Lovie Smith heading to the Big Ten

rico1

EOG Master
To coach Illinois:

A source has confirmed to CFT that Smith is set to replace Bill Cubit as the Illini’s head coach. Smith’s hiring is expected to be formally announced at some point this coming week, after the paperwork clears the university’s human resources department.

If the hiring comes to fruition, Smith’s first Illini coaching staff could have a familiar feel, with Bruce Feldman of FOXSports.com writing that Smith “could also bring two of his sons who were on his staff in Tampa Bay with him.” It’s believed all of Cubit’s former assistants have been give permission to seek other jobs, ostensibly because they will not be retained by the new head coach.

The move to the Illini would be his first at the college level since working as the defensive backs coach at Ohio State in 1995. He’s also had collegiate coaching stints at Tennessee (1993-94), Kentucky (1992), Arizona State (1988-91) and Wisconsin (1987).

Waz

EOG Addicted
Re: Lovie Smith heading to the big ten

As a Illinois alum, have to say that I cringed when this was announced yesterday. Lovie probably has the worst clock management skills as any coach I've seen, and I'm not sure his demeanor plays well in the college game. They could have done worse, but they could have also done a lot better.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I thought Cubit did a pretty good job considering the mess he inherited.

blueline

EOG Master
Lovie Smith’s vaunted defense allowed 712 yards to the Terrapins. The Illini have given up 158 points in their last three games