Las Vegas Aces forfeit a game in their inaugural season, proceed to miss playoffs by one game

yisman

EOG Master
A couple of weeks ago, their players refused to play against the Mystics, citing fatigue from a long flight.

The hilarious part was the 5 "fans" of the team defending the team and blaming the league for not allowing charter flights (and demanding "equal pay" with their male counterparts).

The WNBA loses millions each season because it has almost no fans/revenue.

But the players want charter flights (which would cost several hundred thousand a season) and to be paid millions of dollars a season.

The WNBA playoffs begin tonight and the Aces are absent because of their outrageously lazy players.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Fair points............but lets not overlook the fact that even if they played - and on normal rest and travel - they were no lock to win this game. They were an 8-ish point dog to the 3rd best team in the league

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Because the Aces had already lost the tiebreaker to the Wings, they would have had to not only win the forfeited game , but at least one other that they lost to get into the playoffs

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
ComptrBob;n7452036 said:
Because the Aces had already lost the tiebreaker to the Wings, they would have had to not only win the forfeited game , but at least one other that they lost to get into the playoffs

Meaning this had no impact on the playoffs

Heim

EOG Master
I would assume a RSW bet on the Aces is voided.....I know they were around the number.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Heim;n7452051 said:
I would assume a RSW bet on the Aces is voided.....I know they were around the number.

This is an interesting question.

Usually an RSW total specifies a minimum number of games that must be "played" to have the bet be "ACTION". In MLB, it usually doesn't have to be all 162 games. The WNBA RSW total minimum is obviously the full season of 34 games. The WNBA official site lists the Aces as 14-20. So is a "game played" equivalent to just a "game decision"?

We know for betting purposes (I think a near universal rule) a game in the WNBA isn't "official" until it goes in the final 5 minutes of the 4thQ. So if a game is shortened by a leaky roof ,does it count as "played"? Does a game that goes just into the 3rd quarter count as "played"?

I would argue that the RSW total is just concerned with "game decisions", but there are arguments on both sides.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Laimbeer's gone soft at age 61.'

I preferred the fiery Coach Laimbeer who lambasted players for poor play and intimidated weak officials with his massive presence.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
ComptrBob;n7452055 said:
This is an interesting question.

Usually an RSW total specifies a minimum number of games that must be "played" to have the bet be "ACTION". In MLB, it usually doesn't have to be all 162 games. The WNBA RSW total minimum is obviously the full season of 34 games. The WNBA official site lists the Aces as 14-20. So is a "game played" equivalent to just a "game decision"?

We know for betting purposes (I think a near universal rule) a game in the WNBA isn't "official" until it goes in the final 5 minutes of the 4thQ. So if a game is shortened by a leaky roof ,does it count as "played"? Does a game that goes just into the 3rd quarter count as "played"?

I would argue that the RSW total is just concerned with "game decisions", but there are arguments on both sides.

FEZZIK offered a documented wager here at EOG on the Las Vegas Aces UNDER 14.5 victories.

I have the sheets for both William Hill and Westgate WNBA RSW totals and there are no disclaimers listed on either sheet.