JIMMY THE GREEK SAYS

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Air Force +9 over FAU:
In week 1 of the 2018 College Football campaign. the Falcons (1-0) won their opener in mainly a scrimmage format with a 38-0 victory over FCS Stony Brook. Cole Fagan (18-67 3.7 1 TD) and Arion Worthman (11-66 6.0 1 TD) led a Falcons rushing attack that generated 333 yards on the ground with 4 Falcons players finding the end zone. Kyle Johnson returned an INT 32 yards to paydirt and despite Worthman attempting only 8 passes, the Air Force defense limited the Seawolves to just 75 total yards while forcing 3 turnovers. The game was interrupted by two 40 minute lightning delays, but that didn’t stop the AF defense which gave up the fewest yards to an opponent in nearly 62 years. Worthman went 2-of-8 passing for 29 yards, lost a fumble and was lifted in the third quarter for junior backup Isaiah Sanders. The Falcons led 24-0 at the time, so it was not a move made in desperation, but none of the other starters had been pulled at that point.

The Falcons travel east to beautiful Boca Raton to take on Florida Atlantic (0-1) out of Conference USA from FAU Stadium, a venue that holds just under 30,000 fans not holding much of a home field advantage. The Owls were obliterated in Norman by Oklahoma last week 63-14, allowing the then 7th ranked Sooners to rack up 809 yards of total offense. Kyle Murray threw for 274 yards on 10/12 passing with 3 TD’s. Marquise Brown caught 7 passes for 195 yards and 2 TD as Austin Kendall came in mop up duty completing 8/10 for 88 yards and a score. Rodney Anderson (5-100 20.0 2 TD) could not be stopped scoring on TD runs of 65 and 30 yards. Trey Sermon (10-86 8.6 2 TD) also ran for 2 scores, and the Sooners defense held FAU to just 312 total yards. Chris Robison (15/26 157) was mediocre at best while Devin Singletary (18-69 3.8 1 TD) and Kerrith Whyte Jr (3-15 5.0 1 TD) provided the only offense with rushing TD’s with the outcome well in hand for OU.

Air Force enters this game with plenty of momentum, but it also enters with a cautious optimism. It’s no secret that the degree of difficulty is extremely setting the bar high in stopping a triple option offense, and the Falcons have dominating balance when it comes to Worthman leading the charge as well as a variety of backs. This doesn’t bode well for a run defense that was chewed up and spit out by a rushing attack that gobbled up 428 yards in the opener. Lane Kiffin and company could be in for a long day as the Owls to prepare for an offense they rarely play and are hard pressed to use that preparation as a building block for the remainder of the year. Defensive end Hunter Snyder, who was limited in last week’s loss with an undisclosed injury, could get more of a chance to assist in stopping the fierce triple option attack, but CB Meiko Dotson is likely out for the season following hip surgery.

Singletary of course was held last week against a defense that did what it needed to when they were out there given the fact that Oklahoma scored at a break neck pace. One key player that could make a big impact is tight end Harrison Bryant, Conference USA’s preseason all-conference selection at the position last month. He had just two catches and three targets against the Sooners, so it’s going to take much more of a positive effort in order to exceed and eventually outscore the Air Force ground game. Robison could have his hands full against a defense that while not nearly tested as of yet, could turn out another standout performance led by Johnson who also is called upon the special teams front in opposing punting situations. Stony Brook managed just 4 first downs last week, and couldn’t get past a determined line led by Garret Kauppila who led the Falcons last week with 7 tackles.

Don’t expect to see more than 10 passes once again this week from Worthman, so Air Force won’t fix it if it ain’t broke. FAU can only make things tough for the Falcons if they can stop this triple option attack and force, no pun intended, the Falcons to go through the air. The Owls have much more of an efficient tempo and mix behind Robison, so if they can succeed on their drives methodically they can then own the time of possession and limit the Falcons capability of damage to be done in the ground game. Joseph Saucier didn’t find the end zone last week but ran for a team high 71 yards. Given the depth and one dimensional game plan of Air Force, FAU is going to have to play mistake free and could go down outright failing to even contain this dominating ground game. Didn’t expect this spread to be more than a TD and I’m grabbing the points in what should be a nip and tuck battle to the end.

I’ll have a second play coming up in week 2 for Saturday.

jimmythegreek

I tried convincing the naysayers that I do play underdogs t3. Maybe my critics will be more receptive in the future.

jimmythegreek

UAB -9.5 over Coastal Carolina:
In the Blazers home opener last week against Savannah State, AJ Erdely completed 22 of 28 passes for 228 yards and 2 TD’s with a pick as UAB notched their first shutout in 10 years 52-0 over the Tigers. Spencer Brown (18-102 5.7 1 TD gave UAB all the scoring they need finding the end zone just 4:00 into the game from 7 yards out on the opening drive that covered 70 yards in 9 plays. Collin Lisa caught 10 passes for 93 yards including an 11 yard score to open up the second half. Andre Wilson (3-37 1 TD) also caught a TD catch, and the Blazers offense picked apart the Tigers for nearly 550 yards of total offense including 35 first downs. The UAB defense pitched a shutout allowing only 23 passing yards forcing 3 turnovers including a Chris Woolbright 34 yard INT return to the house. D Von Gibbons and TJ Bell combined to complete just one pass in 17 attempts as most of the yardage for Savannah State came on the ground failing to generate points.

