NFL Playoffs Thread

kane

EOG master
I'm pretty certain Shanny would have gone for two which, if successful, would either guarantee a win or the 3rd possession which historically wins around 58% of the time.

Just kicking the XP forces KC to go for two if they score a TD, which is about a 50%/50% proposition.
Completely disagree, the Niners didn't attempt any two point conversions this year, that's 19 games without a single two point attempt, now a lot of that can be explained by the game score, but it's not in his nature to gamble like that, in fact they didn't have a two point attempt last season either, but if he goes for two and gets it, the Chiefs need to do the same to tie, but if they don't get it and the Chiefs score a TD, you just lost the game, and as far as 50/50 proposition, when you have Mahomes I have to think the odds are greater than 50/50,, of course all of this is speculation. BTW, there were two teams this season that didn't attempt a two point conversion, the other team was the Chiefs

kane

EOG master
Shanny: "We wanted the ball 3rd."
If you're going against a different QB then I can buy it, but when you're going against the best QB in the league, you can't plan for a third possession, not with Mahomes, the only other QB I would fear in that spot is of course Brady, you go against either one of them and you can't plan for a third possession that will probably never come

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Completely disagree, the Niners didn't attempt any two point conversions this year, that's 19 games without a single two point attempt, now a lot of that can be explained by the game score, but it's not in his nature to gamble like that, in fact they didn't have a two point attempt last season either, but if he goes for two and gets it, the Chiefs need to do the same to tie, but if they don't get it and the Chiefs score a TD, you just lost the game, and as far as 50/50 proposition, when you have Mahomes I have to think the odds are greater than 50/50,, of course all of this is speculation. BTW, there were two teams this season that didn't attempt a two point conversion, the other team was the Chiefs

it's Irrelevant that SF (or KC) didn't have a 2pt conversion attempt in other situations. And yes, other some teams are more aggressive (or reckless) with the 2pt XP.

Although small samples, in 2023, SF had a better 4th down conversion rate at 54% than KC's 50%. If Mahomes is so good, why only 50%?

Without knowing further details, I think Shanny analytics team's assessment didn't include your Mahomes love factor and so the analytics suggest going for two.

kane

EOG master
SF had a better 4th down conversion rate at 54% than KC's 50%. If Mahomes is so good, why only 50%?
What were the distances of those 4th down conversions, big difference between fourth and 1 or fourth a 5, and Mahomes converted arguably the biggest fourth down of his career on the fourth and short he had in OT, the Niners get that stop, they're SB champions

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Easiest Job in The World ?

Monday Morning QB.

No, not for me. Not on this. Since the rule changed I've said the same thing as far as strategy.

While not as clear and obvious as in the college game I still do the same (defer) in the NFL.

"I want the ball 3rd" is a LOSER'S mentality. I guess in a way it made sense though.......

They had already blown a 10 point lead.

In OT he couldn't put them away either......

He settles for a FG on offense and then his defense could not stop them from scoring a TD.

He and his organization can sleep well though, they were all covered if they could have just TIED them in the first 2 sequences!!

Loser's mentality is supposed to lose and it did just that.....

We move on.

boston massacre

EOG Master
KC said if, sf scored a td they would go for two to negate the 3rd possession,smart move.

Correct.

That Negates The 3rd Possession.

What Was The Percentage Disparity This Season , on Teams Converting The Kick For 1, as Opposed To Teams Converting For 2 ?

Very Large, I Would Guess .

For K.C. , The Disparity Was 100 %

Butker Was 38/38.

2 pt. 0/0.

kane

EOG master
Ironically in these 3 KC SB wins their OLine has never been called for holding!!??? Not once, not ever in these latest wins.
Pat, first off I'm not getting into an argument with you over Mahomes, I know how you feel about him, and you know how I feel about him, I'm just here to address the penalty situation. The Chiefs have played in 4 SB's during the Mahomes era, this is the breakdown of penalties in each game.

SB 2020 Chiefs and Niners: total penalties and yards KC 4/24 SF 5/45

SB 2021 Chiefs and Bucs: total penalties and yards KC 11/120 TB 4/39

SB 2023 Chiefs and Eagles: total penalties and yards KC 3/14 Phi 6/33

SB 2024 Chiefs and Niners: total penalties and yards KC 6/55 SF 6/40

If you add them all up, in the 4 SB's, the Chiefs have been called for 24 penalties and 213 yards, their opponents have been called for 21 penalties and 157 yards

Also, of course some penalties are more impactful than others, in the 4 SB's combined the Chiefs have been called for 11 penalties that resulted in a first down for their opponent, their opponent has been called for 6 penalties that resulted in a first down for the Chiefs

The only game that really stands out is the one against Tampa where the Chiefs were called for 11/120 while the Bucs were only 4/39, I can't even imagine the outrage had SF been called for three times as many penalties as KC, and for three times the yardage

It's easy to form a narrative when bias is involved, we all do it, myself included at times, but the narrative that the Chiefs get all the calls just isn't true