Racing at Golden Gate Fields canceled today

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
BERKELEY — Four people chained themselves together and laid down on the racetrack at Golden Gate Fields on Thursday, demanding that the track be shut down over recent horse deaths and forcing the day’s races to be canceled.

Source: East Bay Times

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Seventeen people from a Berkeley-based group called “Direct Action Everywhere (DXE)” held blue-and-gold placards as they gathered near the entrance to the racetrack at Interstate 80 and Gilman Street. Four others found their way onto the track and laid down in what a press release from the activists described as “heavily-weighted PVC pipes”.

The protest started around noon. The banner and placards outside the track read, “Shut Down Golden Gate Fields,” and the protesters chanted, “It’s not entertainment,” and “There’s no excuse for animal abuse.”

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Where's the group supporting horseplayers?

Never mind.

There is no group supporting horseplayers.

Never has been, never will be.

Sad.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Here's hoping the four loonies who chained themselves together and committed a variety of crimes will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Oh wait, it's California.

Never mind.

They should have loaded the horses in the starting gate and turned them loose as the 4 were laying on the track.

Yeah exactly, they would have had an oh shit moment and got up faster than they got down. Then they could bitch about how cruel the track was to humans too, but really who cares.

Here's hoping the four loonies who chained themselves together and committed a variety of crimes will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Oh wait, it's California.

Never mind.

Better yet a private enterprise should sue the shit out of this "group". Put their asses out of business, pretty straightforward here's how many tax dollars you cost the state and how much you cost our business, pay up motherfuckers.

Bigrunner

EOG Master
What happened in today's final race #11 at Parx? Halfway thru you can hear sirens ringing. Then the racecall goes mute for a few seconds. Announcer comesback and says horses will pull up. There's a pony down on the racetrack. IMO #6 was gonna be an easy winner. All bets refunded.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Terrible communication from Parx Racing to the simulcast crowd.

Unbelievable.

The 11th race today was declared "no contest."

WPS, exacta and trifecta wagers were refunded.

Late double (7-all) paid $15.80.

Late Pick 3 (7-7-all) paid $24.50

Pick 4 (3-7-7-all) paid $35.00.

Still searching for more details on why the final race was declared "no contest."

Bigrunner

EOG Master
Terrible communication from Parx Racing to the simulcast crowd.

Unbelievable.

The 11th race today was declared "no contest."

WPS, exacta and trifecta wagers were refunded.

Late double (7-all) paid $15.80.

Late Pick 3 (7-7-all) paid $24.50

Pick 4 (3-7-7-all) paid $35.00.

Still searching for more details on why the final race was declared "no contest."

I believe horses had to pull up because an outrider's pony collapsed in the stretch while the race was in progress? My educated guess.

Heim

EOG Master
I wish I was treated as good as some of these thoroughbreds. These activists should concentrate on horses done racing with little, if any stud value. That's were the neglect and deplorable conditions exist.

skinny

EOG Addicted
I wish I was treated as good as some of these thoroughbreds. These activists should concentrate on horses done racing with little, if any stud value. That's were the neglect and deplorable conditions exist.
Correct

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I've needed those sirens to sound many times at the head of the stretch when my speedy selections spit the bit.