John Groce may be coaching for his job today at Penn State

Can't imagine a scenario where Illinois makes the tournament losing this game to Penn State looking at their remaining schedule.

I also can't imagine Illinois keeping John Groce employed with another missed tournament appearance.

That said, I doubt Illinois wins.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: John Groce may be coaching for his job today at Penn State

Thanks for staying on topic, Bumgarner.

Both Illinois and Penn State are 3-5 in conference play.

The Big Ten has a bulging middle class.

Make it low-to-middle class.

One of the only things I've agreed with Scrubs on. He had to win today and he did not get it done.

This dude has to go. He is not a power 5 coach. A lot of the mid-major guys need to learn from Few and stay where you are and continue winning.

90-69 su
Somewhere around 66-71-9 ats

Illinois should be towards the top of the Big 10 every year. Somehow Minnesota has passed them up. That is embarrassing.

In typical Groce fashion, got down 22 points and then battled back to 3. Usually it's up big in the first half and then choking though.

There's enough talent here to win. Just can't coach a full game out of his team ever.

Northwestern and Illinois State passed them as well.

3rd best program in Illinois should be automatic firing.

Fired

Who will they hire?

Hopefully not Cuonzo.

I hear they have a big big budget, so that puts names like Gregg Marshall/Archie Miller in play.

Kevin Keatts maybe a fall back plan.

AD gets a failing score from me for not firing Groce last year and hiring Brad Underwood.

Valuist

EOG Master

Northwestern and Illinois State passed them as well.

3rd best program in Illinois should be automatic firing.

And about the 3rd best football program in the state as well. Basketball team needs to recruit Chicago, football team needs to recruit suburban Chicago. They don't, and those areas get raided by the likes of Wisky (both sports) and NIU (football).

If you're Greg Marshall, why would you stay at Wichita State?

#8 on Kenpom, 31-4, and you're a 10 seed? You're not going to get respect in that conference anytime soon.

If Illinois comes calling for 5 years $25,000,000, he should take the money and run.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

If you're Greg Marshall, why would you stay at Wichita State?

#8 on Kenpom, 31-4, and you're a 10 seed? You're not going to get respect in that conference anytime soon.

If Illinois comes calling for 5 years $25,000,000, he should take the money and run.

HUH? Get no respect? They were the #1 seed a few years ago. What seed did you expect them to get? Even if they got on the 8/9 line, they may have a little easier 1st game, but then get the #1 seed in the second round. They played two ranked teams this year, one of which at the time was Mich St who stinks, and lost to them both, and got blown out by Okla St. The only team they beat that is in the tournament is S Dakota St. Then, they beat everyone by 20 in a conference that was god awful, other than Illinois St., who also blew them out once. They played no one and beat no one. If they didn't win their tourney, they could of been left out.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Not sure why the Illini faithful think it's a elite job - it's a stepping-stone job. Monte Williams already turned the job down. i do have two long shots for them - Fred Hoiberg and Mike Davis.

money is money

Illinois can make the next coach the highest paid in CBB thanks to Shahid Khan.

Heim

EOG Master

Illinois got a good coach in Underwood at OKST. Didn't realize he was grossly underpaid there.

newport2

EOG Dedicated

Illinois got a good coach in Underwood at OKST. Didn't realize he was grossly underpaid there.
Ok St had to pay the rest of Travis Ford's contract settlement this year. Underwood was coaching for peanuts!

Clint Parks@Brotherhood05 16m16 minutes agoMore

Clint Parks Retweeted Jeff Goodman
I thought Oklahoma State was his dream job? All about the money never get it twisted.

Clint Parks added,
Jeff GoodmanVerified account @GoodmanESPN
Illinois has hired Oklahoma State’s Brad Underwood, sources told ESPN.

0 replies2 retweets2 likes

Retweet

Heim

EOG Master

Ok St had to pay the rest of Travis Ford's contract settlement this year. Underwood was coaching for peanuts!

Makes sense. UNLV wanted him before Beard but couldn't even match his current 1mil.

Hopefully not Cuonzo.

I hear they have a big big budget, so that puts names like Gregg Marshall/Archie Miller in play.

Kevin Keatts maybe a fall back plan.

AD gets a failing score from me for not firing Groce last year and hiring Brad Underwood.

I guess I better amend the AD's score.

Still cost himself more money by not signing him last year though.

Square

EOG Enthusiast

Rumor is that Gregggg Marshall is in Indianapolis today.

OSU AD Mike Holder, former legendary golf coach, really blew this negotiation with Underwood. He is close to retiring so maybe he should.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Congrats to the Illini for hiring another coach who will get nothing out of Chicago.

Within 3 years he will either leave for a better job, or the fans will want him gone.

Underwood losing to Vandy in a scrimmage??

Not very impressive so far.....

Maybe Underwood turns it around..... but I don't see it yet.

The Big 10 is so good and if he is not getting 5 star guys it is going to be tough. He gets 1 really good player in this recruiting class (the pg), but he is a score first pg who is fun to watch, but is probably not going to win them many games. His EYBL team had a terrible record.

Valuist

EOG Master
Illinois seems to try to distance itself from Chicago. The suburbs are loaded with football talent, and the city has plenty of basketball talent. Henson used to recruit Chicago, when Jimmy Collins was his main assistant. Schools like Wisconsin and Iowa do a better job of recruiting Chicago area.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Illinois seems to try to distance itself from Chicago. The suburbs are loaded with football talent, and the city has plenty of basketball talent. Henson used to recruit Chicago, when Jimmy Collins was his main assistant. Schools like Wisconsin and Iowa do a better job of recruiting Chicago area.
The CPL boycotted Illinois when they didn’t hire Jimmy Collins. Illinois was a rumor on Chicago a lot, putting their games on WIND 560. The recruiting pecking order in Chicago is ND, Wisc/Iowa, NU, the rest, then Illinois. You would think they would get players from St Louis also, not really.