My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I decided at an early age to consume sports from a gambling perspective.

The decision was easy.

As a young teen, I watched Chicagoans in the 1970s cheer loudly for the Bears and Cubs with few rewards to show for their loyalty.

Generations of fans would be frustrated and heartbroken by the on-field results of their favorite sports teams in the Windy City.

The off-field moves and transactions by greedy ownership and misguided management contributed to the failing seasons.

The Bears did not strike gold until the mid-1980s.

Dedicated Bears fans, the largest and most avid bloc of fans in the city, childishly relive the 1985 NFL season and the silly Super Bowl shuffle video to this day.

Hard to believe, it has been 37 years since the late Buddy Ryan's dominating defense ruled the league.

The sorry Bears are favored to lose 10 or more games this season.

The Cubs famously won the World Series in 2016, ending the longest championship drought (108 years) in North American professional sports.

The Cubs magically transformed from lovable losers to national heroes and now quickly back to also-rans.

Not long ago, the Cubs were on the top of the baseball world and today, the team is in the cellar of the National League Central looking up at the woeful Pittsburgh Pirates, a franchise that once suffered through 20 consecutive losing seasons (1993-2012).

It's hard to listen to Cub player-turned-manager David Ross explain his team's odyssey.

Ross recently confessed to giving his young hitters some tough at-bats over the next two months, instead of inserting a more capable pinch-hitter, or allowing his young relievers to wiggle out of high-leverage situations when the game otherwise would dictate a pitching change.

It's called learning on the job and it's the dirty little secret of rebuilding teams.

The following strategy is employed by many professional sports teams: Intentionally field non-competitive teams to save resources and take advantage of league rules that benefit losers.

A year ago, the Cubs traded away Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant and Javy Baez and replaced the trio of 2016 World Series stars with marginal big-leaguers Rafael Ortega, Patrick Wisdom and Frank Schwindel.

And yet to take a family of four to Wrigley Field this season with parking fees, four hot dogs, four soft drinks, two beers and a pair of souvenir hats costs more than $360, according to Team Marketing Report, a company which disseminates sports marketing information.

Only the Boston Red Sox charge more to attend a game.

The Ricketts family bought the Cubs from the Tribune Corporation in 2009 for the bargain price of $845 million.

Forbes now values the Cub franchise at $3.8 billion, fourth-highest in Major League Baseball behind only the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox, in that order.

Hard to argue with the Ricketts' shrewd investment, but I refuse to contribute directly to the team's bottom line.

I refuse to pay $40 for an outfield bleacher seat or absorb the obnoxious price of $75 for a close-up parking spot at Wrigley Field.

Last Friday night, I attended an independent league baseball game in Whiting, Indiana.

There was no big-league talent on the field, but the college-aged players gave maximum effort in a competitive game.

The Northwest Indiana Oilmen, with a six-run eighth inning, defeated the Crestwood Panthers, 8-4.

I watched two pitchers dominate the game for the first six innings until the offenses woke up to produce some late-night fireworks, which included a long two-run home run and a triple to the right-centerfield gap.

The pregame national anthem and seventh-inning rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" produced the same enthusiasm, albeit on a smaller scale, as songs heard at Wrigley Field or Guaranteed Rate Field.

I enjoyed a night of baseball and satisfied my appetite for a live sporting event at the right price point.

Admission was free after I secured complimentary tickets a few days earlier at the annual Pierogi Fest, a Polish-themed food festival.

A priceless night, if you will.

It's no coincidence "miser" rhymes with "wiser."

BIRD'S LAST WORDS.....Sue Bird yesterday expressed gratitude to a sellout crowd of 18,000-plus at Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle after the 41-year-old point guard played her final regular-season home game of a 21-year WNBA career.

Bird's single best piece of advice to young players interested in basketball applies to every person on planet Earth: "Your health is all you have...protect it."

Interestingly, the retiring Bird may not appear in a home playoff game later this month because the WNBA instituted a quirky playoff format for its quarterfinal round which begins Wednesday, August 17.

