Mott’s pre-race comments on Saratoga Gr. 1 Woodward Champion Yoshida

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Mott on Yoshida...

“Yoshida: Grade 1-winning Japanese-bred son of Heart’s Cry makes dirt debut in today’s Woodward. “How you doing? We’ve got two horses who can slip their halter within five sec- onds of being tied up. He can and Hofburg can. If you’re in the stall brushing them you can tie them up, but otherwise, as soon as you leave, it’ll be off. He’s got two halters, one small one and one normal one.

The dirt is something we need to do, I’m perfectly fine with it, it’s just something that has to be done, the way he’s trained, the way he’s bred. For his future, it’s important to find out. The only thing I would hope is it’s black or white, you’re either in or you’re not. OK, don’t stagger home and finish third beaten 5 lengths and have a little trouble on the way where you say, ‘Ah, well, he got bothered, maybe we can...’ I would be equally as confident as (Good Samaritan in the Jim Dandy), I think in these situations, maybe sometimes you have a real strong feeling, but for me, I have a wait and see, let’s get him over there, get him saddled and I want to see the result.

He came back from the race on the turf with an eye that was completely closed up, that’s what may have happened in that race, he took a big clod in his eye and I think it stunned him.”

https://thisishorseracing.com/news/PDF/2018special/09-01-18.pdf