Remembering Vin Scully

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Recognized as the best in the business, as a broadcaster, who not just in baseball where you, the fan could just sit back for a couple of hours and listen to him broadcast a game in solo fashion with no need of a sidekick or color guy as partners would be called in the past. Scully went on to be a legend at what he did best

Whether it be the amazingly dranatic world series HR bya hobbling Kirk Gibson off Dennis Eckersley in game 1 of the 1988 World Series, Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series, against the Dodgers, Billy Buckner's error on a grounder through his legs, that propelled the Mets to eventually win the 1986 World Series over the Boston Red Sox, Dwight Clark's catch against the Cowboys in the 1981 NFC Championship game at Candlestick Park that sent the San Francisco 48ers to the Super Bowl. He went on to be a part of broadcasting 25 World Series, 20 no hitters, and countless other historic baseball moments along with calling numerous golf tournaments, Sculltly also announced in 12 all star games, 3 perfect games, (Larsen, Koufax, Dennis Martinez) and would go on to be the youngest broadcast to ever call a World Series.

Scully spent a total of 67 years announcing Brooklyn, and eventually Los Angeles baseball games in the Dodgers organization. He passed away yesterday evening at the age of 94. RIP

Last edited:

boston massacre

EOG Master
As Far As Listening To Someone Broadcast Baseball, He Was, As Frank Sinatra Sang, King Of The Hill--- Top Of The Heap.

His Call In The 86 World Series.

Heim

EOG Master

"In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened."​

Maybe the greatest ad-lib quote in sports, possibly a close second to Al Michael's celebration call during Olympic
hockey miracle....

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
After “…and the Mets win it!”, Vin Scully didn’t say anything for @ a minute.
This was intentional.
He’s mentioned that a colleague- I think it was Mel Allen- said when there’s a dramatic moment like that, he shuts up and let’s the fan pandemonium do the talking.

I like that idea. Savor the moment and the crowd reaction without a Captain Obvious announcer injecting himself into it.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
This was intentional.
He’s mentioned that a colleague- I think it was Mel Allen- said when there’s a dramatic moment like that, he shuts up and let’s the fan pandemonium do the talking.

I like that idea. Savor the moment and the crowd reaction without a Captain Obvious announcer injecting himself into it.
Scully did the same silence with Gibsons home run.

railbird

EOG Master

Maybe the greatest ad-lib quote in sports, possibly a close second to Al Michael's celebration call during Olympic
hockey miracle....
my favorite was the 1981 playoffs astros vs dodgers in a close game in the late innings vinny said. " ITS ART HOWE vs STEVE HOWE, and HOW,

boston massacre

EOG Master
This was intentional.

and the Mets win it!”

Listen To Those Words Closely.

He Comes Close To Choking, From Disbelief.

Heim

EOG Master

hockey miracle....

Btw, this was from Gibby's WC game winner, and not Fezzik picking a underdog.

boston massacre

EOG Master
This was intentional.

Bill Buckner's Life Was Never The Same After That.

He Searched For Anonymity All Over America, And Could Never Find It.

Even Tried The Log Cabins in Montana, Without Success.

The Curse Of The Bambino , I Think , Had A Lot To Do With It.

Red Sox Were A Step Away From Breaking The Curse, But The Slow Roller, As Vince Called It, Went Thru Buckner's Legs.