Phillies rookie Scott Kingery

Heim

EOG Master
Scouts in FLA said this kid is already the best player on the team. Phils believe that too giving him the largest guarantee for a player with no major league experience today. Phillies look like a WC contender...No?

Not bad for a walk-on at U of Arizona.

choslamshe

EOG Master
Re: Phillies Scott Kingery

2018 year of Philly minus the Flyers

Between Championships and massive turnarounds...future is bright

Valuist

EOG Master

I understand he is a highly touted prospect. But why jump the gun with the extension? You've got years of contract control with him. He still does not have a regular season at bat in MLB. Seems like an odd decision at this point in time.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Brett Lawrie was a better prospect than Mike Trout

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

.294/.337/.449/.786 in 286 at bats at triple A

Not can't miss production.

King Felix

EOG Veteran

Brett Lawrie was a better prospect than Mike Trout
Huh?

Brett Lawrie's highest prospect ranking was #40 in baseball. As a 20 year old he had a 797 OPS in AA.

Mike Trouts best prospect ranking was #3 in baseball behind Bryce Harper and Matt Moore (who pre-TJ was about as elite of a pitching prospect as you'd find). Trout was also 20 and Moore was 23, so you could argue that Trout was only behind Harper as age does matter in terms of prospect elevation. As a 20 year old Trout had a 958 OPS at AA. Lawrie was no where near a better prospect than Trout.

King Felix

EOG Veteran

That said, agree with you on one thing; there's no chance Kingery would be the best player on the Phillies roster already. Hoskins a much better player, and it's not really close. Odubal and Cesar too.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Lawrie was drafted higher in a major league draft than Trout

I mean 16th in 2008 vs 25th in 2009

The point was really more just that you don't know what you've got until they're producing.

But if you're going to count slam dunks, you'd at least like to see them humiliating minor league pitching at every level like guys like Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber did.

King Felix

EOG Veteran

yeah, i hear ya. the whole "scouts" say he's the best player on the phillies right now thing is just absurd. he projects - in a full season - to have a WAR under 2 right now. That puts him at 5th behind Hoskins, Santana, Odubal, and JP. Based on Steamer600 he would be the 9th best player on the team.

Anyone saying he'd be the best player on the team right now is being obtuse.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Similar to the idiots that said Kyle Schwarber was going to be a better hitter than Rizzo or Bryant.

Maybe just shit scouts say for attention.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: Phillies rookie Scott Kingery

Kingery can play shortstop, third base and all three outfield positions.

Is he an Opening Day starter for the Phillies?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

If you’re the Phils, why wouldn’t you start him in the minors for 2 weeks like the cubs did with Bryant? If he’s as good as they think, they tie him up for an extra year of control and save $10-15 mil.

MrTop

EOG Master

If you’re the Phils, why wouldn’t you start him in the minors for 2 weeks like the cubs did with Bryant? If he’s as good as they think, they tie him up for an extra year of control and save $10-15 mil.

I think you see the teams wait is for contracts like you say. The giants did it with posey. Once the date passes I forget when it is they get to keep him at a low price for the extra 1/2 year. The players I think have to wait 4-5 years before they go out on market... some scam the owners wanted.

I understand he is a highly touted prospect. But why jump the gun with the extension? You've got years of contract control with him. He still does not have a regular season at bat in MLB. Seems like an odd decision at this point in time.

I think we are going to start seeing this trend a lot more by GM’s. Kingery is now contractually tied to Philly until his early 30s. We’ve seen the FA spending cut in half this year with a concerted effort to spend more efficiently.

I watched Kingery for 3 years at UA and he’s a nice player with decent (not outstanding) tools but probably doesn’t have that high of a ceiling. His power #’s were very much inflated in minors last year playing in very hitter friendly parks. Solid player though who can do a little bit of everything.

MrTop

EOG Master

phillies doing good .... but i don't like locking anyone up too early

Valuist

EOG Master

I think we are going to start seeing this trend a lot more by GM’s. Kingery is now contractually tied to Philly until his early 30s. We’ve seen the FA spending cut in half this year with a concerted effort to spend more efficiently.

I watched Kingery for 3 years at UA and he’s a nice player with decent (not outstanding) tools but probably doesn’t have that high of a ceiling. His power #’s were very much inflated in minors last year playing in very hitter friendly parks. Solid player though who can do a little bit of everything.

But why now? Like Fair Warning said, send him to the minors for the 15 days or so. That extra year of control could be big, IF he pans out. And let him at least show he's not overmatched at the MLB level before offering the extension.

But why now? Like Fair Warning said, send him to the minors for the 15 days or so. That extra year of control could be big, IF he pans out. And let him at least show he's not overmatched at the MLB level before offering the extension.

The timing of signing and playing now was probably part of the agreed contract for Kingery. The way the Phils look at it is why care too much about half a year of control when Kingery won’t now become a free agent until he’s 33?

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

The timing of signing and playing now was probably part of the agreed contract for Kingery. The way the Phils look at it is why care too much about half a year of control when Kingery won’t now become a free agent until he’s 33?

They’ve sure invested a lot of guaranteed money into someone who hasn’t proven they can play Major League Baseball well.

