My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No trip to Chicago is complete without a visit to historic Wrigley Field.

First opened in 1914, "The Friendly Confines" (as Mr. Cub Ernie Banks liked to call it) is the second-oldest ballpark in Major League Baseball.

Fenway Park debuted in 1912.

Yesterday's journey to the near north side of Chicago sparked flashbacks to a more innocent time in life when my late father would haul his four young children to watch players like Banks, Billy Williams and Ron Santo, a trio of Hall-of-Famers whose likenesses are now bronzed outside the storied ballpark.

It was comforting to see the iconic red marquee over the main entrance on Clark and Addison still in place.

As are the ivy-covered brick walls inside the park, the only outfield walls in the big leagues without protective pads.

But the rest of Wrigley Field is newly-built, remodeled or under construction.

Wrigleyville has undergone major changes in recent years with new ownership -- The Ricketts family -- investing $750 million in park improvements after purchasing the team in 2009.

Previous Cub owners, The Wrigley family and Tribune Company, maintained the ballpark's original feel with no night games until 1988 and few structural changes, a situation which placated influential neighborhood committees and pleased baseball traditionalists.

Welcome to 2018 where a newly-opened boutique hotel named "The Zachary," located adjacent to the ballpark, charges $200-$600 per night, not including $55 parking fees on event days.

Food options have multiplied with traditional fast-food joints like Taco Bell and McDonald's now being overtaken by a high-priced Mexican restaurant and a higher-priced barbecue eatery.

Nothing much to report on the Cubs' four-game sweep of the hapless Reds.

The 2016 World Series champs are finding their groove as the final month of the regular season approaches.

Recent acquisitions like Cole Hamels and Daniel Murphy are providing the team an embarrassment of riches.

Kyle Hendricks, a poor man's Greg Maddux, went seven shutout innings on Sunday and allowed only two hits to lead the Cubs to an easy victory before a crowd of 40.000-plus.

At game's end, MLB's forfeit score of 9-0 was displayed on the iconic hand-operated centerfield scoreboard.

But let the record show: the Reds competed for nine innings despite the look of wanting to leave work early in a game which lasted only two hours and 36 minutes.

My favorite Sunday moment came during a visit with a gentleman on the corner of Waveland and Kenmore Avenues, a familiar location for those who watch Cub games on television.

The white man in his 40's was wearing a Rawlings glove and looking toward the sky during batting practice 90 minutes before first pitch.

His name is Dave Davison and he's better known as "Ballhawk Dave."

He's part of a larger group of mostly older white gentlemen who gather outside the left-field stands at Wrigley Field to catch home run balls which extend beyond the bleacher section.

Some see the group as a friendly, tight-knit fraternity while others don't understand their fascination and claim arrested development.

Either way, Dave cleared up for me questions surrounding Dave Kingman's legendary home run ball against the Phillies in 1979.

The wind was blowing out to left field that day and Kingman hit a ball which landed near the third house from the corner at 3705 Kenmore Street, an estimated 550 feet from home plate.

Dave Davison tells the rest of the story:

"A lot of people claim that's the longest home run in the history of Wrigley Field. But I saw Sammy Sosa hit a home run which landed a few feet farther than Kingman's shot."

Davison then pointed to a black sign beyond the property line at 3705 Kenmore.

"Kingman's home run was wind-aided. Sosa's home run had a different kind of help."

There are no bronze statues of Dave Kingman or Sammy Sosa outside Wrigley Field.

But to the small group of ballhawks on Waveland Avenue, the pair of home-run titans maintain mythological status.

Pickman Jones

EOG Dedicated
Good stuff JK.
my aunt and uncle are flying out this morning to catch a game there vs Mets. I think later in the week they are going to see Red Sox at White Sox. My aunt is a big Cubs fan.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
JK, went there two weeks ago and my experience was similar. I believe I also met Ballhawk Dave and he wanted $20 for an excellent condition used ball. He was upset when I said I could a new ball cheaper (by the dozen), Saw the Z Hotel and was impressed, but didn't realize that ti was $200 per night and UP. Ate at the high-priced Mexican restaurant; it was OK. Owner or manager said Rickets, who owns everything there, is a nice man.

