My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Greetings from Del Mar, California where I'll be attending today's closing-day card at the seaside oval.

I've secured four seats in the prestigious Turf Club.

After yesterday's chaotic happenings at Del Mar racetrack, I'll be requesting a table in the non-shooting section.

Get it?

The non-shooting section.

Did you hear what happened yesterday at Del Mar?

A gunman was shot shortly after 6:30 p.m. by a female sheriff's deputy after he opened fire in a crowded area outside the racetrack's main entrance.

The gunfire broke out after the crazed man was told tickets were not available for a post-race concert featuring Ice Cube.

The suspect, a 22-year-old Escondido man, is currently listed in stable condition at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla.

No one else was injured in the incident which escalated quickly from a shouting match to a shoving match to a shoutout.

TVG host Mike Joyce could be heard frantically crying out three times, "Gunfire at the track!" following the live presentation of the day's final race.

EOG contributor Mr. Pink attended the races on Sunday and left after the seventh race.

He could feel trouble in the air as a sketchy concert crowd descended on the usually-peaceful setting.

It was merely coincidental the gun shots rang out during the stretch run of the day's final race.

THE DAMN TAKEOUT....I curse the takeout every time I lose money at the track.

Handicapping the races is a fabulous intellectual pursuit but carries a tax that attracts mostly suckers.

Horseplayers are separated from their money to the tune of $2.5 million every racing day at Del Mar.

The formula to compute the losses is simple: Take one-fifth of the average daily handle which last summer exceeded $12.5 million.

Horseplayers are subjected to a tax (20%) more than four times the amount levied on sports bettors (4.5%), making losers of virtually everyone in the grandstand and clubhouse.

Optimistic gamblers see things differently.

They view $10 million changing hands daily and look to grab a small slice of a large pie.

I've discussed handicapping theory with some of the game's most celebrated horseplayers like Andy Beyer, Steven Crist, Steve Davidowitz, James Quinn and Tom Brohamer.

While Crist is the sharpest gambler of the group, I'm convinced most of the recognized authorities in the game struggle like everyone else.

I'll never forget a conversation with Bill Finley, an East Coast-based handicapper who authored a book titled "Betting Synthetic Surfaces: Conquering Racing's Newest Frontier."

Finley makes money selling his opinions to newspapers, websites and other media outlets willing to pay him.

In preparation for our 30-minute chat, I thoroughly researched Finley's work.

One dedicated East Coast gambler criticized Finley's talent by telling me, "He can't pick winners on the dirt or the turf and now he wants to lecture the masses on synthetic tracks?"

I decided a simple, straightforward question to open the interview was the proper approach.

After a polite introduction and an obligatory plug of his book, I shot into action.

"Bill Finley, are you a winning horseplayer?"

His response shocked me.

"No," he said flatly and did not elaborate.

The interview went downhill from there.

I honestly cannot remember a word he said after his initial response.

After the interview, I gave Finley high marks for honesty but a failing grade as a gambling authority.

I'm accustomed to public handicappers either representing themselves as winning gamblers or stating they are at least break-even players.

Sometimes, fiction is better than the truth.

MONDAY'S BEST BET...Play 963-964 San Diego Padres-Arizona Diamondbacks UNDER 9 runs (-115) widely available.

railbird

EOG Master
A ticket scalper could have saved the shooters life by providing a ticket, in my scalping hey day I avoided rap shows, it always brought out undercovers and I didn't trust the clientele

railbird

EOG Master
I like an idea in horse racing, have odd horses vs even and make a 20 cent line. I do that at the poker table and book the action, if you ask for odds you must wager is the deal, 50 min, 100 max, im up small doing that

Brayden11

EOG Dedicated
railbird;n7453445 said:
A ticket scalper could have saved the shooters life by providing a ticket, in my scalping hey day I avoided rap shows, it always brought out undercovers and I didn't trust the clientele

Is this an attempt at humor or are you being serious? Ticket scalpers and lifeguards, the 2 most respected careers in Railbirds disturbed mind.

Heim

EOG Master
When TVG first mentioned Ice Cube to perform after the races I thought they were kidding....why would they want to bring original gangsters from downtown San Diego into Del Mar?

Pickman Jones

EOG Dedicated
I like the Monday blog.

I don't know why this guy got so fired up about not seeing Ice Cube. he hasn't had any good music since like 1993. he does movie and tv shit now. now Eddy Baker or Chilly Sosa I could see getting pissed about not seeing.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Hello JK....I am on the other side of the coast today....in The Big Apple until football starts on Thursday night...I have the under in the game between Philly and Atlanta....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Viejo Dinosaur;n7453463 said:
Hello JK....I am on the other side of the coast today....in The Big Apple until football starts on Thursday night...I have the under in the game between Philly and Atlanta....

We're like ships in the night.

I have no action on the NFL opener but I'll root you home nonetheless.

I saw CGT opened the total 47, now 45.

When and where did you jump in?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Pickman Jones;n7453458 said:
I like the Monday blog.

I don't know why this guy got so fired up about not seeing Ice Cube. he hasn't had any good music since like 1993. he does movie and tv shit now. now Eddy Baker or Chilly Sosa I could see getting pissed about not seeing.

Thanks for checking in, PJ.

M.C. Hammer was a big horse racing guy back in the guy.

He used to visit the racetrack with a suitcase of money, literally.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Heim;n7453451 said:
When TVG first mentioned Ice Cube to perform after the races I thought they were kidding....why would they want to bring original gangsters from downtown San Diego into Del Mar?

So much for an upcoming fall promotion at Del Mar targeted to the Crips and Bloods.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Brayden11;n7453448 said:
Is this an attempt at humor or are you being serious? Ticket scalpers and lifeguards, the 2 most respected careers in Railbirds disturbed mind.

Add "Railbird's disturbed mind" to my EOG glossary.

But please note: Matt Hatfield is a great guy.

I'll be here all week.

kane

EOG master
John Kelly;n7453471 said:
Add "Railbird's disturbed mind" to my EOG glossary.

But please note: Matt Hatfield is racist, scumbag, past posting pos

I'll be here all week.

FYP John

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Interesting note about the Del Mar Futurity: Roadster closed as the 7/10 favorite while Game Winner was the 8/5 second choice.

In the final two minutes of wagering, more money was bet on Game Winner than Roadster in the win pool.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
18-12.....easy winner......Game never came near the total.....especially when the Eagles made the goal line stand in the first quarter....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Viejo Dinosaur;n7454020 said:
18-12.....easy winner......Game never came near the total.....especially when the Eagles made the goal line stand in the first quarter....

Great call, VD.

Nearly jumped in at UNDER 41.5 in live wagering after Philly stoned Atlanta at the goal line on the game's first possession.

#Gunshy