Higher-seeded teams will open the Best-of-3 series with a pair of home games with the lower-seeded teams only hosting a decisive Game 3, if necessary.

Bizarre.

MONDAY'S BEST BET.....Play UNDER 8 runs (-115) in the San Francisco Giants-San Diego Padres game.

Wood versus Snell.

First pitch is set for 6:40 p.m. PT.

Petco Park is the most pitcher-friendly park in Major League Baseball.

Veteran lefty Alex Wood looked great in his last start against the Padres on July 10, allowing only three singles over seven shutout innings in a 12-0 win over the Padres in San Diego.

Love the quick pace at which Wood works.

Like Wood, Blake Snell also dominated the opponent he will face tonight by striking out 11 San Francisco hitters in six innings of one-run, three-hit baseball on July 8 in a 6-3 home win.

The Giants and Padres have played 10 times this season.

In those 10 meetings, the losing team has scored two or fewer runs eight times.

Three of the 10 meetings ended with scores of 2-1.

Over their past four games, the new-look Padres have managed only seven runs, 21 hits and no home runs.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sidenote: The San Francisco Giants are the only team in the middle class of the National League.

The Giants enter Monday night's game with a record of 53-55.

The other 14 National League teams are either eight games over .500 or 10 games under .500.

blueline

EOG Master
"L" is the way to go...key to getting out of there efficiently is beating the ground traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:

blueline

EOG Master
from the NW suburbs.......park at Kimball brownline L station...5 or 6 dollars.....put enough on CTA ride card for roundtrip......take Brownline to belmont ...transfer to redline.......can get off brownline at Southport and walk.....take redline from belont to addison

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Cubs drew more than 30,000 fans today on a rainy-day Sunday against the Marlins.

Amazing.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Wind direction was interesting today at Wrigley Field.

At noon, it looked like a hitter's day.

Total was 9.5.

Then the rains came and delayed the start for 56 minutes.

First pitch was 2:16 p.m. CT.

Wind was blowing out to center at only seven miles per hour when the game started, but then shifted as the game progressed.

Final score: 3-0, Marlins.

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
the return leave during singing of go cubs go.... its heard less often nowadays......walk to southport brownline station if you want......or enter addison redline staion from the north....use the northern-ish turnstiles...... go to the north end of the platform....everyone crowds the center and south end.......an 8 car train arrives......the door opens with very few people around... you board without issue.......take it to belmont ...transfer to brownline and you are out of there......by doing this you also beat the worst of the traffic on the Kennedy

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
My friends and I go to Single-A ball games about 1-2x a year. Being Dodgers' fans we like making the 45-ish drive to see the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes or a tad further drive to see the Lake Elsinore Storm (Padres). We can buy tickets behind the dugout for about $20. We know the players are not as good but like you aid, we know we will get solid effort for all 9 innings. I'd much rather pay to see players I know will hustle and give a 9-inning effort than ones who will not. When I went to Comerica Park in July I got tix on the second hand market because going to the stadium and buying from the Tiggers was laughable expensive and not worth it.

For the rest of the season tickets to Angels home games any day that Shohei is not pitching will be easy to come by at less-than-face value

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
About the Padres: It's hard to connect with Manny Machado.

He's the player opposing fans love to hate.

And here's why:

Machado was asked if he was concerned about how the Padres match up with the Dodgers -- a team they seem destined to face in the postseason.

"Concerned?" he shot back. "Why would I be concerned? Not at all."

What gives you that confidence?

"I'm f---ing Manny Machado," he quipped.

Source: ESPN

Last edited:

railbird

EOG Master
My friends and I go to Single-A ball games about 1-2x a year. Being Dodgers' fans we like making the 45-ish drive to see the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes or a tad further drive to see the Lake Elsinore Storm (Padres). We can buy tickets behind the dugout for about $20. We know the players are not as good but like you aid, we know we will get solid effort for all 9 innings. I'd much rather pay to see players I know will hustle and give a 9-inning effort than ones who will not. When I went to Comerica Park in July I got tix on the second hand market because going to the stadium and buying from the Tiggers was laughable expensive and not worth it.

