My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
It's hard to follow NBA games in March.

And the reason is simple.

Compared to their college counterparts, NBA players are on cruise control right now, merely counting the days until their interminable 82-game odyssey ends April 10.

Sixteen of the league's 30 teams will qualify for the postseason while the other 14 will participate in the all-important NBA Draft Lottery, aka "The Zion Sweepstakes," in mid-May.

Half the teams appear to be resting for the postseason and the other half look more interested in losing than winning.

Kawhi Leonard was a healthy scratch the other day with Toronto's management citing "load management."

Teammate Kyle Lowry was "nursing" a sore ankle (wink, wink) when he missed yesterday's game in Detroit, a 110-107 loss to the Pistons.

Knowing who's in and who's out for an NBA game is essential, but knowing who's trying and who's not is mandatory.

The current league structure means no NBA contest in March is a life-or-death affair.

College hoops this month, on the other hand, is a do-or-die situation with every game seemingly an elimination game.

The college kids put forth "max effort" nightly and their all-out play is not lost on serious handicappers who feel the college product offers a greater gambling advantage than nonchalant NBA action.

This is not to say one cannot appreciate world-class athletes competing in the NBA, the highest level of the game.

The exclusive NBA fraternity is comprised of 450 players compared to more than 5,000 Division I hoopsters.

A big difference between the pro game and college game is shooting accuracy.

Show me an open NBA shooter 15 feet from the basket and I'll show you a two-point basket.

The college game does not feature many dead-eye shooters despite sporting more than 10 times the number of players.

The age-old exchange between college coach and college player quickly comes to mind.

"Coach, I was wide open from the right elbow. I had to take the shot."

"Son, you are open for a reason."

The college game also lacks the freakish athleticism displayed nightly in the NBA.

Low D-1 players are closer in talent to a star high school player than an NBA benchwarmer.

It's hard to find a complete player in the MEAC or SWAC or NEC or MAAC.

Shooters who cannot defend and defenders who cannot shoot pollute those leagues.

Meantime, the NBA features a perfect blend of superstar players and specialty players in a free-wheeling, entertaining style designed to attract television viewers and thus drive television revenue.

Pro basketball versus college basketball, it's the same sport but a different game.

And gamblers must be aware of the differences.

PAC-12 STRUGGLES.....Much has been written about the miserable season for Pac-12 basketball tarnished by lame television deals, sagging attendance figures and probing FBI investigations.

But here's a disappointing number you will not see anywhere else.

A 24-ounce Bud or Bud Light at T-Mobile Arena during the Pac-12 Tournament was priced at $15.

That's the definition of gouging and just one of the many reasons the stands were more than half-empty for the four-day event.

MORE EMPTY STANDS...Marvin Menzies is unemployed.

The former UNLV head coach will receive $800,000 next season as part of a four-year deal that was cut short by athletic director Desiree Reid-Francois.

The Runnin' Rebels rarely played smart basketball over the past three seasons and at times did not play hard when late-season dissension arrived in the locker room.

The front-running Menzies often referred to his UNLV team as "they" when his squad lost and "we" when his squad won.

Cavernous Thomas & Mack Center played a part in Menzies departure.

A crowd of 4,000 appears much smaller in a massive arena that holds 18,000-plus.

College basketball is a business, first and foremost, and Menzies was fired because drawing fans to the arena is a critical part of the job.

Menzies was 48-48 over the past three seasons but only 23-31 in the weak Mountain West.

Two other factors worked against Menzies: 1) The Vegas Golden Knights stole all the headlines and attracted plenty of sports enthusiasts last season with an historic inaugural season and 2) As Menzies floundered at UNLV, rival head coach Eric Musselman was working his magic in Reno.

Additionally, the basketball program Menzies left to come to UNLV, New Mexico State, never missed a beat without his services.

More food for thought.

Well-placed sources inside the UNLV program say former Ohio State head coach Thad Matta will be announced as Menzies's replacement later this week.

MY UNIQUE TITLE SELECTIONS.....I can name the national champion using only two teams.

You can have the other 66 tournament squads.

Give me Virginia and the team that beats Virginia.

I envision UVA on a redemption tour following last season's embarrassing first-round loss to Maryland-Baltimore County.

The Cavs had a chance to compete against the Blue Devils and Tar Heels this season in ACC competition while finishing atop Ken Pomeroy's efficiency model with points to spare.

CATCHING UP.....My first week back in Las Vegas was highlighted by the following events: a lunch date with sharp sports bettor ALLDAYCAPPER, attending a basketball game with David Dineen and FLIPPER, watching Dink's entertaining wrestling promotion alongside EOG contributor BOMZEE, enjoying breakfast with Steve McLaughlin, Jim Jacobs, Freddie Keck and Alf Musketa and feasting on a prime rib dinner with the venerable Bobby "The Owl" Beghtel.

