One of the reasons Pac-12 football and basketball are declining

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I’m pretty sure a Skynyrd concert will be 98% white now also.

Are the millennials taking over the city like Chicago, pricing them out? Many inner-city factory jobs left Chicago and the blacks had to leave.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
gentrification is a serious thing in Southern California.
That’s been going on for years and years though. The first time I visited the OC (1980), there were a lot of first-generation Asians living there. Now they are 2nd and 3rd generations. They work, pay taxes, don’t bother anyone. I don’t see the problem.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
That’s been going on for years and years though. The first time I visited the OC (1980), there were a lot of first-generation Asians living there. Now they are 2nd and 3rd generations. They work, pay taxes, don’t bother anyone. I don’t see the problem.

Trust me I live here. It's much more prevalent now than even 10 years ago. Urban rough cities are now hipster cities. Millennials are moving into cities like Compton, Boyle Heights, etc. Crime is way down in some of these areas but so is affordable housing. I've seen (13) 8 story luxury apartment buildings built within a mile of me in the past 5 years. $2500 a mo MIN. Some are as much as 4k a month.

railbird

EOG Master

no, they are moving in from China, Chinese have bought up West Coast, it needs to stop.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Trust me I live here. It's much more prevalent now than even 10 years ago. Urban rough cities are now hipster cities. Millennials are moving into cities like Compton, Boyle Heights, etc. Crime is way down in some of these areas but so is affordable housing. I've seen (13) 8 story luxury apartment buildings built within a mile of me in the past 5 years. $2500 a mo MIN. Some are as much as 4k a month.
I know it’s a fine balance, no real good answers. The area around the White Sox park is like that now. it’s like that on my side of the lake. Some people are basically paying Chicago taxes on $80k homes because the rest of the neighborhood are 2nd home owners who put a lot into their home.

railbird

EOG Master
there were no 1st generation Asians in oc, the viets came here in early 70s. Irvine is 55 pct Asian, they voted for Hillary, OC went blue 1st time in 80 yrs

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
there were no 1st generation Asians in oc, the viets came here in early 70s. Irvine is 55 pct Asian, they voted for Hillary, OC went blue 1st time in 80 yrs
My friends mostly live in the Irvine/Anaheim Hills area. The father was head of maintenance for the Irvine school district. I’m sure it’s mainly new money in the OC away from where you are.

railbird

EOG Master
California is 41 pct white 39 Hispanic, 12 pct Asian, 6 pct black 2 pct other
Alabama is 72 pct white, 28 pct black.

47 pct of ca population for football
100 pct of alabama population for football.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
Railbird, let me see if you know how China is buying all these houses in California? I know the "real" answer but I want to see if you do as well.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
Would like to see if anyone knows why California has so many Asians buying property? I didn’t know til recently.

But it makes a lot of sense

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Would like to see if anyone knows why California has so many Asians buying property? I didn’t know til recently.

But it makes a lot of sense
Since LA and SF are the main ports of entry from Asia to the US, it makes sense that they live there also.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
Population increases but stadiums haven''t expanded their seating capacity the past several decades. Just increase the prices.

After watching professional sports college sports is not as entertaining. SoCal fan base support pro teams.

Decline of UCLA athletics have hurt college football and basketball in LA. College sports is a regional sport in SoCal. If the playoff included every major conference winner they would care more about it. Rose Bowl is still an attraction.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Pac-12 Network, which virtually nobody can see, has to be a factor in the conference's decline.

Oregon at #43, according to Ken Pomeroy's model, is the Pac-12's highest-rated college basketball team right now.

Last edited:

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
White man employed Hispanics. Paid the cheap wages but didn't care to pay higher taxes in return. They didn't care that Hispanics like to have lots of kids. They brought this about themselves.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
Spectrum is a threat to ESPN and FOX Sports 1.

They are looking to make sports a regional product.

Spectrum shows LA Dodgers, Lakers and PAC 12 Network.

Rumor has it when Lakers station Spectrum Sportsnet contract expires in a year and a half with satellite and cable providers it will not be renewed.

Lakers will be like Dodgers in LA. Only on Spectrum and nowhere else. PAC 12 Network is along for the ride.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
Spectrum is building a news division and will develop series and movies.

They are looking to make a play on local sports rights and keeping them exclusive to only Spectrum and nowhere else.

railbird

EOG Master
The Pac-12 Network, which virtually nobody can see, has to be a factor in the conference's decline.

Oregon at #43, according to Ken Pomeroy's model, is the Pac-12's highest-rated college basketball team right now.
And they are not top 60 imo, bol bol is overrated, and currently injured

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
Larry Scott gets bashed but doesn't deserve it. Product on the field and court make PAC 12 Network a hard sell.

AD's to save their job like to blame Larry Scott for their problems. PAC 12 gets enough exposure to be successful.