UAB travels Saturday night to the Sun Belt against Coastal Carolina at Brooks’ Stadium to face the Chanticleers. CCU faced their interstate rivals South Carolina and got clobbered 49-15 last week. Jake Bentley (22/29 250 4 TD) had a field day tearing apart the CCU secondary helping the Gamecocks surge to a 28-3 halftime lead. Deebo Samuel (7-56 1 TD) , Bryan Edwards (4-53 1 TD), Randrecous Davis (1-27 1 TD) Rico Dowdle (1-22 1 TD), and Kiel Pollard (2-12 1 TD) all caught TD passes as backup Mike Scarnecchia (3/6 44 1 TD) saw some mop up duty in the blowout. Dowdle (15-105 7.0 1 TD) also led a rushing attack that produced 263 yards on the ground including a 5 yard scoring run to open the game. Tyson Williams 11-82 7.5 1 TD) also added a 9 yard scoring run. Kilton Anderson (11/13 91) didn’t really endure much success moving the ball through the air despite accuracy underneath. Bryce Carpenter (2/5 21 1 TD) finally directed CCU to the end zone late in the 4th finding Jaivon Hellingh (2-21 1 TD) on an 8 yard scoring toss. The Chanticleers were outgained 557-238 despite committing just one turnover and basically drawing even in time of possession.

It’s hard to believe that it was just 4 years ago that UAB completely dropped it’s program, only to return in 2017 after a 2 year hiatus under head coach Bill Clark who successfully led them to an 8-4 record and a berth in the Bahamas Bowl losing to Ohio 41-6. Erderly at 6’4" and around 230, has a stellar form QB frame with plenty of height and arm strength not to mention a strong forecast of confidence to duplicate success. Bryan Vincent assumes the same offensive coordinator position he held in 2014, leading a Blazers program that could shape up to be the most balanced in the conference. Erderly also has a balanced receiving core and multiple backs in the running game to mix up the play calls. Coastal Carolina’s overmatched and undersized defense couldn’t hold up against the more talented Gamecocks, and could endure more of the same misfortune tomorrow. It remains to be seen what is in store for new DC Marvin Sanders’ scheme, as he replaces the retired Mickey Matthews. To add insult to injury, head coach Joe Moglia witnessed DB Nick Harvey’s vicious targeting penalty and will be on the sidelines for the first half. On the positive side, Coastal has a starting defensive front returning four sophomores in Jeffrey Gunter, C.J. Brewer, Jonathan Clayton and Tarron Jackson. The starting linebacking corps consists of sophomore Silas Kelly and juniors James Heft and Laqavious Paul.

Anderson will start on Saturday with Marcus Outlow the featured back. The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers are a team that has a whole lot to prove especially entering their first season in FBS play. Moglia missed last season with a lung infection, and is hoping to get Anderson, a Fresno St transfer to take more chances downfield given the time and protection. Malcolm Williams looks to be Anderson’s favorite target, and may need to step up his game considering he had the smoothest hands on the roster leading the club in receptions, receiving yards and TD’s last season (43-793 7 TD). Leading a more acute defense in the lopsided win was linebacker Jamell Garcia-Williams. The senior, who played in place of an injured Stacy Kelly, had four tackles, two tackles for a loss and a sack. Of course the Blazers’ defense will be more tested as last weeks’ shutout shouldn’t seem so over hyped against a still decrease in class. Woolbright and Kristoher Moll could wind up with big games again if Anderson fails to make big plays in the passing game leaving the ground attack isolated on a deserted island.

UAB is just a much better team than the Chanticleers. While nowhere near the intensity nor veteran leadership of Wil Muschamp and South Carolina, but they contain a big time offense behind Erderly and the versatility of Dowdle. CCU had trouble virtually stopping anybody last season yielding slightly better than 34 points per contest, and I see UAB with just too many weapons and an advantage on both sides of the ball to cruise past the Chanticleers.

Best of luck however you play!
YTD 2-0 1.000

jimmythegreek

As predicted, Air Force stays within a TD in this one and lose exactly by that margin. That’s one down so far in week 2 on Saturday. Maybe I should change my thread to Jimmy the Psychic says? Nah not original enough.

jimmythegreek

Looks like CCU is about to win outright, so the Saturday split takes us to 3-1. GL to all on week 1 of the NFL Sunday.

ChuckyG

EOG Master
jimmythegreek;n7454203 said:
As predicted, Air Force stays within a TD in this one and lose exactly by that margin. That’s one down so far in week 2 on Saturday. Maybe I should change my thread to Jimmy the Psychic says? Nah not original enough.

Jimmy, did u SEE that finish? That was one awesome back-door cover. You're livin right this year, my friend.

jimmythegreek

ChuckyG;n7454232 said:
Jimmy, did u SEE that finish? That was one awesome back-door cover. You're livin right this year, my friend.

I saw later on that there was a blocked punt returned to the end zone for a td with :50 left. I'll take them any way I can get them bud!