Karlsson to Sharks

DrunkenGoon

EOG Dedicated
Tierney, DeMelo, 2 prospects (former 1st round pick Josh Norris and Lavian who scored 20+ in AHL last season) , a 1st in 2020, and a second in 2019 and two conditionals (one becomes a 1st if Sharks make the finals AND resign Karlsson).

Good for both franchises, gonna be scary facing Sharks with two guys eating north of 30 mins. That PP should have no problem hitting 33% this season.

Ottawa gets 6+ pieces and can now start working on their teardown and rebuild.

raininthrees

Point Spread Nomad
most moves in sports are meaningless
this is a earthquake of a move the sharks have declared
2018 and 2019 as the salvo to win it all

Bushay

NHL Expert
I agree with Craig Buttons take. Sense didn’t get nearly enough for this superstar. I can’t post the video cause TSN GEO protects their content from anyone but Canadians watching till its shared on YouTube and it’s not available yet. But if you have a VPN, he breaks it down very well. The trade naturally can’t be graded till those future draft picks are in, but the only way I see SJ losing this is if Karlsson walks next year. And even then they could trade him where he may really want to go and Wilson will get a ton more value back than Dorian just did. Sens are a floundering franchise. I only hope one of my favorite players in the league Mark Stones agent gets him out of that town. Then Matt Duchane will be their leader and the fans revolt and protest till Melynyk sells the team. Doug Wilson continues to keep his job with continued losing teams but comes back the following years helping the team quickly forget the misery and inability to win them a cup. Rather have a Doug Wilson as my GM than a Kenny Holland any day. At least the fans always have hope their team will contend year after year after year. Yzerman needs to come home soon and lead us back to a respected franchise again. He’s another big game hunter. And is still able to complete with a salary cap year after year.

Coach Boucher better have a long lease in Ottawa.

Who will I’ll have a smaller attendance total on the year. Ottawa or Arizona?

Bushay

NHL Expert
DrunkenGoon;n7454983 said:
Tierney, DeMelo, 2 prospects (former 1st round pick Josh Norris and Lavian who scored 20+ in AHL last season) , a 1st in 2020, and a second in 2019 and two conditionals (one becomes a 1st if Sharks make the finals AND resign Karlsson).

Good for both franchises, gonna be scary facing Sharks with two guys eating north of 30 mins. That PP should have no problem hitting 33% this season.

Ottawa gets 6+ pieces and can now start working on their teardown and rebuild.

You very well may be the only individual on the face of the earth who feels this way. How do you reach a conclusion like this?

Not it very well thought out, that’s for sure.

DrunkenGoon

EOG Dedicated
It's scorched earth here in Ottawa... Usually the team that gets the best player in the deal wins the deal. There was no way for Ottawa to win this deal. Melnyk sketched it out last year, he was not willing to pay Karlsson north of 10M per season and Dorien was in a bad spot, especially with a mandate not to trade him to an eastern conference team. I am surprised that he went back to San Jose after getting burned in the Hoffman deal earlier this summer.

As bad as this deal might seem on the surface, Ottawa is not trying to win now, allegedly they have a 5 year play which would coincide with them being a cup contender when they move in the new arena. They are stockpiling their system with picks, they are slashing payroll to the cap floor and more moves are coming. Maybe they could have gotten a better player in dealing with Dallas or Tampa but it wouldn't have been as deep a bounty that they are getting here.

Obviously, it's not a good deal for the franchise right now, but Karlsson was never going to be re-signed here, be it because the club couldn't afford it or because he wanted to win and the club was not going to win any time soon. Why pay someone 10M+ a season for a few years when you're a cost cutting side if you're going to struggle to even smell the playoffs?

My opinion is personal and not shaped by listening to the experts. I knew this deal was coming and it was a difficult deal for Ottawa to make given all their self imposed constraints. When you factor all of that in, it was about as good as they could have gotten. That's why I consider it good.

Ottawa will struggle to get 10k through the turnstiles for midweek games this season. People are just angry right now, understandably so and they will vote with their wallets for a long time.

Expect Duchesne to be next out the door if he doesn't buy in for the long haul, but that's still up in the air, he apparently really enjoys playing here. Stone will be here, they are trying to sign him, but if that doesn't work out he'll bring in a decent haul at the deadline.

Sens camp should be fun to follow, lots of jobs up for grabs.

Circle this for the long haul: TT OVER for their opponents, each and every night this season: Chabot, DeMelo, Ceci,Harpur, Borowiecki, Wideman is their back line.

