The play

Texans +9.5 -110 (1 unit) widely available

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No feel right now.

I like that approach, Ray.

I trust what I see, not what I read.

Kickoff time tonight is set for 8:25 ET.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Houston on the board first.

After the Texans scored, Kansas City was listed as a 3.5-point favorite in live wagering.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Kansas City with the answer-back touchdown.

Eleven plays, 75 yards in less than six minutes.

What else is new?

choslamshe

EOG Master
Is it really possible for 15,000 fans to sound the same as 70,000? There has to be some form of manufactured noise happening.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Early in the telecast, I heard Al Michaels say NBC was not responsible for any manufactured noise.

Not sure about the staff at Arrowhead.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Current score: Kansas City 24 Houston 7 with 10 minutes left in the third quarter.

The Chiefs have scored 24 unanswered points.

Kansas City is now a 17.5-point favorite in live wagering.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Love your contributions, RAY.

Quick question: Why announce you have no feel right now yet post a selection on the first game of the season?

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Question for anyone on this concerning live wagering

You have Texans plus 9.5
Short goes up 7-0
Live line Chiefs -3.5

What percentage of your original bet do you lay the 3.5? Or just sit and do nothing?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

You have Texans plus 9.5
Short goes up 7-0
Live line Chiefs -3.5

What percentage of your original bet do you lay the 3.5? Or just sit and do nothing?
It depends on a few things, namely how much do you like the original play. Since you bet it for action,I may have thrown half on the -3.5.

You have Texans plus 9.5
Short goes up 7-0
Live line Chiefs -3.5

Why hedge unless that was part of your plan to begin with?

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Why hedge unless that was part of your plan to begin with?

Yes, good question. Usually a hedge is only good betting strategy if it , by itself, is +EV. The exception is if you have so overbet the original that you have a significant amount of your net worth at risk so the theoretical marginal utility of money may into play.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
But shooting for the middle on the entire wager allows you to take 20/1 on the game (assuming-110 on both lines) or 10/1 if you catch a side (assuming no half points involved)

ComptrBob

EOG Master
But shooting for the middle on the entire wager allows you to take 20/1 on the game (assuming-110 on both lines) or 10/1 if you catch a side (assuming no half points involved)

No, middling odds don't apply if you are betting in-progress or a halftime. In this case, you are "gambling away" the huge equity of the original Texans +9.5 bet in which they are ahead by 7 points. You can make the case that the in-progress KC -3.5 standalone bet at this point is +EV based on your analysis and if that is the case you have two +EV bets in play.

I remember many years ago the former Michigan bartender, Ted Sevransky (Teddy Covers) made the same claim on the radio about halftime "middles". Eventually Fezzik got hold of him and explained with a -EV halftime bet he was just losing equity from the original bet.

No, middling odds don't apply if you are betting in-progress or a halftime. In this case, you are "gambling away" the huge equity of the original Texans +9.5 bet in which they are ahead by 7 points. You can make the case that the in-progress KC -3.5 standalone bet at this point is +EV based on your analysis and if that is the case you have two +EV bets in play.

I remember many years ago the former Michigan bartender, Ted Sevransky (Teddy Covers) made the same claim on the radio about halftime "middles". Eventually Fezzik got hold of him and explained with a -EV halftime bet he was just losing equity from the original bet.

That's a great, hopefully easy way to put it Bob. So many people love to hedge and ignore that they lose juice most of the time, and that they probably overbet in the first place because they thought I'll just hedge it out. I love all the people who claim how smart they were betting into future book with horrendous takeout percentage because it was the time things worked out well and they were able to get a favorable hedge against it. When I then say well if you have it, don't hedge future book equity away, they are like but I want to make sure I win something on this bet which is a telltale sign that you overbet the future and gave the house a ton of edge on what amounts to an overbet. When I tell them if you are shooting for the stars, you are getting lottery like odds they disagree but how many guys you know bet some team at 100-1 or better and they actually cashed the ticket with little or no hedging? I literally have never seen someone I know show me that.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Gonna take some games that moved against my line

Boys -3.5 -09
Chargers +7.5 -18
Wash +14 -02
Bears +3 -10