Remember when people used to talk about sports on sports betting forums?

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
I do, and believe it or not it wasn't that long ago. The personal attacks over politics have gotten completely out of hand.

How many quality posters has this site lost just since I joined in mid-2016?

Can you blame them really? It's gotten to the point where it infiltrates even the Best Bet and contest threads pretty much daily.

I don't need to name the offenders... though you more reasonable folks who respond to them are giving them exactly what they want and that doesn't really help things. You know who you are, too.

I'm not against arguing politics on message board forums... but most places have a separate sub-forum in which.... oh wait, look!!! There's ALREADY a "Politics and Government" sub-forum right here on this site!!!

JK, I BEG you to clean up the main page and keep this shit where it's supposed to be. NO more "gentlemen, please," or warnings. You rarely follow through on said warnings, so of course they're not taken seriously. Back in the whole McIrish fiasco, you stated in response to one of my questions that part of your job is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment in which to discuss sports betting topics. (I'm paraphrasing a bit because I can't remember the exact quote. I'm close though.)

Does EOG as it stands currently fit that description in your opinion?

I understand that you have a personal relationship with a lot of these posters and that makes it tougher for you. I get it. If you don't want to do it, make me a temporary mod for 30 days and I'll be the bad guy. No one will be perma-banned, but I guarantee you that when I'm done there won't be any more political posts (or associated juvenile name-calling) on the main page.

I've met one poster here one time in real life and that's ComptrBob. He joined some friends and I for dinner in Tahoe once. Besides that the closest I have to a personal relationship I guess is FairWarning, and that's only because he and I happened to grow up 15 minutes from each other, and we occasionally PM about stuff back home, like when someone we both know passes or whatever. I've never met him.

In other words, this will be done without fear or favor.

I don't work my real job again until June 1... I have time.

Last edited:

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Ban Sinker he is a berry bad man all he does is troll the posters who are their own uncles or are stuck in grade 4 at the age of 42. Then they cry and do the ignore hissy while reading every word.

He don't talk too much sports and he don't pay his tab just to piss off the inbreds.

Plus he was mean to TabletBob and another poster some fat puerco who might not last till football season.

Do the right thing here JK, we were all feared Qwerty warriors until he showed up and shoved it all up our asses for sport.

Is that a sport John?

Bigrunner

EOG Master
I do, and believe it or not it wasn't that long ago. The personal attacks over politics have gotten completely out of hand.

How many quality posters has this site lost just since I joined in mid-2016?

Can you blame them really? It's gotten to the point where it infiltrates even the Best Bet and contest threads pretty much daily.

I don't need to name the offenders... though you more reasonable folks who respond to them are giving them exactly what they want and that doesn't really help things. You know who you are, too.

I'm not against arguing politics on message board forums... but most places have a separate sub-forum in which.... oh wait, look!!! There's ALREADY a "Politics and Government" sub-forum right here on this site!!!

JK, I BEG you to clean up the main page and keep this shit where it's supposed to be. NO more "gentlemen, please," or warnings. You rarely follow through on said warnings, so of course they're not taken seriously. Back in the whole McIrish fiasco, you stated in response to one of my questions that part of your job is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment in which to discuss sports betting topics. (I'm paraphrasing a bit because I can't remember the exact quote. I'm close though.)

Does EOG as it stands currently fit that description in your opinion?

I understand that you have a personal relationship with a lot of these posters and that makes it tougher for you. I get it. If you don't want to do it, make me a temporary mod for 30 days and I'll be the bad guy. No one will be perma-banned, but I guarantee you that when I'm done there won't be any more political posts (or associated juvenile name-calling) on the main page.

I've met one poster here one time in real life and that's ComptrBob. He joined some friends and I for dinner in Tahoe once. Besides that the closest I have to a personal relationship I guess is FairWarning, and that's only because he and I happened to grow up 15 minutes from each other, and we occasionally PM about stuff back home, like when someone we both know passes or whatever. I've never met him.

In other words, this will be done without fear or favor.

I don't work my real job again until June 1... I have time.

