NFL QB 2018 Draft Grades

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I would flip Allen and Rosen for this year only. Allen really has nothing to work with, down top 3 RBs today also.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
You like Jackson over them? His arm is suspect however basing the grade on what he presents to defenses.

I haven't seen much positive from Rosen at all, and he has a pretty darn good RB. Fitz doesn't scare many D's. Allen has nothing to work with. No idea what to think of Jackson, outside of they run the ball much better with him. That works with a stellar D as long as he doesn't turn the ball over . he's given the contribution of a 5th QB in the draft. I thought he was drafted too high though. Mayfield looks like he'll be in the league for 10 years, Darnold needs weapons, played pretty well last night.

Valuist

EOG Master
Mayfield is the clear leader and I would put Jackson second. Why put Darnold second? I haven't seen much positive out of him.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Someone on the Texans last night complimented Sam Darnold on his performance.

Not sure if he was sincere or merely blowing smoke.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
On potential shown:
Mayfield A-
Allen B
Jackson B-
Rosen C-
Darnold C-

Mayfield has surprised me. I didn't particularly like him coming out, but I was very wrong. He has big time potential, and has every intangible you could want.
Allen and Jackson are run first guys, and will need lots of work and patience, but are such outstanding runners, they can be passable Pros with that alone. Allen has a Mahomes like rifle, and with lots of work can develop the passing side also. Will likely never be a super accurate guy, but with his overall abilities, he'll still be real good, and can be very similar to Cam Newton if he develops fully. That ain't bad. Jackson's arm is very good, if not elite, and with a lot of work, he'll also be a good overall QB for years.
Rosen has shown the clutch gene at times. He's been overall disappointing, but tough to judge without better coaching and a better team around him.
Darnold looks like he can be a competent NFL QB, with a mid range ceiling. You hope for more with the 2nd QB in the draft.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Someone on the Texans last night complimented Sam Darnold on his performance.

Not sure if he was sincere or merely blowing smoke.

From J.J. Watt, no less:

“I told him (Sam Darnold) he’s a good player,” Watt said in his postgame media session. “I told him he’s a good player. He ran around all night, made a lot of plays on the run. He can scramble. He can make throws. He’s a good player. And obviously, he’s young and he’s got a great future ahead of him, so I told him he’s a great player and good luck.”