DrunkenGoon

EOG Dedicated
Forgot to mention yesterday that JG Pageau got hurt during his medical and is out for most of the season. Bad news for him, great opportunity for Logan Brown to grab that #2 center spot and run with it. This kid is gonna be special.

Bushay

NHL Expert
DrunkenGoon;n7455144 said:
It's scorched earth here in Ottawa... Usually the team that gets the best player in the deal wins the deal. There was no way for Ottawa to win this deal. Melnyk sketched it out last year, he was not willing to pay Karlsson north of 10M per season and Dorien was in a bad spot, especially with a mandate not to trade him to an eastern conference team. I am surprised that he went back to San Jose after getting burned in the Hoffman deal earlier this summer.

As bad as this deal might seem on the surface, Ottawa is not trying to win now, allegedly they have a 5 year play which would coincide with them being a cup contender when they move in the new arena. They are stockpiling their system with picks, they are slashing payroll to the cap floor and more moves are coming. Maybe they could have gotten a better player in dealing with Dallas or Tampa but it wouldn't have been as deep a bounty that they are getting here.

Obviously, it's not a good deal for the franchise right now, but Karlsson was never going to be re-signed here, be it because the club couldn't afford it or because he wanted to win and the club was not going to win any time soon. Why pay someone 10M+ a season for a few years when you're a cost cutting side if you're going to struggle to even smell the playoffs?

My opinion is personal and not shaped by listening to the experts. I knew this deal was coming and it was a difficult deal for Ottawa to make given all their self imposed constraints. When you factor all of that in, it was about as good as they could have gotten. That's why I consider it good.

Ottawa will struggle to get 10k through the turnstiles for midweek games this season. People are just angry right now, understandably so and they will vote with their wallets for a long time.

Expect Duchesne to be next out the door if he doesn't buy in for the long haul, but that's still up in the air, he apparently really enjoys playing here. Stone will be here, they are trying to sign him, but if that doesn't work out he'll bring in a decent haul at the deadline.

Circle this for the long haul: TT OVER for their opponents, each and every night this season: Chabot, DeMelo, Ceci,Harpur, Borowiecki, Wideman is their back line.

Well, it was very dumb not to trade with all 30 teams. If the owner told him that, he’s certainly not his own man and should just move on. Either you hire me to put a winner on the ice or don’t hire me at all. That nut can’t dictate that. So by not trading him to say Toronto, there’s a strike against you right there. Who care if they see him 8 times a year and rubs it in their noses each and every time. Your concentrating on building Ottawa, not Toronto. Kessel went from Boston to Toronto, same division. Who cares. They still couldn’t beat the Bruins. Again, unless Karlsson doesn’t reup, I agree, the Sens can’t win this trade. Mainly because of the players coming back and the picks he got in the years he’s getting them. Sharks traded next years no. 1pick away. So in another very deep draft, he’s not in the best position. These players he got more than likely only one has a decent shot at being a 2 nd line guy on their upside. Will be interesting down the road when we hear what was offered and what he turned down by taking SJs offer. And who’s doing the talking as well.

No ones saying he shouldn’t have been moved. He had to be moved. And my opinion isn’t shaped by the talking heads either. But when one of them speaks and you happen to agree which damn near everyth8 g he’s saying, and I bring him up as a reference, I’m simply stating I’m not the only one who feels this way. It’s confirmation I’m not on an island with my thoughts.

I dont think Duchane enjoying playing there is a good thing either. There’s a handful of very very talented guys in This league who will never win anything team related. They are selfish players. They think me first and not we. He’s one of them. If he bolts from the team it’s further confirmation. How can you say he will bring in a decent haul when they got this garbage from SJ? Karlsson arguable considered the top defenseman in the league, where would you rank Stone in terms or forwards or centers in this league? He’s a stud in my mind but just average when you start comparing other forwards in the league.

One thing I agree with you is, one you get past all the negativity there in that city, it WILL be fun watching them build a winner with guys fighting for jobs. I got my Wings season tickets 4-5 years before Yzerman arrived. He was drafted in 84. And we sat and first watched for years how bad this franchise was and then how it was not only built into a winner but almost a dynasty if you will. Made it oh so much more sweeter when it all came together. But Detroit had an owner that got out of the way. Hired the right people and let them do their jobs. And slowly went through coaches till Bowman was brought in to finish the job. Then Babcock.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
DrunkenGoon;n7455144 said:

Love it.. Thanks!!

Sharks in ML parlays
Ottawa TT overs for opponents.

Looking forward to NHL.