Be careful young lad. Betdsi tried to stiff Pattycakes over $900. They did stiff me. Over $160. I've been lucky. I've heard many horror stories but this is the first time I've been stiffed by an offshore book. Bet with legal books and you get paid within a day or even an hour after a payout is requested.

Very Dumb Dude has a couple of Nazi threads on page one. "Carry on Nazi" was actually sticky by JK? I created an odds thread that was quickly deleted after TonyMush complained. It's obvious who EOG caters too.

1. Carry on Very Dumb Dude
2. Carry on Bruce

Last edited:
Doesn't even take bans, just moving posts to the politics. Or as I have seen done on other non-gambling forums, you cut out any politics stuff and dump it into a catchall orphaned politics thread off in the proper place. They wisely take even a post that starts on the subject and then falls off the rails into politics and throw it into a misc politics thread. Looks hilarious when you see all the nonsense there. Teaches posters if they don't stay on topic at hand their stuff isn't going to stick around.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Doesn't even take bans, just moving posts to the politics. Or as I have seen done on other non-gambling forums, you cut out any politics stuff and dump it into a catchall orphaned politics thread off in the proper place. They wisely take even a post that starts on the subject and then falls off the rails into politics and throw it into a misc politics thread. Looks hilarious when you see all the nonsense there. Teaches posters if they don't stay on topic at hand their stuff isn't going to stick around.

Guy seem sharp ^^^^^^^

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Be careful young lad. Betdsi tried to stiff Pattycakes over $900. They did stiff me. Over $160. I've been lucky. I've heard many horror stories but this is the first time I've been stiffed by an offshore book. Bet with legal books and you get paid within a day or even an hour after a payout is requested.

Very Dumb Dude has a couple of Nazi threads on page one. "Carry on Nazi" was actually sticky by JK? I created an odds thread that was quickly deleted after TonyMush complained. It's obvious who EOG caters too.

2. Carry on Bruce

Catering? Gimme a grilled pastraham a fried donut and a Pepsi Cola.

Put it on my tab Carter and grab me a smoke.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for your thoughts, EJD.

I'm on the road right now.

I will return to the EOG wars next Tuesday.

Allow me until May 4 to institute your policy changes.

Agree with you and WILDBILL: No bans but every non-related sports/sports betting contributions to be moved from the main stage.

I also need to draw a red line (indelible ink) with Dude and 'Runner.

Bigrunner

EOG Master

Agree with you and WILDBILL: No bans but every non-related sports/sports betting contributions to be moved from the main stage.

Give Very Dumb Dude another sticky thread to post his Nazi thoughts.

2. Carry on Bruce

We get who you enable and tolerate. "Another thread", "another thread", "another thread" for Very Dumb Dude the Nazi's are chanting.

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
I think the problem here is that many people suffer from (undiagnosed) Internet addiction.
I spoke to a clinical psychologist about this years ago, and he told me that anyone who spends more than an hour a day on their phone/computer is spending way too much time.
We're even more dependent on the internet after the pandemic, and that's no likely to change.
What I regret is that there probably are gifted handicappers/gamblers who don't post here simply because they don't want to put up with the delusional rantings that several posters here seem intent on writing out every single day.

Bigrunner

EOG Master
I think the problem is ignorance in America is being taken advantage of by Fox News and OANN. There's a lot of truth to a sucker born every minute. Very Dumb Dude has his own sticky thread where he posted that tomorrow Benedict Donald will win the Arizona election. 6 days later he's still posting Benedict Donald will win Arizona. And he also has an unofficial best bet going on that outcome also. It may not be total ignorance because they do understand the lies and misinformation being spewed on Fox News. If it's not ignorance then the problem may be they don't know the difference between truth and lies. One wise man said ignorance is undefeatable and it gives the ignorant ones a sense of pride and power.

Last edited:

billysink

EOG Dedicated
I think the problem is ignorance in America is being taken advantage of by Fox News and OANN. There's a lot of truth to a sucker born every minute. Very Dumb Dude has his own sticky thread where he posted that tomorrow Benedict Donald will win the Arizona election. 6 days latter he's still posting Benedict Donald will win Arizona. And he also has an unofficial best bet going on that outcome also. It may not be total ignorance because they do understand the lies and misinformation being spewed on Fox News. If it's not ignorance then the problem may be they don't know the difference between truth and lies. One wise man said ignorance is undefeatable and it gives the ignorant ones a sense of pride and power.

