Jason Heyward signs with the Cubs

JavyBaez9

EOG Master
Re: Jason Heyward signs with the Cubs

Oh look it's someone who has seen lots of Heyward over the years. This is a horrible signing and the Cubs will be hoping Heyward opts out after 3. Incredible contract for a slightly above average player.

JK, do you think EOG can impose an IQ mandatory floor for posting privileges? Calling Heyward a slightly above average player is criminally stupid. The Cards were willing to give him $200,000,000. As much as I hate the Cardinals, they wouldn't offer a slightly above average player $200,000,000. So were the Nats. He's the 2nd best defensive player in baseball behind Andrelton Simmons and an .800 OPS at 26 in a pitcher's park is nothing to sneeze at someone capable of playing centerfield well.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Cubs were 5th in HR last year despite Schwarber only playing about 1/3rd of the year. Why would they be specifically targeting power? They needed a very good situational hitter and they got one.

2nd best defensive player in the game
5th best baserunner in the game

Cubs were 5th in HR last year despite Schwarber only playing about 1/3rd of the year. Why would they be specifically targeting power? They needed a very good situational hitter and they got one.

2nd best defensive player in the game
5th best baserunner in the game

Cubs had the worst batting average in the NL

Javy/Kerry wood/ chicagoscrub thinks if you have a different opinion you have a low iq. He uses stats when they work for his argument but when they don't it doesn't matter in today's game. We get it glad the mets have room to make another deadline deal if they have to. Cespedes for less years and half the money would have been a better pickup for the cubs IMO.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

JK, do you think EOG can impose an IQ mandatory floor for posting privileges? Calling Heyward a slightly above average player is criminally stupid. The Cards were willing to give him $200,000,000. As much as I hate the Cardinals, they wouldn't offer a slightly above average player $200,000,000. So were the Nats. He's the 2nd best defensive player in baseball behind Andrelton Simmons and an .800 OPS at 26 in a pitcher's park is nothing to sneeze at someone capable of playing centerfield well.

The Tampa Bay CF KAZ much better than Heyward defensively and it is not even close...same with Trout...

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Javy/Kerry wood/ chicagoscrub thinks if you have a different opinion you have a low iq. He uses stats when they work for his argument but when they don't it doesn't matter in today's game. We get it glad the mets have room to make another deadline deal if they have to. Cespedes for less years and half the money would have been a better pickup for the cubs IMO.

That's because you're not very intelligent and think HRs are the end all of baseball. HTH.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Javy....wish the Cubs could have gotten Puig.....would have loved to hear you defend him.....

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Javy....wish the Cubs could have gotten Puig.....would have loved to hear you defend him.....

nah, I hate Puig. Wouldn't defend him. Look at the culture and personalities of this Cubs' team. I doubt they would even pursue someone like Puig.

Nothing wrong with Jason Heyward's personality, so I don't get the point.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

nah, I hate Puig. Wouldn't defend him. Look at the culture and personalities of this Cubs' team. I doubt they would even pursue someone like Puig.

Nothing wrong with Jason Heyward's personality, so I don't get the point.

Heyward not a bad guy but he is not worth the contract given to him....but props to him for stealing...

?Point was that you are such a homer that you would defend anyone....you do it with your Bears...

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Heyward not a bad guy but he is not worth the contract given to him....but props to him for stealing...

?Point was that you are such a homer that you would defend anyone....you do it with your Bears...

lol if 3 teams are willing to pay a guy a certain amount, that is his market value

he took below market value to come to the cubs

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Read the forbes article. He might be worth twice what the contract pays if you trust WAR.

grana

EOG Senior Member

Eric Steven Bramowicz obviously thinks highly of the Cubs..

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Arrieta had one bad inning lol and it was thanks to a misplay by Fowler in center and then the flukiest HR of the year by Murphy on a ball hit softer than most pop ups right down the line.

Nothing Brock says is ever right.

Arrieta had one bad inning lol and it was thanks to a misplay by Fowler in center and then the flukiest HR of the year by Murphy on a ball hit softer than most pop ups right down the line.

Nothing Brock says is ever right.
you didn't comprehend the statement...no surprise there

How times have changed. It wasn't long ago you two tried to scam each other now you want to fight.

Good grief!

lap18

EOG Dedicated

Heyward contract is terrible. He's a good addition to the Cubs but not worth half of what he got. If anybody thinks the Cubs win the WS next year they are quite silly.
They will find away to screw it up.
Javy feel free to bump this next November...... I don't think you will.

rico1

EOG Master

Heyward contract is terrible. He's a good addition to the Cubs but not worth half of what he got. If anybody thinks the Cubs win the WS next year they are quite silly.

Heyward parlayed his first opt out to Bryce Harper's UFA year. So if Heyward does not continue to rise, he can stay and collect on a real bad contract. Or, if his numbers increase? Then he opts out and allows the next "greatest contract" in MLB to set the market, so he can get a "raise". Harper is counting the years before he makes monetary history in baseball. Harper will make Arod's deal look like chump change. So for Heyward, I'm sure his agent is very pleased on this "win-win" deal he got his client.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Wow, you're taking the field (29 teams) vs the Cubs. And then you'll have the lack of common sense and intelligence to actually gloat about your prediction if it gets proven right.

Can't make this shit up folks.

And just so we're clear, you're saying Jason Heyward is not worth $11,500,000 per year. Do you realize how stupid that is? Like, can you possibly fathom how dumb this is? This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted on this site. We're in a day where elite closers make more than $11,500,000 per year, and you don't think a starting CF that is going to post a WAR of about 6 per year is worth $11,5000,000 per year?

