My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Just like a boxer finds his gym or a runner finds his track, a basketball player needs to find his court.

Easier said than done here in San Jose, Costa Rica where soccer fields outnumber basketball courts at least 50-1.

Outdoor basketball courts in public parks are poorly-maintained by the powers-that-be in Costa Rica, leaving hoop courts in bad shape with holes and craters in the blacktop, bent rims, no nets or otherwise unplayable conditions.

Like most countries of the world, Costa Rica is a soccer-first nation.

The sport of basketball battles cycling, tennis, surfing and combat sports to become the country's "second sport."

The best indoor hoop facility in San Jose is available at the Costa Rica Tennis Club, a facility across the street from La Sabana Park and within walking distance of National Stadium.

Josh Erickson, former head coach of the men's national team in Costa Rica, recently talked about the challenges of promoting basketball in a soccer-crazy environment.

"Resources are the biggest challenge," Erickson said.

"The basketball leagues here are semi-professional so it's rare to see elite basketball players stay and play in Costa Rica."

"A star player may receive a small stipend or possibly room and board, but he's not going to be able to make a career out of basketball."

"My advice to Costa Rican teenagers with basketball talent is to travel to the United States where they can compete against elite talent and world-class speed at an early age."

Erickson continued, "Our national team is comparable to a mid-level college basketball program in the States."

"Think George Mason or New Mexico," he said.

Interesting to note, current New Mexico head basketball coach Paul Weir served as an assistant coach to the Costa Rica men's national team just three years ago.

A SHOT TO THE HEART...Indiana freshman guard Rob Phinisee launched a buzzer-beating, 35-foot shot that hit nothing but net last Saturday to give the Hoosiers yet another narrow win this season.

The unsuspecting victim was in-state rival Butler at the Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis.

Phinisee's dramatic shot devastated Butler supporters, both fans and gamblers alike.

Butler did everything right on the final play, denying IU stars Romeo Langford and Juwan Morgan from touching the ball, only to have a little-known freshman drain the game-winner.

For those who took Butler +2, it was a tough loss to stomach considering Indiana was never clear of the number until the sound of the buzzer.

Indiana's largest lead of the game was the final score, 71-68.

The Hoosiers have now won four straight games by a combined margin of only eight points.

IU head coach Archie Miller, a devoted follower of basketball analytics, is a definite improvement over predecessors Tom Crean, Kelvin Sampson and Mike Davis.

IF I WERE A BOOKMAKER...I would employ Ken Pomeroy's model to project won-loss records and then offer conference win totals for all 351 Division I college basketball teams.

Not only would I offer the wager in November and December before conference play begins in earnest, but also I would update the win totals every night to give players a crack at the wager in January and February.

The unique offering would attract attention from professional and recreational players while creating publicity for the creative proposition.

At the onset, I would require players lay -115 each way until recording a proven record of bookmaking success and then dropping the price to the more standard -110.

LESSON LEARNED....A friend recently asked about the greatest lesson learned after 30 years of trying to gamble and win in the sports books of Nevada.

Easy answer.

Like the disclaimer displayed on your rear-view mirror (Objects in mirror are closer than they appear), the house edge of 11/10 (4.54%) is larger than it appears.

It makes sense because only a small percentage of players in the sports betting universe are able to profit over time.

EOG contributor ComptrBob recently offered an interesting point about his challenge to find edges in the sports betting marketplace.

Bob earned a Master's Degree in aeronautical engineering before enjoying a wildly-successful career in computer programming.

Bob claims successful sports betting is the biggest challenge of his three-pronged professional career, tougher than calculating orbital velocities or cracking the most sophisticated computer code.

MONDAY'S BEST BET...Play 538 Houston Rockets -5 (-110) over the Utah Jazz at BetDSI.

Third meeting of the season between the Jazz and Rockets after Utah won the first two meetings by a combined 38 points.

Enough is enough.

Granted, the Rockets are one of the biggest disappointments over the first two months of the season, having lost 14 games already this season after losing 17 all of last season.

However, they've shown signs of life over the past week, winning and covering three straight games with James Harden recording back-to-back triple-doubles.

The Rockets catch the Jazz off a poor performance last Saturday afternoon in Mexico City against the Orlando Magic.

I typically bet well-schooled teams like the Jazz over the Rockets, however the spot tonight screams Houston.

Lay the price.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
MONDAY'S BEST BET...Play 538 Houston Rockets -5 (-110) over the Utah Jazz at BetDSI.

Third meeting of the season between the Jazz and Rockets after Utah won the first two meetings by a combined 38 points.

Enough is enough.

Granted, the Rockets are one of the biggest disappointments over the first two months of the season, having lost 14 games already this season after losing 17 all of last season.

However, they've shown signs of life over the past week, winning and covering three straight games with James Harden recording back-to-back triple-doubles.

The Rockets catch the Jazz off a poor performance last Saturday afternoon in Mexico City against the Orlando Magic.

I typically bet well-schooled teams like the Jazz over the Rockets, however the spot tonight screams Houston.

Lay the price.