My main gripe was $140 for two bleacher seats and that was a bit below cost. My event was a "premium game" between the Cubbies and the Nats. It was the Sunday night game matchup betw Hammels and Scherzer. My wife hates baseball so we left at the end of a dull 1-0 five innings so missed the walkoff ninth inning grand slam by an unknown Cubbie. I have two souvenirs: 1) my ticket stubs (couldn't figure out how to enter by phone) and 2) an empty $10 Cubs cup. I will say that the bleachers crowd is pretty upscale these days for obvious reasons.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I last was at Wrigley in early Sept 2009 (The first-ever MLB game I attended was at Wrigley when we lived in IL for the worst 18 months of my life and saw a few games there). Sat behind home plate. Our usher was in his 80s, or older. The area in front of our seats was partially filled by his............walker. He went on a break aroudn the 5th inning and we never saw him again. After the game a massive crowd was gathering behind home plate. It was for Rod Blagojevich. I got a pic with him and when he was done he said "Thanks for the kind wishes" - even though I never said a word and was glad to see him go away. His hair was as real as his sincerity.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Blagojevich is the fourth Illinois governor to be sentenced to federal prison.

Rod's jersey number is 40892-424.

Heim

EOG Master
Cubs had a second baseman who died in a airplane crash. I remember he was ROY. I think Beckett took over after his premature death. Kessinger at short?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Heim;n7452645 said:
Cubs had a second baseman who died in a airplane crash. I remember he was ROY. I think Beckett took over after his premature death. Kessinger at short?

Never saw him play but his name was Ken Hubbs.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
waco;n7452617 said:
I have been to Fenway but always want to visit Wrigley.

Just the opposite for me.

Hundreds of trips to Wrigley and I've yet to visit Fenway Park.

I've heard good and bad about Fenway Park.

Some call it a shrine, others not so kind.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Don Eagleston;n7452616 said:
JK, went there two weeks ago and my experience was similar. I believe I also met Ballhawk Dave and he wanted $20 for an excellent condition used ball. He was upset when I said I could a new ball cheaper (by the dozen), Saw the Z Hotel and was impressed, but didn't realize that ti was $200 per night and UP. Ate at the high-priced Mexican restaurant; it was OK. Owner or manager said Rickets, who owns everything there, is a nice man.

My main gripe was $140 for two bleacher seats and that was a bit below cost. My event was a "premium game" between the Cubbies and the Nats. It was the Sunday night game matchup betw Hammels and Scherzer. My wife hates baseball so we left at the end of a dull 1-0 five innings so missed the walkoff ninth inning grand slam by an unknown Cubbie. I have two souvenirs: 1) my ticket stubs (couldn't figure out how to enter by phone) and 2) an empty $10 Cubs cup. I will say that the bleachers crowd is pretty upscale these days for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the review, Don Eagleston.

David Bote's grand slam may have been the biggest Cub highlight of the season thus far.

Good point about the upscale bleacher crowd.

They were called bums back in the day.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Nice blog

just took my son to Camden Yards for the first time, promised him Fenway or Wrigley next summer, his choice. Would be my first trip to Wrigley also.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
John Kelly;n7452652 said:
Just the opposite for me.

Hundreds of trips to Wrigley and I've yet to visit Fenway Park.

I've heard good and bad about Fenway Park.

Some call it a shrine, others not so kind.

It's a dump but a historic dump. Seats behind home plate and in the area are very narrow. Place doesn't look like a ballpark from the outside. Food is betetr outside than inside. Whatever you do - DO NOT DRIVE TO THE GAME! Take the "T" - it drops you off right there and when the game ends getting away from the place is easy

I saw 3 games there in 1991. 1st game I got SRO seats for a Friday Night game between Clemens/Abbott https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199106140.shtml

2nd game was a day game when Carlos Quintana got 6 RBIs https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199107300.shtml

Regarding that 2nd game: It was a day game. I was at ESPN and Peter Gammons let us all know if he was unable to go to a game and we wanted his tix to let him know and he'd give it to us. I had the day of so I asked and he said hed give them to me. So I drove to the game with a fellow PA colleague. It was a hit and humid day so we wore shorts and a t-shirt. I get to Will Call and the woman there wanted nothing to do with me. If I had been on fire she wouldn't have even spit on me to help put it out. That is until she asked who left the tix for me. I tell her "Peter Gammons." In a nanosecond she went from someone who wanted me gone and out of her sight to someone who treated me like I was actually Peter Gammons. If I had asked her to give me a Blow Job right there she would have done so. She was nice and handed me the tix. Gammons seats are (were) right behind home plate but not together but rather 1 in front of another. Great view of the game.