For the rest of the season tickets to Angels home games any day that Shohei is not pitching will be easy to come by at less-than-face value

angel tickets can be had for 6.00 on stubhub, 5 of that is an admin fee, that means they are really going for 1 dollar or less. if you walk into 714 tickets and ask for 10 tickets for 30 bucks total, they would take your 30 bucks and sale them for 3 each without hesitation

Ray Donovan

EOG Enthusiast
I wanna Like Manny Machado, stellar defender, good bat but he dogs out sooo many ground balls he hits, just rubs me the wrong way + saying stuff like this smh. Am I to old fashioned ? Heza bona-fide stud now !

MrTop

EOG Master
The braves strike out 19 times sunday. Here come the phillies. The mets are +550 to win the WS.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I haven't been to a Cubs game in 10 years. I just hate the feeling of getting gouged at every turn. The new ownership is more interested in gentrifying the neighborhood, knowing many will go to Wrigley because its Wrigley.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good point, FW.

I assume the Ricketts family calculated Wrigleyville gentrification into their purchase price of $845 million.

Brilliant move.

Though some in the Wrigley neighborhood are not happy with the so-called progress.

I failed to mention the sports book set to open later this year outside Wrigley Field near the rightfield corner.

The Cubs will partner with DraftKings.

Similarly, Caesars has an agreement in place to open a betting shop outside Chase Field in downtown Phoenix.

Pete Rose must chuckle at baseball's embrace of sports betting.

Can you say hypocrisy?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Good point, FW.

I assume the Ricketts family calculated Wrigleyville gentrification into their purchase price of $845 million.

Brilliant move.

Though some in the Wrigley neighborhood are not happy with the so-called progress.

I failed to mention the sports book set to open later this year outside Wrigley Field near the rightfield corner.

The Cubs will partner with DraftKings.

Similarly, Caesars has an agreement in place to open a betting shop outside Chase Field in downtown Phoenix.

Pete Rose must chuckle at baseball's embrace of sports betting.

Can you say hypocrisy?
They went hard to win a title early and built goodwill. Their ownership plan reminds me a lot of the McCaskeys, just rest on the laurels of that one title and cash in on everything else. I’m not a White Sox fan, but everything about their gameday experience is better for me. How the Cubs handled Marquee Network also speaks volumes.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Very good blog JK. Spartan Mike years ago invited me to a Great Lakes Loons game where he was a season ticket holder. They are the upper class A team of the Dodgers, and play in Midland, MI at Dow Diamond. He was getting on my case that I have to see the Dodgers new pitcher who is dominating every team he faced. I finally made it up for a game. The experience was great. Nice intimate stadium, every player was 18 or 19 years old. They earn about $10k a year doing what they do, and stay at host families for the season. I get to a game where this pitcher was pitching that Mike was boasting about. The guy gets shelled for 7 runs in the first inning! I'm like why are you wasting my time watching this bum. The "bum" was none other than Clayton Kershaw, who happened to suffer his career worst outing in either the majors or minors!!! We still laugh about that to this day. I'm with JK, I would much rather see these guys play, than today's coddled stars. It truly is baseball in it's purest form!!!!!

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
MONDAY'S BEST BET.....Play UNDER 8 runs (-115) in the San Francisco Giants-San Diego Padres game.

Wood versus Snell.

First pitch is set for 6:40 p.m. PT.

Petco Park is the most pitcher-friendly park in Major League Baseball.

Veteran lefty Alex Wood looked great in his last start against the Padres on July 10, allowing only three singles over seven shutout innings in a 12-0 win over the Padres in San Diego.

Love the quick pace at which Wood works.

Like Wood, Blake Snell also dominated the opponent he will face tonight by striking out 11 San Francisco hitters in six innings of one-run, three-hit baseball on July 8 in a 6-3 home win.

