July 1st…Bobby Bonilla Day

mr merlin

EOG Master
The guy or perhaps his agent was a genius considering most athletes blow their money on foolish investments like restaurants.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
When Bruce Sutter signed with the Braves before the 1985 season, he agreed to a deal for six years and $9.1 million. Each year, his Braves “salary” of $750,000 was just an interest payment on the money, roughly 8 percent interest, which means he still got paid in 1989 and 1990 despite being retired. Then for 30 years, the Braves have been on the hook for $1.12 million every year, and in 2022, when Sutter is 69 years old, they owe him a balloon payment of that $9.1 million. All in all, it’s over $47 million for a pitcher who delivered just 40 saves for a team that averaged 96 losses per season.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
And a lot of smart MLB teams keep their retired stars in the fold, acting as ambassadors for fans and sponsors alike.

Are there teams that do it better than either the Cardinals or the Yankees?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Like Bruce Sutter, RAILBIRD had a nasty splitter in his teen years.

How do I know?

I saw the scrapbook.

A question for EOG's resident quick-wit HEIM:

I struggled with the punchline here.

The set-up line is "How do I know?"

Should the punchline be:

a) He told me so.

b) I saw the scrapbook.

Or c) Other

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
Knowing Railbird's propensity to stretch the truth and flat out fib, it was
probably a spitter not a splitter.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
When Bruce Sutter signed with the Braves before the 1985 season, he agreed to a deal for six years and $9.1 million. Each year, his Braves “salary” of $750,000 was just an interest payment on the money, roughly 8 percent interest, which means he still got paid in 1989 and 1990 despite being retired. Then for 30 years, the Braves have been on the hook for $1.12 million every year, and in 2022, when Sutter is 69 years old, they owe him a balloon payment of that $9.1 million. All in all, it’s over $47 million for a pitcher who delivered just 40 saves for a team that averaged 96 losses per season.
Sutter timed it perfectly. he died at the age of 69.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I know Max Scherzer gets deferred money but I believe his is interest free and he is just paid what he is owed.
that's not the way it 's supposed to work, interest based on the time value of deferred money is not a bonus, getting millions more in 15-20 years than you defer now is not extra, it's what you have coming, it's simple actuarial math.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
if I was a pro athlete why wouldn't you put a portion of your salary into this type of payout. Live off your current money with the idea that after you leave the game you have this "annunity" waiting for you.

mr merlin

EOG Master
if I was a pro athlete why wouldn't you put a portion of your salary into this type of payout. Live off your current money with the idea that after you leave the game you have this "annunity" waiting for you.
Most big stars get huge signing bonus's now, any player could take some of that bonus and go purchase from an insurance co a policy similar to bonillas if they wanted. the fee's involved would be pretty small.

When people win the lottery and choose the long term payment plan instead of the cash option that's exactly what the lottery does - they pay the lump sum to a ins co and they guarantee the payments.