LeBron James’ reaction to MVP voting: ‘It pissed me off’

"LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James said Friday night he was “pissed off” to learn that he only received 16 first-place votes for the 2019-20 NBA MVP award that went to Milwaukee Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo.

“It pissed me off. That’s my true answer,” he said after the Lakers defeated the Denver Nuggets 126-114 in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals. “It pissed me off because out of 101 votes, I got 16 first-place votes. That’s what pissed me off more than anything. Not saying the winner wasn’t deserving of the MVP, but that pissed me off.”

...“He deserves it,” Anthony Davis said of James after the Lakers big man posted a game-high 37 points and pulled down 10 rebounds. “What he’s been able to do for our team, things he’s been doing individually on a consistent basis, night in and night out, it’s not even a question who deserves it.”

Davis also suggested that players should be a part of the voting process. Right now the honor is only selected by media members.

James waited for Davis to finish his presser Friday night like he always does. When Davis concluded, he approached James playfully and asked him if he needed a hug.

James clarified that he was pissed when he found out about the voting results, but he suggested that he was at peace and that he’d sleep well.

“I’m fine. Don’t get it twisted. I’m going back to my room perfectly fine,” he said. “We’re up 1-0 in the Western Conference finals. I’m absolutely fine. I was pissed off at the reaction earlier when I saw it. I’m absolutely great now. I’m going back to my room and to drink some wine.”

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/le...to-mvp-voting-it-pissed-me-off-055215448.html

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I appreciate LeBron's honesty.

However, there's a time and a place for discussing individual awards in team sports.

Do you really want to get pissed off at the opinions of 100 media members during the Western Conference Finals?

I don't think so.

Heim

EOG Master
This shocked me....he wouldn't even mention Giannis by name....what do you expect from a guy who wears a hairpiece during games. Fake all the way around.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
The frustration could be enhanced into even more of a beast mode against Denver the remainder of the series and beyond. Just 16 votes is overwhelmingly low, no excuse. As mentioned many times and to most fans' chagrin, this is strictly a regular season achievement award. His initial reaction is one thing, but a maximum of 33 more votes granted would make the situation even more frustrating at the very least.

Heim

EOG Master
James took a lot of the votes from Davis......the real MVP. 6th place for AD......do these guys watch the games?

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
I appreciate LeBron's honesty.
"
However, there's a time and a place for discussing individual awards in team sports.

Do you really want to get pissed off at the opinions of 100 media members during the Western Conference Finals?
I don't think so.

Fuck them. a bunch of abject morons, the whole lot of them save the, "Super 16." You want to talk about Voting Fraud.... you just saw it.... ridiculous.

This shocked me....he wouldn't even mention Giannis by name....what do you expect from a guy who wears a hairpiece during games. Fake all the way around.

You still post here? Ok, go on w/ your complete and total BS takes that have been proven so, time and time again.

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am
James took a lot of the votes from Davis......the real MVP. 6th place for AD......do these guys watch the games?

Since you say Kyrie > AD, then Kyrie is the real MVP. Well, that's what you say when you're not saying AD dissapears in the Playoffs. Boy, you were so right, did AD even play in Game 1 of the WCF?

Make up your mind and get back to us.

Heim

EOG Master
Kyrie this side of Harden is the most potent offensive weapon in the league...unfortunately
his brain is not very potent.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
He's still whining about this.....

Geez, he's not even close to being the best player on his team.

And I mean not in the same hemisphere kind of close.

Only outrage here is the 16 clowns that threw him a vote.

Most people don't actually understand what "Most Valuable Player" actually means. They THINK they do, but most don't.

It's not a second scoring championship. It's not a popularity contest.

One of the best ways to succinctly describe it is the answer to the question: "IF a certain player were not on the team, which team would have the worst results?"

(I wish I could word that a little better, but the point is there)

mr merlin

EOG Master
Lebron is not only dumb, but he's classless as well. Just imagine his reaction if the media/coaches, etc would stop kissing his ass?