3rd game: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199109030.shtml was this one and I can live to be 4,000 year-old and I will never forget the game. I got there early (also with Gammons' seats) and was around the Angels dugout when I started talking to some guy. He was there with his dauhgter. He was the AD at Marina HS - located in Huntington Beach - near where I lived. Started talking and he was there with his daughter, Landry, touring ballparks before school started. I wore some ESPN clothing so he asked if I worked there and I said I did. He said how he and his daughter watched ESPN and she was a fan of Dan Patrick and a few others. Game starts and we go our separate ways. But the next time back at work I saw Dan and a few others and had them sign pix for Landry and send then to Larry (father) at the HS. I recall DP wrote something like "Landry - you have a very famous name" (Because of Tom Landry.

Angels are leading 2-0 in B8 when Sox put runners on 1st and 2nd to start B8. Next guy up was a right handed batter. He falls behyind 0-2. I tell me friend if the batter swings at the next pitch he will strike out because the pitcher will throw a 58-footer. Sure enough the pitcher throws a 58-footer and sure enough the batter swings and strikes out. Angels bring in a lefty to face the next batter - a lefty, too. Strike 1 then Strike 2. I tell my friend if the batter swings at the next pitch he will strike out because the pitcher will put on in the right handed batter's box. Sure enough he does and sure enough the batter swings and misses.

Some 80+ y/o blue haired Garndma turns to me after the second K. She asks if I am a Red Sox fan? I tell her, "No, I am a baseball fan and............" She interrupts me and says something I will never forget, "Good, then Shut the Fuck Up!" Friends from the area tell me this sounds right.

B9 I am behind the screen and with my 35MM camera take the greatest pic I have ever talen with Ellis Burks at bat. I showed him the pic later when he played with the Rockies and his jaw dropped when he saw it. I asked if he wanted a copy of it and he said he did so I sent him one. If people want to see it I will try and post it here.

Fenway is an amazing place. In many ways.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
TobyTyler;n7452661 said:
Nice blog

just took my son to Camden Yards for the first time, promised him Fenway or Wrigley next summer, his choice. Would be my first trip to Wrigley also.

Camden Yards is one of the most beautiful ballparks in MLB.

The current Orioles team doesn't deserve to play there.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
winkyduck;n7452665 said:
It's a dump but a historic dump. Seats behind home plate and in the area are very narrow. Place doesn't look like a ballpark from the outside. Food is betetr outside than inside. Whatever you do - DO NOT DRIVE TO THE GAME! Take the "T" - it drops you off right there and when the game ends getting away from the place is easy

I saw 3 games there in 1991. 1st game I got SRO seats for a Friday Night game between Clemens/Abbott https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199106140.shtml

2nd game was a day game when Carlos Quintana got 6 RBIs https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199107300.shtml

Regarding that 2nd game: It was a day game. I was at ESPN and Peter Gammons let us all know if he was unable to go to a game and we wanted his tix to let him know and he'd give it to us. I had the day of so I asked and he said hed give them to me. So I drove to the game with a fellow PA colleague. It was a hit and humid day so we wore shorts and a t-shirt. I get to Will Call and the woman there wanted nothing to do with me. If I had been on fire she wouldn't have even spit on me to help put it out. That is until she asked who left the tix for me. I tell her "Peter Gammons." In a nanosecond she went from someone who wanted me gone and out of her sight to someone who treated me like I was actually Peter Gammons. If I had asked her to give me a Blow Job right there she would have done so. She was nice and handed me the tix. Gammons seats are (were) right behind home plate but not together but rather 1 in front of another. Great view of the game.

3rd game: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199109030.shtml was this one and I can live to be 4,000 year-old and I will never forget the game. I got there early (also with Gammons' seats) and was around the Angels dugout when I started talking to some guy. He was there with his dauhgter. He was the AD at Marina HS - located in Huntington Beach - near where I lived. Started talking and he was there with his daughter, Landry, touring ballparks before school started. I wore some ESPN clothing so he asked if I worked there and I said I did. He said how he and his daughter watched ESPN and she was a fan of Dan Patrick and a few others. Game starts and we go our separate ways. But the next time back at work I saw Dan and a few others and had them sign pix for Landry and send then to Larry (father) at the HS. I recall DP wrote something like "Landry - you have a very famous name" (Because of Tom Landry.