The Giants and Padres have played 10 times this season.

In those 10 meetings, the losing team has scored two or fewer runs eight times.

Three of the 10 meetings ended with scores of 2-1.

Over their past four games, the new-look Padres have managed only seven runs, 21 hits and no home runs.

I caught the 8 in this game for the Grand Challenge too, after seeing it had moved to 7' in some places, locking into the advantage under play at Pinny while it was still 8.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I lived in Las Vegas during the early 80s and got to see many MLB players make their start playing for the Las Vegas Stars…..I attended many games with my buddy Jack Moore who was the sports book manager at the Rainbow Club in Henderson….One night we were watching a catcher for the Stars who was having a rough night behind the plate and at bat…I mentioned to Jack that this guy was going to have a short career if he ever got called up…his name was Benito Santiago….

Also got to see guys like Kevin McReynolds, Ozzie Guillen,and Joe Lansford….plenty of good baseball at Cashman Field…plenty of hitting in the Pacific Coast League….

Valuist

EOG Master
from the NW suburbs.......park at Kimball brownline L station...5 or 6 dollars.....put enough on CTA ride card for roundtrip......take Brownline to belmont ...transfer to redline.......can get off brownline at Southport and walk.....take redline from belont to addison

Or take the Metra to the Irving Park station, then bus it to Wrigley.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I lived in Las Vegas during the early 80s and got to see many MLB players make their start playing for the Las Vegas Stars…..I attended many games with my buddy Jack Moore who was the sports book manager at the Rainbow Club in Henderson….One night we were watching a catcher for the Stars who was having a rough night behind the plate and at bat…I mentioned to Jack that this guy was going to have a short career if he ever got called up…his name was Benito Santiago….

Also got to see guys like Kevin McReynolds, Ozzie Guillen,and Joe Lansford….plenty of good baseball at Cashman Field…plenty of hitting in the Pacific Coast League….

VD beat me to Las Vegas by a few years.

The most impressive baseball player I saw at Cashman Field was Matt Kemp.

He was a man among boys at the Triple-A level.

A large guy who could run.

In the big leagues, however, Kemp promised more than he delivered.

Heim

EOG Master
In line with JK's entertaining blog, interesting how the Halos were seriously considering trading
Ohtani, however, Moreno, the owner nixed the deal.

Because they have a chance?

No, some insiders claim with Trout and Rendon out, he wants people in the seats.

Moral of the story, it ain't about winning anymore folks.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
How about the Brewers dealing their all star closer, Josh Haber.....since the trade, the Brewers have dropped 6 in a row, and in those 6 games, they were favored by an average of about -220 vs Pirates and Reds. Brew Crew were in first by 3 and are now in second 2 behind the Cards.

If you are a fan, how can you justify supporting this team?

I haven't even gotten into the Detroit Tigers management either. More on that later.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
How about the Brewers dealing their all star closer, Josh Haber.....since the trade, the Brewers have dropped 6 in a row, and in those 6 games, they were favored by an average of about -220 vs Pirates and Reds. Brew Crew were in first by 3 and are now in second 2 behind the Cards.

If you are a fan, how can you justify supporting this team?

I haven't even gotten into the Detroit Tigers management either. More on that later.

Even Milwaukee's capable set-up man Devin Williams was perplexed by the Hader trade.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Even Milwaukee's capable set-up man Devin Williams was perplexed by the Hader trade.

What's even worse is I had Brewers over 89.5 season win total, dropping these 6 games at the prices they were favored at is like a kick to the nuts. No way they get to 89.5, I doubt they even make the playoffs.

kane

EOG master
What's even worse is I had Brewers over 89.5 season win total, dropping these 6 games at the prices they were favored at is like a kick to the nuts. No way they get to 89.5, I doubt they even make the playoffs.
I have their win total Over as well, I also have them to win their division and the WS, I was feeling a lot better about these last week

kane

EOG master
Cardinals on fire and just swept the Yankees, Brewers can't beat the Pirtaes and Reds, no bueno