New NFL overtime proposal

Pretty awesome idea by the Ravens

Spot and Choose. What does it mean? In short: one team picks where the ball’s spotted, and the other team gets to decide if it wants to play offense or defense. The coin flip would only determine which role each team plays — “Spot” or “Choose.”

Team A will pick a SPOT on the field — say, the offense’s 35-yard line. Team B would then get to CHOOSE whether to play offense and try to drive 65 yards for a touchdown OR play defense and hold Team A from driving those 65 yards.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/spot-and-choose-the-overtime-idea-the-nfl-must-implement-171225104.html

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Hmmm...

Teams will calculate the optimal strategy and then every NFL head coach will follow the conventional wisdom.

But there is a poker element to the proceedings that seems interesting.

Last edited:

boston massacre

EOG Master
So what happens after one team takes possession? The Ravens will reportedly be offering two proposals: one’s sudden death, the first team to score wins, with 10 minutes of game clock. The other would keep the game going as normal for seven minutes and 30 seconds, no sudden-death component.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
So what happens after one team takes possession? The Ravens will reportedly be offering two proposals: one’s sudden death, the first team to score wins, with 10 minutes of game clock. The other would keep the game going as normal for seven minutes and 30 seconds, no sudden-death component.
What happens in regards to?

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
I started reading the proposal at yahoo, but didn't finish it. I don't think it will happen and personally as a mostly underdog bettor, I'd prefer games end with ties after regulation.

I think the college system is better, just make teams go for two right away and don't allow field goals to shorten it.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Too inconsistent for me. I'm ok with what's in place currently.

If TB repeats as NFC Champions in the Super Bowl they'll give him the sympathy choice at the opponent's 1 yard line.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I started reading the proposal at yahoo, but didn't finish it. I don't think it will happen and personally as a mostly underdog bettor, I'd prefer games end with ties after regulation.
I saw the headline on Yahoo plugging it, after reading it i think it's best to just stick with what we have now.