Lighten up fella.

Enjoy stoooooopidity from a distance.

Check out the cheese curds doin this recount, that'll crack you up.

I'm hoping the Kraken shows up soon.

Who paid for this shit? Lynda Wood?

Bigrunner

EOG Master

Dumb Dude is a whackjob in the John Kelly making. Carry on Dumb Dude. Here's your own front page thread for you to use to attack the late Guesser.

Carry on Dumb Dude, I'll handle Bigrunner when I get back in town.

To participate on internet forums you need either:

1. a thick skin and/or

2. to use the ignore function to hide posts of posters whom one does not wish to see and/or to simply ignore them and/or

3. heavy moderation and/or everyone on post review (as per Punter's Lounge, for example).

railbird

EOG Master

1. a thick skin and/or

2. to use the ignore function to hide posts of posters whom one does not wish to see and/or to simply ignore them and/or

3. heavy moderation and/or everyone on post review (as per Punter's Lounge, for example).
100% of coaching hires are political. handicapping is political, math- models are political. honest math is not political, but most math-modelers are political and or liars

ComptrBob

EOG Master

1. a thick skin and/or

What I find most annoying is the "ignore" function doesn't ignore the user(s).

Threads are still promoted by a post from an ignored user when they shouldn't be, whereas threads started by the ignored poster are completely hidden and any subsequent "valid" posts to that thread are ignored. If the last poster to a thread is an "ignored poster", it replaces the last "valid" poster. I'm sure the forum software developer would claim these are too difficult to fix, but they are serious bugs nonetheless. They simply allow these pests to proliferate their garbage and spoil the environment as EJD posted above.

BTW, I see no problem in trying EJD as a moderator. If it would help, I would volunteer to be a monitor and have EJD run any proposed mods by me for a second opinion.

It sounds like new software may be needed to fix that ignore user function.

Personally if i see a post is about politics, which takes about 0.50 seconds of scanning it, i just move past it.

As for moderation here, it seems that many posts get moved to the Political or other forums when they are deemed unfit for this one. Just as at TheRx.

There is lots of useful sports talk here IMO. Of course this thread isn't one of them ; On that note, anyone up for banging some balls:

1619594255761.png

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
What I find most annoying is the "ignore" function doesn't ignore the user(s).

Threads are still promoted by a post from an ignored user when they shouldn't be, whereas threads started by the ignored poster are completely hidden and any subsequent "valid" posts to that thread are ignored. If the last poster to a thread is an "ignored poster", it replaces the last "valid" poster. I'm sure the forum software developer would claim these are too difficult to fix, but they are serious bugs nonetheless. They simply allow these pests to proliferate their garbage and spoil the environment as EJD posted above.

BTW, I see no problem in trying EJD as a moderator. If it would help, I would volunteer to be a monitor and have EJD run any proposed mods by me for a second opinion.

I like it.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
100% of coaching hires are political. handicapping is political, math- models are political. honest math is not political, but most math-modelers are political and or liars

In college, pretty much.

An addition - Its all about the math and science until it applies to them, then not so much.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Sad part is, it's not just posts about politics. Those matters as most have pointed out could be easily moved to where they belong. Cappers can occasionally or even on a more consistent basis throw shots at their fellow cappers, especially if they are opposed to a point a capper made to do their best and try and prove their point or debate. But when things get out of line, it becomes more personal, and that;s where JK at the very least institute a warning, whether on the forum or through PM., And if bans are needed, whether temporary or permanent, I saw so be it. You're only putting your forum standing in jeopardy. There's no room for this kind of crap on what is, or what seemingly used to be called a "sports forum". The days of serving a purpose similar to all are all but long gone unless specifically stressed for this place to be what it once was only a short time ago as EJD mentioned.

