NBA's 50 Greatest Players (List from 96-97)...Who joined and who was bumped off 15 years later?

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
Re: NBA's 50 Greatest Players (List from 96-97)...Who joined and who was bumped off 15 years later?

Definite Additions:
Kobe
Lebron
Duncan
Kidd
Dirk
Iverson
Garnett
Wade?
Pierce?
Nash?
Howard?
Who else?
And then who would you bump off?

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: NBA's 50 Greatest Players (List from 96-97)...Who joined and who was bumped off 15 years later?

I'll never understand why Bill Walton made the 50 Greatest list.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Definite Additions:
Kobe
Lebron
Duncan
Kidd
Dirk
Iverson
Garnett
Wade?
Pierce?
Nash?
Howard?
Who else?

Reggie Miller

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Perhaps, Reggie!

But who gets bumped off for all those guys.

The top 50 now is a lot different than it was in 1996-1997.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

At first glance, I'd eliminate Dave Bing, Patrick Ewing, Jerry Lucas, David Robinson and Nate Thurmond.

I would add Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Paul Pierce, Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki.

shotcall0

EOG Senior Member

If he has 2 more good games
Then Jeremy Lin

There are a lot of names on that list I don't recognize, but they were before my time so perhaps they belong (e.g. Hal Greer. Who?). Shaquille O'Neal did not belong on that list back in '96-'97 when he'd only been in the league 5 years and had not won a ring. Five years is just too short a career to make the sport's Top 50 ever.

I think Tim Tebow should be on this list. You know, just because he's Tebow and had he played basketball instead of football he would clearly be the best to ever play.

High Times

EOG Master

Definite Additions:
Kobe
Lebron
Duncan
Kidd
Dirk
Iverson
Garnett
Wade?
Pierce?
Nash?
Howard?
Who else?

Howard better than Ewing no doubt

Lebron replaces Barkley

Iverson not top 50

Pierce not top 50

Kidd not close to a top 50

Kobe for sure and could replace Earl Monroe

Duncan better than Dave Cowens ... sure

Dirk replaces Rick Barry

Garnett not a top 50

Wade, Rose, and Paul not yet, BUT all 3 are way better than Nate Archibald.

Nash replaces Jerry Lucas

Reggie Miller .... Oh so close but no cigar

That's what I would do

:pop:

Chi_Dorothy

EOG Dedicated

I'd think about adding Ray Allen

J

joeybagadonuts

Howard better than Ewing no doubt

Lebron replaces Barkley

Iverson not top 50

Pierce not top 50

Kidd not close to a top 50

Kobe for sure and could replace Earl Monroe

Duncan better than Dave Cowens
... sure

Dirk replaces Rick Barry

Garnett not a top 50

Wade, Rose, and Paul not yet, BUT all 3 are way better than Nate Archibald.

Nash replaces Jerry Lucas

Reggie Miller .... Oh so close but no cigar

That's what I would do

:pop:

:cheers

Nice to see a decent post from HT for once instead of his normal lunacy.

munson15

I want winners...

I never thought Robert Parish was an all-time great.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

I never thought Robert Parish was an all-time great.

He's not, but he was on the Celtics during the 80s, and is known as the Iron Man. That's basically why he was chosen.

tripp

EOG Master

i dont think pierce is close to top 50 all time. Never really stood out to me as an amazing player...very good, but not all time greats good.

lebron, kobe, howard, wade, dirk, cp3, duncan all for sure top 50 guys for me. Maybe some wait a while if we are judging off longevity, but as far as pure talent/production at the top of their game they are all better than tons on that list

gmenknicks

EOG Dedicated

Barkley could easily be removed from the list and replaced with Dirk

CP3 a top 50 player already?

You really don't have a clue, as you have shown over and over again.

tripp

EOG Master

CP3 a top 50 player already?

You really don't have a clue, as you have shown over and over again.

Yes. Like i said CP3's top form (which he has shown for long enough in my books) is better than most PG's top form in the history of the game.

There should probably be more modern players than I'm even saying since the game is always evolving and getting better. 20-30 years from now the top players in the leauge will all be better than the top players of today's NBA. It's simple evolution.

Glad i could help ya out. I think i remember you from somewhere else, and im not surprised by your opinions at all

bomzee

EOG Dedicated

For several years Connie Hawkins was the best basketball player in the world but not allowed to play in the NBA.
IMO He definitely should be on the 50 Best list to play in the NBA despite only playing 7 years -none during his prime.
I would bump off Sam Jones and Robert Parrish-two over-rated Celtics- just to be friendly.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

For several years Connie Hawkins was the best basketball player in the world but not allowed to play in the NBA.
IMO He definitely should be on the 50 Best list to play in the NBA despite only playing 7 years -none during his prime.
I would bump off Sam Jones and Robert Parrish-two over-rated Celtics- just to be friendly.

Great post, Bomzee. Love Connie Hawkins. I went to his day camp when I was 12 years old. :btj:

how about dominique wilkins not even being on the original list, such a shame not mentioned

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

CP3 is way better than people realize. After Lebron and Howard, he's arguably (statistically) the most valuable player in the league.

railbird

EOG Master

rodman in worthy out

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Walton was a great player.

