.
That would put him from #23 now to around #160 a month from now.

He will go from having byes in high level tournaments due to rankings, to having to play mid level challengers next year.
Really astonishing downfall. And because of his shitty attitude towards other players and umpires, he will not be getting wild cards to many events since he is not the most well liked.

Will be very interesting where he goes from here

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Just like most american players, he doesnt have the mentality to be a successful tennis player longterm. He is too fragile mentally.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
He, luckily for his sake, got the last bye at Paris. He will get blown out in the 2nd round though, playing the winner of shapo and gasquet. Will more than likely end up dropping 955 points this week.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Pretty impressive performance. Hasn’t won two in a row all year and now he is just a set away from the semis.

TEXED

EOG Veteran
Benoit...I think Sock should owe you some sort of commission for putting a reverse jinx on him. I live in Lincoln NE now where Jack Sock is a celebrity in the Tennis circles, and your original post was very interesting.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Benoit...I think Sock should owe you some sort of commission for putting a reverse jinx on him. I live in Lincoln NE now where Jack Sock is a celebrity in the Tennis circles, and your original post was very interesting.

Lol. He’s still in horrible shape next year if he loses today, which it looks like he will. He’ll lose 1250 points in the next month and will be outside the top 100.

Pretty surprised that he played as well as he had this tournament after looking completely hopeless all year.

TEXED

EOG Veteran
If he's above 100, I suppose he'll get quite a few Wild Cards and have to qualify for the others---except for the Majors. Do you know if there's a limit of wild cards per year?
It's interesting how every comment in here seemed to reverse his short-term fortunes [good and bad].

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
He has a horrible reputation in tennis as a pompous asshole. And not an entertaining asshole like Kyrgios but more of an entitled American asshole which I’m sure is hated by the rest of the world.
He’ll get a wild card to American tourneys... I guess this does secure a bye in the Australian open quailes...

His live ranking is now 105... so he’s currently not qualified for the Australian open. I wonder if he’ll play in a challenger this month to get his ranking up to qualify