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Heyward parlayed his first opt out to Bryce Harper's UFA year. So if Heyward does not continue to rise, he can stay and collect on a real bad contract. Or, if his numbers increase? Then he opts out and allows the next "greatest contract" in MLB to set the market, so he can get a "raise". Harper is counting the years before he makes monetary history in baseball. Harper will make Arod's deal look like chump change. So for Heyward, I'm sure his agent is very pleased on this "win-win" deal he got his client.

The Cubs got a great deal. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just stupid. Look at what other outfielders are making for the level of production provided. Heyward hasn't hit his prime yet. Playing in the small gaps of Wrigley will boost his HR totals slightly.

The Cubs got a great deal. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just stupid. Look at what other outfielders are making for the level of production provided. Heyward hasn't hit his prime yet. Playing in the small gaps of Wrigley will boost his HR totals slightly.

yeah 60 rbi's last year def worth 185 million. He will have more in his as you call it "prime". Does this stat still matter?

What will the line be if the cubs make the playoffs and John Lackey goes against Syndergaard game 3 right now? Let's assume both teams stand pat where they are now.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Its a better deal for him than the Cubs because his salary floor is extremely high for sucking/injury. If he pans out, he can walk.

Still far better to have him, especially at your biggest rival's expense.

St Louis is exploring Mark Buehrle. :LMAO

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

yeah 60 rbi's last year def worth 185 million. He will have more in his as you call it "prime". Does this stat still matter?

What will the line be if the cubs make the playoffs and John Lackey goes against Syndergaard game 3 right now? Let's assume both teams stand pat where they are now.

RBI is largely a team stat you doofus.

And you overrate Mets pitchers dude. I bet you think Harvey and Syndergaard were better than Lester last year. Look at FIP. Look at FIP. Look at FIP. Hell, Syndergaard was barely better than Hendricks last year according to FIP.

lap18

EOG Dedicated

Lol Javy calling anybody and everybody stupid that goes against his thinking on Chicago sports teams (that's about 90% of the forum). Good luck with the Cubs....they are at least heading in the right direction. It has to be exciting for the fan base after years of futility.
I do believe they aretheteamto beatific they stay healthy..... Unless Maddon starts batting the pitcher 7th to look like a genius.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Lol Javy calling anybody and everybody stupid that goes against his thinking on Chicago sports teams (that's about 90% of the forum). Good luck with the Cubs....they are at least heading in the right direction. It has to be exciting for the fan base after years of futility.
I do believe they aretheteamto beatific they stay healthy..... Unless Maddon starts batting the pitcher 7th to look like a genius.

There's a difference between having a disagreement and then suggesting that a 6-7 WAR player is not worth $11,500,000 per year when that is what closers are making on the open market.

It's like you're analyzing a player's worth by 1970 contract rates. Care to explain?

lap18

EOG Dedicated

yes it's hard for me to understand today's salary for sure. How can anybody justify paying a pitcher 1 million per start if he stays healthy and possibly a whole lot more if he misses any time at all. The same goes for a player getting 11.5 million per year and hei is probably the middle of the pack when his offense stats are factored in.
i stopped going to MLB games a long time ago because the of the prices that get passed on to the fans.
That's just me .... good luck next season

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

yes it's hard for me to understand today's salary for sure. How can anybody justify paying a pitcher 1 million per start if he stays healthy and possibly a whole lot more if he misses any time at all. The same goes for a player getting 11.5 million per year and hei is probably the middle of the pack when his offense stats are factored in.
i stopped going to MLB games a long time ago because the of the prices that get passed on to the fans.
That's just me .... good luck next season

I think you gotta get caught up on player evaluations though before you start analyzing a team's moves. For the Cubs, paying Heyward $23 million per year to play for them instead of the Cardinals is definitely a win. The Cardinals are their main competition in the NL Central, and maybe the NL in general.

40% of Heyward's value is tied to his defense. Terrible signing.

Could have signed Alex Gordon for probably half the years, and a little less money per year and he's the exact same player.

Another terrible FA signing by Theo. Not that I'm surprised, that's his weakness.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

40% of Heyward's value is tied to his defense. Terrible signing.

Could have signed Alex Gordon for probably half the years, and a little less money per year and he's the exact same player.

Another terrible FA signing by Theo. Not that I'm surprised, that's his weakness.

This is comforting. Thank you. I bet you think Jose Abreu is a great deal still as well. :LMAO Fields like a little leaguer but trying to not turn him into a DH anyway. Gotta love the Sux.

Also, for those curious, Alex Gordon had 2 steals last year, and 5 caught stealing.

Jason Heyward had 23 steals and 3 caught stealing. Gordon also no where near the defensive player and couldn't play center. Anyone dumb enough to suggest these are similar players has probably never seriously watched the game of baseball.

in 2014 - Gordon was hurt for a while last year - he was more valuable than Heyward defensively so funny to say he's no where near as good. :doh1

abreu 2nd player in MLB history to have 30/100 his first two years, but you don't think he's worth 11 million a year. never change you little pscyho. :LMAO

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

in 2014 - Gordon was hurt for a while last year - he was more valuable than Heyward defensively so funny to say he's no where near as good. :doh1

abreu 2nd player in MLB history to have 30/100 his first two years, but you don't think he's worth 11 million a year. never change you little pscyho. :LMAO

Remember that time you thought Abreu was a better contract than Rizzo?

cute. :btj:

Also, way to gloss over the fact Alex Gordon is going to be 32 in February and Heyward is 26. I'm sure that's not relevant to projecting them forward. :+clueless:doh1

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

And lol @ you bringing out irrelevant stats. Most players aren't 28 when they make their debut :LMAO:doh1

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Seriously though, Abreu's walk rate went down last year, his strikeout rate went up, and his power went down, and his OPS dropped by over .100 points. Good luck with that, sweetheart.