They’ve sure invested a lot of guaranteed money into someone who hasn’t proven they can play Major League Baseball well.

24 million guaranteed with 3 years of team options to keep a player under Phillies control until he’s 33 is not a big investment at all.

Its still dumb, you could pay him $500K/year.

If Kingery turns into the legit player they think he will it’s extremely cost efficient for the team in the long run. The slow freeze in free agency this year is a sign of things to come and moves like the Phils made here will become a growing trend-just watch.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

If Kingery turns into the legit player they think he will it’s extremely cost efficient for the team in the long run. The slow freeze in free agency this year is a sign of things to come and moves like the Phils made here will become a growing trend-just watch.

Why is a sure thing MLB star posting a sub .800 OPS in AAA in 300 or so at bats at 23 years old?

Why is a sure thing MLB star posting a sub .800 OPS in AAA in 300 or so at bats at 23 years old?

I never said Kingery was a sure thing nor a future star. Have you ever seen him play? I watched him for 3 years. The guy does a lot of the little things that don’t show up in box scores. Very high Baseball IQ. Very nice speed stealing 29 last year while only getting thrown out 5 times. Can play many positions. If Theo locked up a top 30 MLB ranked prospect (like Happ was before the start of last season) you’d be bragging how brilliantly creative Theo was and everyone on the board here knows this.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I never said Kingery was a sure thing nor a future star. Have you ever seen him play? I watched him for 3 years. The guy does a lot of the little things that don’t show up in box scores. Very high Baseball IQ. Very nice speed stealing 29 last year while only getting thrown out 5 times. Can play many positions. If Theo locked up a top 30 MLB ranked prospect (like Happ was before the start of last season) you’d be bragging how brilliantly creative Theo was and everyone on the board here knows this.

lol what are you talking about?

Locking up Anthony Rizzo ended up being the smartest thing any GM has ever done just about. Dude is getting 20% of his worth in his prime. These are result dependent evaluations. We don't know whether this was smart or dumb yet.

MrTop

EOG Master

Locking up Anthony Rizzo ended up being the smartest thing any GM has ever done just about. Dude is getting 20% of his worth in his prime. These are result dependent evaluations. We don't know whether this was smart or dumb yet.

move rizo to left ... trade swarber to AL

This is going to be a trend. Once Theo makes a similar move you can come here and tell us how dumb it is.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

This is going to be a trend. Once Theo makes a similar move you can come here and tell us how dumb it is.

And how would signing Happ right now be comparable? Happ hit 24 major league HR last year as a 22 year old and posted an .842 OPS?

And how would signing Happ right now be comparable? Happ hit 24 major league HR last year as a 22 year old and posted an .842 OPS?

The only comparison I made was Happ was a top 30 MLB prospect entering the 2017 season just like Kingery is this season.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I disagree with you about this becoming a trend though. I think the only prospects who are going to sign these types of deals are guys terrified that they’ll never be good. Not exactly a good look from either angle.

I disagree with you about this becoming a trend though. I think the only prospects who are going to sign these types of deals are guys terrified that they’ll never be good. Not exactly a good look from either angle.

Was Rizzo terrified he wouldn’t be good when he signed on the cheap?

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Pretty easy to answer that one. Do you think Rizzo low balls himself if he hits like he is now in 2011-2013???

So what is this guy afraid of? Seems obvious.

Pretty easy to answer that one. Do you think Rizzo low balls himself if he hits like he is now in 2011-2013???

So what is this guy afraid of? Seems obvious.

Ha-you say it’s easy to answer but don’t answer the question.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Ha-you say it’s easy to answer but don’t answer the question.

Are you dense? One awful year and one year of mediocrity at the MLB level talked Rizzo into selling himself short.

What talked Kingery into doing it? One half year of mediocrity against AAA pitching?

Sounds like a confident guy lol

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

That’s a good question and it cost him a lot of money. There is a big difference between him and Kingery - Rizzo had two years of MLB experience, hence the Cubs had to buy him out of arbitration. We don’t know a thing about Kingery outside of spring training. Scrappers in college are a dime a dozen, that doesn’t mean you reward win with a long term deal before he has an official AB.

Are you dense? One awful year and one year of mediocrity at the MLB level talked Rizzo into selling himself short.

What talked Kingery into doing it? One half year of mediocrity against AAA pitching?

Sounds like a confident guy lol

You stepped in this one yourself. You said players that sign contracts on the cheap are terrified that they’d never be good. Rizzo signed a very cheap contract early in his career. So I will ask you onnce again. Yes or no-was Rizzo terrified he’d never be good when he signed his cheap contract.

Valuist

EOG Master

move rizo to left ... trade swarber to AL

Rizzo is a Gold Glove winning first baseman. Why would you potentially weaken two positions? Schwarber may not be Mike Trout in the outfield, but with no experience (for Rizzo in OF), I would have to believe he'd be better than Rizzo.

MrTop

EOG Master

Rizzo is a Gold Glove winning first baseman. Why would you potentially weaken two positions? Schwarber may not be Mike Trout in the outfield, but with no experience (for Rizzo in OF), I would have to believe he'd be better than Rizzo.

during off season not now .. get someone else to play 1st