LATE No-Hitter Alert

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Mike Fiers through 8 in Oakland vs. the formerly scorching-hot Reds.

He’s at 118 pitches so this is gonna be interesting.

I can’t figure Fiers out. He either throws a gem or gets shelled. No middle ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Finished it. 131 pitches I think.

Ramon Laureano robbing Joey Votto of a homer in the 6th is required viewing,

VegasVic

EOG Addicted
Finished it. 131 pitches I think.

Ramon Laureano robbing Joey Votto of a homer in the 6th is required viewing,

Laureano is from the same mold as Jackie Bradley Jr or Kevin Plilar. Whatever they do offensively is a plus because they seem to save a run defensively every game. Laureano has one of the best arms in MLB.

131 pitches? I’m putting a early check mark next to the Cleveland Indians name this weekend in Oakland. Probably the over on Cleveland’s TT too.

Valuist

EOG Master
I would say Fiers form is certainly dressed up right now. It was a terrible spot for the Reds; having played in Cincinnati on Monday, then fly 3 times zones west. To make matters worse, a problem with the lights caused the game to be delayed by an hour and a half. So body clock wise, the game started after 11:30 pm for the Reds.

There were two great defensive plays on successive hitters. A diving catch by Profar in short right field near the foul line, then Laureano stealing a HR away from Votto. 131 pitches is obviously a concern but not a career high. In Fiers' first no hitter in 2015, he threw 134 pitches. So how did Fiers do in his start following that no hitter? Pretty good; 6 innings, only 3 hits allowed and 1 run. But it should be pointed out, that was on EIGHT days rest. I would guess Melvin gives him some extra days before his next start.

Imagine this: of the exactly 300 no hitters in MLB history, 4 of the 300 were thrown by either Fiers or Homer Bailey.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Very interesting (and scary) stat, Valuist.

Of those 300 no hitters, there have been 23 perfect games. I would argue however that the most famous perfect game in MLB history was actually not a prefect game, and that's the one back in 2010 that Armando Galarraga had stolen from him by Jim Joyce on an awful call at 1st base with two outs in the 9th. It was probably the worst call Jim Joyce has ever made in his career, and to do it at that moment... oof.

I believe that was game that finally spurned serious discussion about bringing instant replay into baseball.

Valuist

EOG Master
Fiers is back on Monday. 6 days rest this time (8 days rest after last no hitter). Fiers faced Seattle back in the opening series in Tokyo and was hit hard. The A's also got Khris Davis back today after missing a few games. He hasn't homered since April 12.

Heim

EOG Master
Ryu had one going into the eighth.......wow who would have thought this guy after injury layoffs would be the best pitcher
in NL.

kane

EOG master
The obvious thinking would be to fade a pitcher after a no hitter, but it's more profitable to play the over in that pitcher's next start, the Oakland/Seattle total has gone up from the opener

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Very interesting (and scary) stat, Valuist.

Of those 300 no hitters, there have been 23 perfect games. I would argue however that the most famous perfect game in MLB history was actually not a prefect game, and that's the one back in 2010 that Armando Galarraga had stolen from him by Jim Joyce on an awful call at 1st base with two outs in the 9th. It was probably the worst call Jim Joyce has ever made in his career, and to do it at that moment... oof.

I believe that was game that finally spurned serious discussion about bringing instant replay into baseball.
That closely followed by the Milt Pappas missed perfect game on the borderline walk to Larry Stahl with 2 out in the 9th.

https://www.mlb.com/video/milt-pappas-no-hitter-in-1972-c11681195