Take Cowens out before Walton.

:LMAO

Yeah, for like three years.

Career points: 6,215

Rodman has more than that, yes, Rodman.

Walton doesn't belong in the top 50.

High Times

EOG Master

His career was shortened because of foot problems.

I think in Waltons case they included his college career to justify his greatness.

You may not agree, but Walton was an all around Center and was said to be the best passing center to ever play. He might have been the smartest Center also.

And the fact that he made the top 50 players without the long career shows how great he was. If he wasn't super great he wouldn't have made the list with such a short career.

He could play with all the all-time great centers and beat them when he was healthy.

He does deserve to be in there!

:btj:

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

His career was shortened because of foot problems.

I think in Waltons case they included his college career to justify his greatness.

You may not agree, but Walton was an all around Center and was said to be the best passing center to ever play. He might have been the smartest Center also.

And the fact that he made the top 50 players without the long career shows how great he was. If he wasn't super great he wouldn't have made the list with such a short career.

He could play with all the all-time great centers and beat them when he was healthy.

He does deserve to be in there!

:btj:

There you have it.

LCD

If you're going to go great for a short time and take into account injuries and incredibly crappy teams then McAdoo > Walton.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Great marketing tool by the NBA.

tripp

EOG Master

CP3 is way better than people realize. After Lebron and Howard, he's arguably (statistically) the most valuable player in the league.

Exactly. I don't think there is any question he is a top 5 player in the league right now with the two you mentioned and probably Durant/Rose to fill it out (imo).

cp3 was another guy doing phenomenal things with nobody around him in new orleans and just this year we see how much better the Clippers are with him.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

DEAD WRONG. Walton was one of the greats albeit for a short period of time. He won a championship with 4 players that were not great in 1977. The next year they went like 40-8 or so until Walton got injured. Again with a non championship supporting cast. If you saw him, you knew how truly GREAT he was. He controlled the game on defense because he was so great and controlled it on offense with his passing. He gave Jabbar fits and that was when Jabbar was young. Walton was so great, so talented and so special he has to be on this list. Of course people will say he did not play long enough....but any smart basketball person who saw him play will NEVER EVER say he should not be on this list. NOT HAPPENING. He DEFINED what a great center is all about. He was so great that in 86 after years and years after his prime and only a shadow of himself, he helped the Celtics win a champsionship just playing great basketball. I thought he was better than Parrish in 86. He still drove Jabbar nuts. Larry Bird had nothing but high HIGH accolades for Bill Walton. He liked him because he knew how good he was. He won championships, he was the ultimate team player, was GReat of the defense end, was the best PASSING CENTER OF ALL TIME, scored plenty. This guy was the complete player. I get chills on ESPN classic watching him in the 77 finals. That is how good he was. The guys is on the list if you know basketball. He was the ultilmate player at the ultimate position.

LCD

The team wasn't just Walton and 4 other guys. Maurice Lucas was an all-star on the all-time ABA team and made probably the decisive play of the series when he punched Dawkins and backed him the fuck up.

maverick

EOG Veteran

DEAD WRONG. Walton was one of the greats albeit for a short period of time. He won a championship with 4 players that were not great in 1977. The next year they went like 40-8 or so until Walton got injured. Again with a non championship supporting cast. If you saw him, you knew how truly GREAT he was. He controlled the game on defense because he was so great and controlled it on offense with his passing. He gave Jabbar fits and that was when Jabbar was young. Walton was so great, so talented and so special he has to be on this list. Of course people will say he did not play long enough....but any smart basketball person who saw him play will NEVER EVER say he should not be on this list. NOT HAPPENING. He DEFINED what a great center is all about. He was so great that in 86 after years and years after his prime and only a shadow of himself, he helped the Celtics win a champsionship just playing great basketball. I thought he was better than Parrish in 86. He still drove Jabbar nuts. Larry Bird had nothing but high HIGH accolades for Bill Walton. He liked him because he knew how good he was. He won championships, he was the ultimate team player, was GReat of the defense end, was the best PASSING CENTER OF ALL TIME, scored plenty. This guy was the complete player. I get chills on ESPN classic watching him in the 77 finals. That is how good he was. The guys is on the list if you know basketball. He was the ultilmate player at the ultimate position.
\

I know this isnt about college play either but anyone who watched that title game he had against Memphis State would be amazed.........didnt he go like 21-23 from the field......he was truly a once in a lifetime great player............

Heim

EOG Master

The team wasn't just Walton and 4 other guys. Maurice Lucas was an all-star on the all-time ABA team and made probably the decisive play of the series when he punched Dawkins and backed him the fuck up.

Yup...plus Hollins was one of the better pgs in the league.....it was great watching those
games via tape delay on CBS @ 11:30 pm. lol

railbird

EOG Master

Sidney Moncreif better than Paul Pierce

railbird

EOG Master

Bill Laimbeer in James Worthy out