Erie Pigskins

EOG Enthusiast
Good luck with this experiment ejd. You’re a brave man.

what do you do when a thread is started about sports and fat fuck broken record big runner pollutes it with political drivel? Moving it isn’t going to solve the problem, and everyone knows who the problem is.

Bigrunner

EOG Master

I'm Railturd. My lock of the century is Benedict Donald to get reelected. I'll also be betting on him to win Georgia and the subsequent recounts. And Arizona and Nevada. Railturd sports where the edge is to past post and always bet against the black coach. They're hired for political reasons.

what do you do when a thread is started about sports and fat fuck broken record big runner pollutes it with political drivel? Moving it isn’t going to solve the problem, and everyone knows who the problem is.

1) delete off topic posts and/or

2) ignore them and/or

3) put offender on post review and or

4) ban offender for a period of time

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Good luck with this experiment ejd. You’re a brave man.

When I said no one will be perma-banned, the key word is "perma."

He (and everybody here for that matter) would get one strike and progressively longer suspensions would begin.

The rules would be made VERY clear.

I'm making it sound like I'm for heavy-handed moderation, but I'm really not. Bigrunner, Dell Dude, BM, Railbird, etc. can insult each other all they want... in either the Politics and Government or Asylum sub-forums. My only focus is keeping the main page free from it. Hell, I might even suggest adding an "Insult other posters here" sub-forum.

I get X-files' point on the ignore function, but as has been pointed out by others that function has serious flaws, and becomes quite cumbersome when one or two posters are shitposting in literally every single thread.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Let's chat next Tuesday, EJD.

Thanks for your help.

EOG contributor JAMMER has been offering some excellent guidance via PMs.

I will reach out to him as well.

boston massacre

EOG Master
It sounds like new software may be needed to fix that ignore user function.

Personally if i see a post is about politics, which takes about 0.50 seconds of scanning it, i just move past it.

As for moderation here, it seems that many posts get moved to the Political or other forums when they are deemed unfit for this one. Just as at TheRx.

There is lots of useful sports talk here IMO. Of course this thread isn't one of them ; On that note, anyone up for banging some balls:

View attachment 7463977

Nobody Going To Push Back on Mixing That , With Gambling Discussions !

billysink

EOG Dedicated
When I said no one will be perma-banned, the key word is "perma."

He (and everybody here for that matter) would get one strike and progressively longer suspensions would begin.

The rules would be made VERY clear.

I'm making it sound like I'm for heavy-handed moderation, but I'm really not. Bigrunner, Dell Dude, BM, Railbird, etc. can insult each other all they want... in either the Politics and Government or Asylum sub-forums. My only focus is keeping the main page free from it. Hell, I might even suggest adding an "Insult other posters here" sub-forum.

I get X-files' point on the ignore function, but as has been pointed out by others that function has serious flaws, and becomes quite cumbersome when one or two posters are shitposting in literally every single thread.

Fella when you hit Sinker with the ban hammer make it fukkin permanent. Chitty got enough ridglings trying their hand at one of the most important roles in their lives.

Let them raisins drop fella you got Bob Tablet there holding your rudder what the fukk else can a fledgling Chitty mod ask for.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
As far as politics go kids, just remember that the French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Dutch.

And I don't like anybody very much.

That is all.

pete mcmeat

EOG Senior Member
ejd needs to find him a girlfriend.....how can you be this passionate about a chitty room...what a fvcking loser

Bigrunner

EOG Master
I'll be reaching out to both EJD and ComptrBob on Tuesday, May 4.

I guess you didn't make any progress on getting Betdsi to pay me?

Can you sticky a page one thread for ignorant CompBoob like you did for Dumb Dude. Call it "Carry on Ignorant Boob".

Not only is CompBoob ignorant, Benedict Donald and Rudy are Traitors. For the late Guesser. Vindication is sweet.

Last edited:

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am

Under normal circumstances, I completely agree with the OP but we live in very dangerous times, America is under attack. We've got a wall around the Capital but they don't want a wall around our country. That tells you everything you need to know.

I know w/ computers electing the Biden Cartel that we are in a Post-Constitutional America (those fraudulent results never should have stood) yet I will hold the line.