My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I have a knack for meeting interesting people.

My general curiosity and inquisitive personality are handy traits, but it's the gambling environment which serves as the leading contributor to finding rich characters.

Last Saturday was no exception.

At a Costa Rican bar in the capital city of San Jose, I was watching the second game of a doubleheader between the Cubs and Cardinals, silently rooting for under 8.5 runs when I noticed a fellow gambler outwardly cheering for runs to be scored.

Most serious gamblers don't cheer though I quickly recognized my new acquaintance was not your typical low-IQ sports fan either.

(Sidenote: Because gamblers are portrayed poorly in American culture, I love to exact revenge at the expense of simple-minded, hero-worshipping sports fans. Dumb, dumb, dumb.)

A handsome man in his late 50's or thereabouts, he had the look of a tennis pro straight from Central Casting: lean, clean, classy, thinning blonde hair, bronze tan and wearing a matching sweat suit and expensive tennis shoes from adidas.

Sure enough, he announced himself as Campbell Booth, a former tennis player who competed 12 years (mostly in doubles) on the ATP tour.

Back in the day, Booth earned a scholarship to the University of Texas and today finds himself in Costa Rica tutoring high school kids for a chance to earn Division I scholarships in the States.

With a home in San Antonio, Booth is enjoying the good life after completing a 15-year run as Director of Tennis at Hyatt Regency Acapulco.

We discussed a theory on why former professional athletes gravitate to the gambling arena once their playing days are over.

Booth agreed with my claim that former pro athletes view sports betting as an opportunity to extend their competitive life.

It also helps that many retired athletes have both time and money at their disposal.

Booth said the average sports fan has little or no idea about the sacrifices made to become a world-class athlete.

He then remembered the best player he ever faced: the one and only John McEnroe.

"I played Johnny at least 30 times as a junior starting at age 10. I played him at 10, 12, 14...all the way up. And would you believe, I never beat him, not once."

As for McEnroe's fiery personality, Booth recalled McEnroe was the same "SuperBrat" at age 10 as he was so famously in the 1980's.

Booth repeated a well-known refrain about McEnroe in blunt terms, "JohnnyMac was a prick on the court but a great guy away from it."

And, oh yes, the Cubs-Cards game produced nine runs after visiting St. Louis scored three runs in the ninth to unlock a 3-3 tie.

Ninth-inning agony for yours truly and a lucky break, if you will, for the tennis pro.

MLB TOTALS
...Like my fellow EOG contributor Zzyzx Road, I focus my attention on betting under before over.

My three greatest fears as a dedicated under bettor are the first, fifth and ninth innings.

More runs are scored in the first inning than any other inning in baseball.

Starting pitchers are vulnerable in the opening frame which is the only inning the offensive team is guaranteed to have its ideal hitters coming to the plate.

The fifth inning is the "action inning" where pitch counts are rising, lineups are turning over for a third time and managers face important decisions regarding bullpen use.

For handicappers who bet the first five innings, they realize the critical dynamics of baseball's middle inning.

And then there's the ninth inning where under bettors hope to survive only three outs, not six.

Gambling newbies mistakenly curse their "bad luck" when under bets lose in the eighth or ninth innings.

Astute gamblers realize that's usually the time when the game produces enough runs to clear the total.

FIVE OUTFIELDERS
...Baseball is a thinking man's sport.

So here's an angle the Ivy League-trained analytical minds who focus on defensive shifts have yet to employ.

We've all seen five infielders in the bottom of the ninth inning when the bases are loaded with no out and a force at home plate is in order.

Then what about five outfielders?

Hear me out.

Situation: Man on second, two outs in the late innings of a tie game.

Infielders implore one another to not allow a ground ball to sneak through the infield.

If that's the case, why not play five outfielders so a hard-hit single or bloop single, for that matter, will not score the run.

A short-centerfielder would hold the runner at second base while four other players would be positioned in shallow outfield spots to deny the baserunner from scoring on a single.

The unconventional strategy makes even more sense when considering the increased strikeout rate in the big leagues.

AND FINALLY...What's the bigger indignity: Being ignored in the States by American women or paying for a stress-relieving massage in Costa Rica where the masseuse uses one hand to rub the client while the other hand scrolls her Facebook feed?

Not that it has happened to me, of course.

Nooooo!

MrTop

EOG Master
Re: My Monday blog

JK, nice work on your Monday blog, as always.

The fifth outfielder could work but depends on the location of pitch and type/speed.

Grounders come in more than fly.

Where does everything else go?