I would not be doing my job if I did not pick Bobby's brain for his top plays in the upcoming college hoop tournaments.

Bobby gave me two plays last night.

He said to bet Colorado as a short home favorite against Dayton in an NIT game scheduled for Tuesday and bet against Bradley in a first-round NCAA tournament game scheduled for Thursday against powerful Michigan State (-18).

The betting numbers are as follows: 692 Colorado and 776 Michigan State.

This week, I hope to visit with Ron Boyles (aka SKINNY), Frank Betti (aka VOODOO), FORESTHILL, EJD5227, BUSHAY, SHERWOOD, BRIANS, CHITOWNJOE and SPORTY.

Last edited:

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
There is a reason why you are open......great line.....

Enjoy the games with so many good posters ....and thank the Owl for his two selections...

Thanks for your thoughts JK....

lastyle7

EOG Veteran
Wow that Bud price is worse than $17.50 for a burger and fries at LAX.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heim

EOG Master
Menzies had a good gig at NMST with decent pay. He should have stayed. Vegas was not even a lateral move. Vegas
tarnished his resume, he probably couldn't get the Irvine job when Turner leaves for Wazzo. Matta, if true, is Lon Kruger
re-visited.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
It's hard to follow NBA games in March.

And the reason is simple.

Compared to their college counterparts, NBA players are on cruise control right now, merely counting the days until their interminable 82-game odyssey ends April 10.

Sixteen of the league's 30 teams will qualify for the postseason while the other 14 will participate in the all-important NBA Draft Lottery, aka "The Zion Sweepstakes," in mid-May.

Half the teams appear to be resting for the postseason and the other half look more interested in losing than winning.

Kawhi Leonard was a healthy scratch the other day with Toronto's management citing "load management."

Teammate Kyle Lowry was "nursing" a sore ankle (wink, wink) when he missed yesterday's game in Detroit, a 110-107 loss to the Pistons.

Knowing who's in and who's out for an NBA game is essential, but knowing who's trying and who's not is mandatory.

The current league structure means no NBA contest in March is a life-or-death affair.

College hoops this month, on the other hand, is a do-or-die situation with every game seemingly an elimination game.

The college kids put forth "max effort" nightly and their all-out play is not lost on serious handicappers who feel the college product offers a greater gambling advantage than nonchalant NBA action.

This is not to say one cannot appreciate world-class athletes competing in the NBA, the highest level of the game.

The exclusive NBA fraternity is comprised of 450 players compared to more than 5,000 Division I hoopsters.

A big difference between the pro game and college game is shooting accuracy.

Show me an open NBA shooter 15 feet from the basket and I'll show you a two-point basket.

The college game does not feature many dead-eye shooters despite sporting 10 times the number of players.

The age-old exchange between college coach and college player quickly comes to mind.

"Coach, I was wide open from the right elbow. I had to take the shot."

"Son, you are open for a reason."

The college game also lacks the freakish athleticism displayed nightly in the NBA.

Low D-1 players are closer in talent to a star high school player than an NBA benchwarmer.

It's hard to find a complete player in the MEAC or SWAC or NEC or MAAC.

Shooters who cannot defend and defenders who cannot shoot pollute those leagues.

Meantime, the NBA features a perfect blend of superstar players and specialty players in a free-wheeling, entertaining style designed to attract television viewers and thus drive television revenue.

Pro basketball versus college basketball, it's the same sport but a different game.

And gamblers must be aware of the differences.

PAC-12 STRUGGLES.....Much has been written about the miserable season for Pac-12 basketball tarnished by lame television deals, sagging attendance figures and probing FBI investigations.

But here's a disappointing number you will not see anywhere else.

A 24-ounce Bud or Bud Light at T-Mobile Arena during the Pac-12 Tournament was priced at $15.

That's the definition of gouging and just one of the many reasons the stands were more than half-empty for the four-day event.

MORE EMPTY STANDS...Marvin Menzies is unemployed.

The former UNLV head coach will receive $800,000 next season as part of a four-year deal that was cut short by athletic director Desiree Reid-Francois.

The Runnin' Rebels rarely played smart basketball over the past three seasons and at times did not play hard when late-season dissension arrived in the locker room.

The front-running Menzies often referred to his UNLV team as "they" when his squad lost and "we" when his squad won.

Cavernous Thomas & Mack Center played a part in Menzies departure.

A crowd of 4,000 appears much smaller in a massive arena that holds 18,000-plus.