Angels are leading 2-0 in B8 when Sox put runners on 1st and 2nd to start B8. Next guy up was a right handed batter. He falls behyind 0-2. I tell me friend if the batter swings at the next pitch he will strike out because the pitcher will throw a 58-footer. Sure enough the pitcher throws a 58-footer and sure enough the batter swings and strikes out. Angels bring in a lefty to face the next batter - a lefty, too. Strike 1 then Strike 2. I tell my friend if the batter swings at the next pitch he will strike out because the pitcher will put on in the right handed batter's box. Sure enough he does and sure enough the batter swings and misses.

Some 80+ y/o blue haired Garndma turns to me after the second K. She asks if I am a Red Sox fan? I tell her, "No, I am a baseball fan and............" She interrupts me and says something I will never forget, "Good, then Shut the Fuck Up!" Friends from the area tell me this sounds right.

B9 I am behind the screen and with my 35MM camera take the greatest pic I have ever talen with Ellis Burks at bat. I showed him the pic later when he played with the Rockies and his jaw dropped when he saw it. I asked if he wanted a copy of it and he said he did so I sent him one. If people want to see it I will try and post it here.

Fenway is an amazing place. In many ways.

Thanks for the detailed review, Winky.

I'd love to see the shot of Ellis Burks.

And stay tuned for an announcement about a free NFL Survivor Pool here using your unique set of rules.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
This has to be n the team pic of longest WF homeruns.

https://youtu.be/7wDrw76ieTs

Spent many a day at WF, started in 1969. Used to go to the scheduled DH’s. Every Friday was ladies day back in the 70’s. Tribune Corp really tan the cubs into the ground at the end, they have to be crying when they see the park now.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
Nice write up JK, the only thing I dislike about Wrigley is driving down there, like Winky said, public transportation is best bet when visiting Wrigley or Fenway.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
ChiTownJoe;n7452716 said:
Nice write up JK, the only thing I dislike about Wrigley is driving down there, like Winky said, public transportation is best bet when visiting Wrigley or Fenway.

Great way to save money and hassle.

Public transportation to Wrigley Field via the "L" is the way to go.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Tim Patterson;n7452709 said:
Nice ballyard. Was there in 1998 for a game and then in 2011 for a four game series.
Hope to get back there again.

Your beloved Giants play at a beautiful ballpark, one of the best in the big leagues.

Thanks for checking in, Tim.

I've always loved the Giants' broadcasting crews.

The "Midnight Replay" on KNBR 680 booms across the western states.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Great stuff JK......old Tiger stadium debuted the same day as Fenway Park in 1912. The opening of Fenway park was delayed a day or so because of the sinking of the Titanic. I've been to one game in my life at Wrigley, and that was on July 4, 1985, when the Cubs hosted SF, and lost 6-4. I had to look up score, I knew the Cubs lost that day, but didn't remember the score, lol.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN198507040.shtml

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
FairWarning;n7452703 said:
This has to be n the team pic of longest WF homeruns.

https://youtu.be/7wDrw76ieTs

Spent many a day at WF, started in 1969. Used to go to the scheduled DH’s. Every Friday was ladies day back in the 70’s. Tribune Corp really tan the cubs into the ground at the end, they have to be crying when they see the park now.

Glenallen Hill's home run was estimated at 500 feet.

It is the only ball ever hit on top of the five-story building at 1032 W. Waveland Avenue.

The Cubs lost that day to the Brewers, 14-8.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
mrbowling300;n7452723 said:
Great stuff JK......old Tiger stadium debuted the same day as Fenway Park in 1912. The opening of Fenway park was delayed a day or so because of the sinking of the Titanic. I've been to one game in my life at Wrigley, and that was on July 4, 1985, when the Cubs hosted SF, and lost 6-4. I had to look up score, I knew the Cubs lost that day, but didn't remember the score, lol.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN198507040.shtml

Thanks for checking in, Keith.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
blueline;n7452728 said:
Only $5 to park at Lawrence L station..painless in and out of Wrigley

A public transportation tip from "BLUELINE."

Makes sense.

Or is "BLUELINE" a hockey reference?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
John Kelly;n7452699 said:
Thanks for the detailed review, Winky.

I'd love to see the shot of Ellis Burks.

And stay tuned for an announcement about a free NFL Survivor Pool here using your unique set of rules.

...................and anyone who thinks it is just as easy as the "normal" way will soon find out - IT IS NOT! It doesn't sound like it would be harder but it is. BY A LOT!