dirty

EOG Master
Sources: Capel will replace Sampson at Oklahoma

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->
Oklahoma is expected to name Virginia Commonwealth coach Jeff Capel as its next men's basketball coach, multiple sources told ESPN.com on Monday night. A news conference is expected either late Tuesday or Wednesday.

AP Photo/Scott K. Brown
Jeff Capel led Virginia Commonwealth to the CAA title and an NCAA Tournament berth in 2004.

Capel was scheduled to meet with his team Tuesday morning to tell them he has accepted the Sooners job.
Capel was the stealth candidate Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione had been working the past 10 days. Earlier Monday, Wichita State's Mark Turgeon and Miami's Frank Haith, thought to be front-runners for the position, both made it clear they were staying at their respective schools. Regardless, Capel was a target of Castiglione's since Kelvin Sampson announced he was leaving for Indiana two weeks ago.
Capel, 31, led the Rams to the NCAA Tournament in 2004 and the NIT in 2005. The fourth-year VCU coach is considered a rising star in the business and was selected last summer to be an assistant coach with Manhattan's Bobby Gonzalez on the USA World University Games staff led by Villanova's Jay Wright. The United States won the gold medal in Turkey.
VCU finished 19-10, 11-7 in the Colonial Athletic Association this past season.
After the season, Capel agreed to a two-year contract extension that gave him six years on his VCU deal. His record at the school was was 79-41.
Multiple sources told ESPN.com that Capel rated very high when Castiglione and other Oklahoma officials checked him out with high-profile basketball-related people. Oklahoma was looking for a person to lead the Sooners' program long term and was willing to think "out of the box" with Sampson's successor.
Oklahoma's program is at an all-time high with some of the top facilities in the country. Sampson signed his highest-rated recruiting class before he left for Indiana. The Sooners lose seniors Taj Gray, Terrell Everett and Kevin Bookout -- three of their top four scorers. But they return Michael Neal (12.4 points per game), Nate Carter (6 points) and David Godbold (5.7 points), three of the top four guards from last season's 20-9 team (11-5 in the Big 12 and a first-round loser to Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the NCAA Tournament).
Oklahoma is still waiting for an April 21 NCAA infractions hearing on rules violations from 2000-04 dealing with excessive phone calls under Sampson. The school already self-imposed penalties on Sampson (freezing his salary, no July recruiting) as well as cutting scholarships and recruiting visits from the past year.
Capel played at Duke and is the son of Charlotte Bobcats assistant Jeff Capel, a former head coach at Old Dominion and North Carolina A&T.
The younger Capel started 28 games as a freshman guard on Duke's 1994 team that made it to the NCAA championship game but lost to Arkansas. He graduated in 1997, then played in the Continental Basketball Association and in France before beginning his coaching career as an assistant to his father at Old Dominion.
He moved to Virginia Commonwealth as an assistant in 2001 and became the head coach the following year. At age 27, he was the youngest head coach in Division I at the time. Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

<!--end leftcol --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think this is a pretty good hire by uo under the circumstances.

They didn't come out of the deal as nicely as calvin simson did by going to IU but hey, how often can you lie, cheat, steal, and leave a school on probation only to get a great job like Indiana.

Castiglione, the uo AD mentioned something about STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE.

Who chooses a coach like that or even makes that comment?

That's like saying, we'd rather look good and suck, than suck and look good.

Ask Missouri what style (Snyder) got them.

I do think this was a good hire for uo though, as I said earlier.

The job right now is a lose lose sitiuation and to get anyone at this point, honestly made the search a success. Getting Capel was pretty much uo doing the best they possibly could.

I don't think any quality experienced coach would have been willing to take the chance with the looming sanctions due from the ncaa.

Capel was basically fifth on the list....AFTER the list had been narrowed down the first time from the A list guys.

HOWEVER, I think of the five it was actually probably the best guy for the job.

He's black, but not TOO black that people will make a big deal out of them hiring a black head coach (I'm not racist, but let's be honest, being black helps in recruiting the black athlete and if you don't have him, you don't have a team.)

He's smoooooth, and well spoken, and he seems to handle the media very well. I think he'll make for some pretty good post game quotes.

He's got a great pedigree. Dad played in the league and coaches, and he played at Duke. For some reason, people tend to give credence to things like that and it suppossedly looks good.

He's taken teams to the ncaa, and more recently, the NIT. Not bad for vacomm.

However....he still has to recruit in the big 12 and more specifically, the big 12 south and the state of TEXAS.

That's NOT EASY.

I feel sorry for him, because he has NO IDEA what he's gotten himself into....meaning uo. Those ignorant redneck white trash bandwagoners would just assume piss on their best player for having an off night. If he doesn't succeed, he'll literally be living in his own personal hell.

I just hope he doesn't end up being the scapegoat for all this. It could ruin a guy's career.

Good luck to him, cause I'm sure I'll be hating him in 12 months.