Ranking the SEC Home Fields:

mofome

Banned
For the past several years, the SEC has led the nation in attendance by consistently having more than one million fans pass through its gates every year. No conference has better fans or venues in which to watch a game.
Having had the opportunity to visit almost all of the stadiums, here is a ranking of the venues of SEC teams by division.

SEC East
1. Neyland Stadium (University of Tennessee)
This is the biggest SEC Stadium and, depending on which way the wind is blowing, in some years the biggest stadium in the country.
There is nothing more entertaining than listening to 100,000 people sing "Rocky Top" in unison.
Lose a game at UT as a visitor, and I promise you too will know all the words. Plus, at UT you can tailgate in a boat as part of the Volunteer Navy. That, like the Vols, is hard to beat.

2. Ben Hill-Griffin Stadium (University of Florida)
I think this and Sanford Stadium are interchangeable in the Eastern division rankings.
I'll give Florida the edge, though, because it has a great nickname in "The Swamp."
Watching Florida fans do the Gator Chomp before a kickoff is pretty impressive. It's also a good site to see the Gator faithful enjoy "We are the Boys" before the Fourth Quarter of games.

3. Sanford Stadium (University of Georgia)
My alma mater! Here's a confession of a UGA alum: Georgia's fan base is a pretty wine and cheese crowd at home games.
The fans are a little too reactive and not very proactive.
However, the stadium is beautiful and the atmosphere at UGA games is great.
Last year for the "blackout" game against Auburn was as great a home crowd as you could ever want.
The stadium boasts the nation's best live mascot, Uga, and also a graveyard for his predecessors. Okay, I can admit: that's a little creepy.

4. Williams-Brice Stadium (University of South Carolina)
South Carolina by far has the best fans in the country. Hands down, no questions asked.
The Gamecocks have never won a conference championship, but their fans continuously show up in droves of more than 80,000 at every home game in Columbia.
Watching the Gamecocks come out to 2000: A Space Odyssey is a must-see for any fan. The only drawback is that the stadium is not on campus, so it doesn't have the appeal to the eye that some of the other stadiums do.

5. Commonwealth Stadium (University of Kentucky)
This is a beautiful stadium, too. However, it's the second-smallest in the division and thus gets the next-to-last ranking.

6. Vanderbilt Stadium (Vanderbilt University)
This stadium isn't very great. It's a patchwork mess of metal bleachers and is generally inhabited by more visiting fans than home fans.
That said, it's in downtown Nashville and so it has a lot of nice things to look at...including Vandy co-eds. They got their daddy's money and their momma's good looks...

SEC West
1. Tiger Stadium (LSU)
This is a fantastic place to watch a game. While South Carolina may have the "best" fans, LSU has the most intense.
There is probably no louder stadium in the country than LSU at night. If you've never seen the tape of the "Earthquake Game", get on youtube and check it out immediately.

2. Bryant-Denny Stadium (University of Alabama)
Alabama is also a great place to watch a game. I went to a game in 2002 in Tuscaloosa and the fans were just amazing.
'Bama scored on a Charlie Peprah interception and I literally could not hear myself think. I thought that phrase only existed in theory, but it's actually true. When the PA plays "Sweet Home Alabama," it's amazing.
Side note: If you go to a game at Alabama, you may think Bear Bryant still coaches there. I googled it and apparently he does not.

3. Jordan-Hare Stadium (Auburn University)
This is also a great place to watch a game. Jordan-Hare is probably one of the more picturesque stadiums in the country along with Sanford Stadium.
The design is great and the fans are great. However, don't joke about rolling Toomer's Corner around Auburn fans if your team wins. I almost didn't make it out of there in 1996 or 2002.

4. Vaught-Hemingway Stadium (University of Mississippi)
The Grove is probably one of the best places to tailgate in all the country.
It's also a nice touch that Archie Manning's No. 18 serves as the speed limit around campus.
And, as noted above, Ole Miss has beautiful co-eds. The stadium isn't very big, however, and there's just not a whole lot to do in Oxford. It's a great town, though, and a must-do trip for any SEC fan.

5. Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium (University of Arkansas)
This stadium isn't as big and loud as most of the others and just doesn't have the great feel that some of the others do.

6. Scott Field (Mississippi State University)
I like Blue Oyster Cult as much as anyone, but I do not need more cowbell.

link

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Re: Ranking the SEC Home Fields:

Before I saw the link, I thought you may have switched Tennessee to #1 Mo.......lol

vinividivinci

EOG Addicted

Funny but true story. When my son was 5 or 6 we made the trip to Knoxville for the season-ending Vanderbilt-Tennessee game. He was a huge Vanderbilt fan and all the way there he kept telling me Vanderbilt was going to kick butt.

Once we were in our seats, in the lower bowl, about the 35 yard line, the crowd started to get into the pre-game festivities. One thing led to another until just before kickoff my son turned to me and said, "Dad, I think we're gonna lose."

WE did, of course. That is a very intimidating atmosphere, one of the greatest in all of college football. To win a game there, however, takes on all that much special meaning.

VVV

uk graduate here. commonwealth is much louder now they have enclosed the end zones.. not tv camera friendly, but great place to watch a game live.

mofome

Banned

have you ever been to neyland? i hate ut being a uk grad, but it would be hard to even listen to an argument that puts neyland behind anyone.

5 star is just a goofy young kid. he doesn't know much about the world of sports yet. hes still a pup.

5 star is just a goofy young kid. he doesn't know much about the world of sports yet. hes still a pup.
i sat at the top of neyland in a route against uk a few years ago when we were damn near the favorite coming in. i thought it would get so loud i might get popped out of the top of it like a cork... like being at a rock concert.

side note: i live in nashville now, and i still hate fucking "rocky top." GO BLUE

mofome

Banned

i sat at the top of neyland in a route against uk a few years ago when we were damn near the favorite coming in. i thought it would get so loud i might get popped out of the top of it like a cork... like being at a rock concert.

side note: i live in nashville now, and i still hate fucking "rocky top." GO BLUE

When rocky top is rockin, its as good as it gets.

:cheers

Been to all SEC stadiums exept Miss St.

That is a pretty accurate rating. I am biased to Williams-Brice because I spend many Saturdays there watching some great games.

Neyland was ROCKIN last year. When USC came back it got quiet for a few mins but it didn't last long. There is no boubt the fans are a big part of UT's success.

The swamp is awesome too. I hate going to UGA. They prob have some of the most obnoxious fans in the country. Even the LSU fans were nice to us, but I have heard horror stories from others.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Been to all SEC stadiums exept Miss St.

That is a pretty accurate rating. I am biased to Williams-Brice because I spend many Saturdays there watching some great games.

Neyland was ROCKIN last year. When USC came back it got quiet for a few mins but it didn't last long. There is no boubt the fans are a big part of UT's success.

The swamp is awesome too. I hate going to UGA. They prob have some of the most obnoxious fans in the country. Even the LSU fans were nice to us, but I have heard horror stories from others.

ut is a bunch of thugs. they had like 8 or 9 arrests since last season

Good write up--about right on the nose. Vandy's place should not even be ranked--its a dump. 91023i2ndw;l

WVU

EOG Master

You might as well have ranked the stadiums according to the Teams' rankings as it would not have changed much if anything

pvcpipe

EOG Master

I would switch the Neyland/Swamp ranking in the east, and of course Bama/Auburn in the west.

Like chandler, I've been to all the venues except one (UK). Those were some great road trips!

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I would switch the Neyland/Swamp ranking in the east, and of course Bama/Auburn in the west.

Like chandler, I've been to all the venues except one (UK). Those were some great road trips!

agree... not sure how Neyland is ranked ahead of Thw Swamp

91023i2ndw;l