College basketball is a business, first and foremost, and Menzies was fired because drawing fans to the arena is a critical part of the job.

Menzies was 48-48 over the past three seasons but only 23-31 in the weak Mountain West.

Two other factors worked against Menzies: 1) The Vegas Golden Knights stole all the headlines and plenty of sports enthusiasts last season with an historic inaugural season and 2) As Menzies floundered at UNLV, rival head coach Eric Musselman was working his magic in Reno.

Additionally, the basketball program Menzies left to come to UNLV, New Mexico State, never missed a beat without his services.

More food for thought.

Well-placed sources inside the UNLV program say former Ohio State head coach Thad Matta will be announced as Menzies's replacement later this week.

MY UNIQUE TITLE SELECTIONS.....I can name the national champion using only two teams.

You can have the other 66 tournament squads.

Give me Virginia and the team that beats Virginia.

I envision UVA on a redemption tour following last season's embarrassing first-round loss to Maryland-Baltimore County.

The Cavs had a chance to compete against the Blue Devils and Tar Heels this season in ACC competition while finishing atop Ken Pomeroy's efficiency model with points to spare.

CATCHING UP.....My first week back in Las Vegas was highlighted by dining with sharp sports bettor ALLDAYCAPPER, attending a basketball game with David Dineen and FLIPPER, watching Dink's entertaining wrestling promotion alongside EOG contributor BOMZEE, enjoying breakfast with Steve MacLaughlin, Jim Jacobs, Freddie Keck and Alf Musketa and feasting on a prime rib dinner with the venerable Bobby "The Owl" Beghtel.

I would not be doing my job if I did not pick Bobby's brain for his top plays in the upcoming college hoop tournaments.

Bobby gave me two plays last night.

He said to bet on Colorado as a short home favorite against Dayton in an NIT game scheduled for Tuesday and bet against Bradley in a first-round NCAA tournament game scheduled for Thursday against powerful Michigan State (-18).

The betting numbers are as follows: 692 Colorado and 776 Michigan State.

This week, I hope to visit with Ron Boyles (aka SKINNY), Frank Betti (aka VOODOO), FORESTHILL, EJD5227, BUSHAY, SHERWOOD, BRIANS, CHITOWNJOE and SPORTY.

There were three conferences I was fading, glad he mentioned Bradley because the MVC was one. The Horizon and Big West have been awful in the big dance also

Bushay

NHL Expert
I'm sorry to say, I told you we were coming for March Madness John. We had a NItro tv Resellers bash set up. We had rooms set for the MGM Grand but it never materialized. Makeup trip is set for October for the 1st game of the World Series like I used to come out every year for. Looking forward to seeing you then. I hear March Madness isn't the best time to come anyway if your older and not looking to burn that candle at both ends anymore. I'm a bit disappointed as well. I miss those yearly trips to Sin City. Have not been out in 6-7 years now and it was getting pretty rough last few years I was there. Hopefully, things improved, but my hopes aren't very high on that. Reading Sportys Blog, sure doesn't sound like the Vegas I knew and loved. I long for the Little Ceasers, Barbary Coast, Stardust days but still at 60 now can adapt when I need to.

Mebbe they should just show reruns of the glory days with Tark . . . more entertaining, less futile. Possibly even more folks in the stands.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'm sorry to say, I told you we were coming for March Madness John. We had a NItro tv Resellers bash set up. We had rooms set for the MGM Grand but it never materialized. Makeup trip is set for October for the 1st game of the World Series like I used to come out every year for. Looking forward to seeing you then. I hear March Madness isn't the best time to come anyway if your older and not looking to burn that candle at both ends anymore. I'm a bit disappointed as well. I miss those yearly trips to Sin City. Have not been out in 6-7 years now and it was getting pretty rough last few years I was there. Hopefully, things improved, but my hopes aren't very high on that. Reading Sportys Blog, sure doesn't sound like the Vegas I knew and loved. I long for the Little Ceasers, Barbary Coast, Stardust days but still at 60 now can adapt when I need to.

No worries, Bushay.

I'll see you in Las Vegas this October.

Eager to meet up.

puckhandler

EOG Dedicated
Every tout is on Colorado. I don't know much about this game but one thing I do know is that when every tout is on one side the other team covers. The mushing powers of touts will be in full force tonight.

Good read as usual John.

alldaycapper

EOG Veteran
Can't play an NBA game until almost tip off to see who is playing. I'm actually playing a lot more in game or 2h wagers than full games.

The Suns last night didn't show up. So many guys out too. Might be one of the few bets I've made before tip. Won't be making that mistake again.