Removal of Self-Checkout Machines

This article below mentions that some supermarkets are eliminating (or considering eliminating) self-checkout machines. I think this is a good way to create jobs and improve business at the same time. I'm sure there has to be a lot of theft with customers putting in for lower price items than they buy. I personally will not use self-checkout and hope this trend will continue. The automation in many different industries is ruining the economy by creating more unemployment. Not to mention it is very impersonal and there are often problems with automated machines.

Major grocer getting rid of self-checkout lanes - Business - Consumer news - Retail - msnbc.com

Re: Removal of Self-Checkout Machines

I like them. There were some wrinkles initially when they had that "item removed from bagging area" sensor set too tightly. But I prefer them as I can scan, bag and pay for my groceries quicker than they can. You've got one person monitoring four checkout stations, and Albertson's ain't hiring 3 more checkers and opening 3 more lanes, I assure you.

This just means waiting in line now for the "pleasure" of making small talk when I'm trying to snag stuff and get going.

If I want entertaining personal interaction, I'll go to OG's.

The economy needs more than burger-flippers and checkers to get going again.

markinsac

EOG Dedicated

Jobs are jobs. It's real tough out there. Even minimum wage jobs will help get things going . . .

True enough, but where are we going with this concept?

Are we going to eliminate self-service gas pumps so that we can go back to the '50's with the man with the star coming out to pump my gas and take my credit card information? There's at least 10 people gassing up at the same time at the Chevron station I go to. We now have to wait for someone to come out to pump the gas? And pay extra for the privilege as that is factored into the gasoline price?

No more ATM's, so I've got to go inside a bank during banking hours to top up my wallet as well?

This may be a kooky concept, but let's go forward rather than backward. Solar energy plants are marginally economical at this point. But if we're going to spend billions on "stimulus" and bailouts that just line rich people's pockets, let's instead build the smart grid infrastructure required to get the electricity from the Southwest to the rest of the country and use all this sunshine we have out here to power the country.

Put people to work, stimulate the economy, go green, and get us off foreign oil (use all that power and/or American natural gas to power our vehicles) all in one fell swoop.

But, again, I'll be greatly surprised if Albertson's puts four checkers working in place of the 4 self-checkout stations monitored by one worker. Now that worker will be serving only one person at a time rather than up to four at a time.

Automation isn't what put this economy in a tailspin -- it was easy money from the Fed fueling unsustainable bubbles that resulted in an inevitable crash where the big players then were bailed out with public money. Making me wait in line at Albertson's . . . and the gas station . . . and the bank . . . ain't gonna fix that.

New Jersey only has full service gas and they have some of the lowest gas prices. I always try to get gas when I am driving through there - the attendant just puts each pump on automatically and goes back and forth from one to another. It doesn't take any extra time and it's more convenient. I have even seen some exclusively full service gas stations in other states. They are sometimes priced the same as self serve - the stations just offer it to attract more customers.

I don't care for the whole idea of self service - companies do it to reduce jobs and pass free work off on the customer. If you want to work as a cashier or teller, you can apply at the location and get paid - there's no reason to do it for free.

Different strokes, fer sure.

I like what for me is the convenience of zipping right through a self-checkout.

Would be nice if Albertson's left me the freedom to choose, as I always can go stand in the line for a checker now if I don't want to provide them free labor. Time is the bigger value for me (and I'd love those Jersey style gas stations if they got me through quicker). Wouldn't want Fezzik coming along and saying that waiting in a checkout line was a "leak" or anything like that, lol.

As it is, I'll probably exercise my freedom of choice now to shop at the Smith's that's right across Maryland Parkway. Like I say, I'd rather that Albertson's allow me the freedom to choose the type of checkout line for myself (shades of "paper or plastic?"), but they aren't, so . . . .

markinsac

EOG Dedicated

I think they need to remove slot machines at the grocery stores in Vegas

Wade

EOG Master

self checkouts are great. it doesn't ask you some bullshit question like how are you? cashier doesn't give a fuck how you are. they just say that cause they have to.