The managers have all that data.

Is there a site that tells the location of every ball hit?

railbird

EOG Master

We played 5 outfielders in slow pitch softball, we held them to 3 runs an inning instead of 9.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I've seen Campbell's name on draw sheets over the years in senior events.

Thanks for checking in, Matt.

I believe both Campbell and John McEnroe are 59 years old.

Campbell turned me on to a nice facility near the BetCris offices called the Costa Rican Tennis Club.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

JK, nice work on your Monday blog, as always.

The fifth outfielder could work but depends on the location of pitch and type/speed.

Grounders come in more than fly.

Where does everything else go?

The managers have all that data.

Is there a site that tells the location of every ball hit?

Good notes, MrTop.

I'd start my research with Statcast.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Nice blog as always JK....you never know who you are going to run into traveling the World...I once boarded a plane in Costa Rica headed to LA....seated right next to me was Donald Southerland....an interesting guy who didn’t mind talking about the many movies he was in and about his son...

JK...you have to start making plans to travel the Far East...massages to die for.....

railbird

EOG Master

I'm a very good masseuse, better than you get in a poker room.

Most are bad, I tell my massage people to use 10 fingers at all times, if they have weak fingers you're in wrong job.

Most are scam artists.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Nice blog as always JK....you never know who you are going to run into traveling the World...I once boarded a plane in Costa Rica headed to LA....seated right next to me was Donald Southerland....an interesting guy who didn’t mind talking about the many movies he was in and about his son...

JK...you have to start making plans to travel the Far East...massages to die for.....

Hope to see you in late August, VD.

I remember when you told me you missed playing the races from your perch in Thailand.

After spending three months in Costa Rica, I now know what you were feeling.

There's nothing like a well-run Las Vegas racebook or better yet visiting a quality racetrack.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

I look for the kind of masseuse that can keep all ten fingers on me while saving a drowning kid off of Huntington Beach with her feet.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

I look for the kind of masseuse that can keep all ten fingers on me while saving a drowning kid off of Huntington Beach with her feet.

While reading the Bible and reciting the U.S. Constitution in its original form.

And going 4-2 on past posted plays.

Beat me to it, AA...

Damnit.

Excellent blog as always, JK. I look forward to clicking on this thread every Monday more than any other.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

JK....tons of basketball in Vegas this week....every college coach in the nation is in Vegas this week....

I don't care for the AAU circuit.

Can't bet it and it's the dirty part of a great game.

I wait until the high school kids get to college where I can profit off their performances.

Plus, the kids are still in their formative stages.

You might discover a future star but you can also easily get fooled by upgrading early-developers or downgrading late-bloomers.

Bizarre to watch a lot of AAU action where the kids are trying to show off their individual skills and teamwork takes a backseat.

I watched a few games last year at the Tarkanian Basketball Academy and the kids were not really concerned with winning or losing in what looked like a controlled scrimmage.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Can't bet it and it's the dirty part of a great game.

I wait until the high school kids get to college where I can profit off their performances.

Plus, the kids are still in their formative stages.

You might discover a future star but you can also easily get fooled by upgrading early-developers or downgrading late-bloomers.

Bizarre to watch a lot of AAU action where the kids are trying to show off their individual skills and teamwork takes a backseat.

I watched a few games last year at the Tarkanian Basketball Academy and the kids were not really concerned with winning or losing what looked like a controlled scrimmage.

Not to mention the I’ll get my buddies to make me look better than you and your buddies mentality. That mentality has permeated all the way to the NBA.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Your blog is the way I start my week. Very fine work JK, and always a great read! Hope you're doing well!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Don't forget another under deterrent, the position player pitching curse.

A real handicapping factor, especially in live wagering.

I've found some blowout games turn into "Home Run Derby" where the propensity for hitters swinging for the fence on every pitch becomes more pronounced.

brians

EOG Dedicated

I watched a few games last year at the Tarkanian Basketball Academy and the kids were not really concerned with winning or losing in what looked like a controlled scrimmage.

I took in some AAU hoop in Orlando a couple weeks ago, 14 years and under. The degradation of the game is in full bloom. I saw more coast-to-coast drives than a Winnebago. Forget the concept of making the extra pass, these kids don't even understand the concept of the first pass.

Take one look at who's wearing the polo shirts on the bench and you begin to understand why ... coaches who don't have a clue how to teach the game. They are motivators at best, not teachers in any way, shape or form. They are excuse makers who celebrate results more than effort. Zero accountability being taught ... to each other, their team or themselves.

Shame.