Might wanna look at Under 213.5, too. Jazz might still be gassed from Mexico City and want to slow the pace down to make up for a lack if energy. After playing in Mexico on Saturday if the Jazz wanna run up and down the court they might lose by 30+. I don't see how they can stay in the game unless they shorten the game and if they do that we might not even make 200

Heim

EOG Master
I've become a Kelvin Sampson fan. Cougars might be the worst undefeated team in the nation but they find ways to win. I just hope his kids are going to class.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Might wanna look at Under 213.5, too. Jazz might still be gassed from Mexico City and want to slow the pace down to make up for a lack if energy. After playing in Mexico on Saturday if the Jazz wanna run up and down the court they might lose by 30+. I don't see how they can stay in the game unless they shorten the game and if they do that we might not even make 200

I hear ya, Winky.

Houston has averaged only 90 points per game against the Jazz this season.

I think they break out tomorrow night.

Though the Rockets are not the same team without Trevor Ariza.

They also miss the offense of Ryan Anderson and the defense of Luc Mbah a Moute.

railbird

EOG Master
There is less pick up basketball everywhere, mile square park in fountain valley once had 100-150 ballers on sat mornings, now less than 10 usually

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
There is less pick up basketball everywhere, mile square park in fountain valley once had 100-150 ballers on sat mornings, now less than 10 usually

Edison is also down. Laguna Beach is still busy mostly because of location and only 1 court. You could put together a damn good team at most levels (HS, College and Pro) from people who played at MSP in Fountain Valley over the years. Last time I played was July 2011. I rolled my ankle so bad it hurt until January. I can't afford to get hurt and miss basketball..........saying that now with my Sciatica bothering me, making it hard to walk and having to give back my entire HS schedule so far and making the possibility very realistic I will be forced to msis the entire season. The pain in my body is only exceeded by the pain of the money lost - a full year's worth of car payments in 2.5 months! THAT is what hurts the most

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

A reflection of the changing demographics in Fountain Valley.

In my old neighborhood of Calumet City, Illinois, a lot of young kids were involved in Little League Baseball in the 1970's and '80's.

Now, the neighborhood has seen an influx of African-American families and the young black kids ignore the baseball fields at Downey Park.

They're seen shooting hoops and playing football in the park.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
A reflection of the changing demographics in Fountain Valley.

In my old neighborhood of Calumet City, Illinois, a lot of young kids were involved in Little League Baseball in the 1970's and '80's.

Now, the neighborhood has seen an influx of African-American families and the young black kids ignore the baseball fields at Downey Park.

They're seen shooting hoops and playing football in the park.

When Rail and I went to FVHS our football team was damn good. FV is now mostly Asian. Not that it is a bad thing but trying to play Varsity football with kids who are smaller and about 75 pounds lighter than the other team is not good. 20+ years from now these Asians will be productive members of society but they are not football players. Our games against our "rival" Edison are nothing more than "Christians vs the Lions" - with different color jerseys. We've lost a good 12-15 straight and most by 30+

MrTop

EOG Master
What JK said about CB's claims earlier in the thread puts me closer to quit betting.

I have been spinning wheels lately.

Meanwhile I have Carolina on the back end of a teaser tonight

:)

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Back in the late 70s the Laguna Beach courts ran non stop from sunrise to sunset....Billy Paultz and Goorjian owned the competition...

Heim

EOG Master
Back in the late 70s the Laguna Beach courts ran non stop from sunrise to sunset....Billy Paultz and Goorjian owned the competition...

yes...Paultz was at Laguna every weekend off-season I know because I ran a couple of games with him and Londale Theus (Santa Clara).....I also had the fortune of being on the same team with Swen Nater at Cypress College a few times in the summer. You don't realize how big those guys are until you see them in person.

I'm amazed you knew the 'Whopper' was down there....

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
yes...Paultz was at Laguna every weekend off-season I know because I ran a couple of games with him and Londale Theus (Santa Clara).....I also had the fortune of being on the same team with Swen Nater at Cypress College a few times in the summer. You don't realize how big those guys are until you see them in person.

I was stationed at El Toro my last couple years in the service and played down there numerous times, even when I got out in late 78....also played at the Fountain Valley Gym....Billy was very friendly with everyone down there....you and I probably crossed paths during those times...

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Heim, no offense but I didn’t think you were that old. The Whopper was a great nickname.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Houston -1.5 1Q
Houston -3 1h

Dead legs for Utah and the great Mexican food from their trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Great story and good insight.

Television doesn't properly portray the sheer size and awesome strength of NBA players.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I hear ya, Winky.

Houston has averaged only 90 points per game against the Jazz this season.

I think they break out tomorrow night.

Though the Rockets are not the same team without Trevor Ariza.

They also miss the offense of Ryan Anderson and the defense of Luc Mbah a Moute.

199 - Under by 13

Bigrunner

EOG Master
Heim, no offense but I didn’t think you were that old. The Whopper was a great nickname.

High school days. After my junior year my high school closes. I have to go to a new school senior year. A much bigger school. I was a stranger to the basketball team/program. I merged in with the team. At the beginning of the season I was second string center. One day in practice early in the season my new teammates started calling me the Whopper. Around game 5 they would tell the coach "put Whopper in". By game 6 I became the starting center.

Yes my new teammates nicknamed me the Whopper after Billy Paultz. A tall big bodied white guy with dark brown hair and a long slow lumbering stride up and down the court. I was the "Whopper". True story

Last edited: